Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gtaboy

[FIXED] PC doesnt give video signal from inside case, Outside case i get it perfectly working.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello thanks for reading this,

I just recently upgraded my gpu from a 1050ti --> 1070ti. But problems started there, Did not fit, so i had to get a new cpu cooler. Now my pc wont boot inside the case, but it wil outside ( I GET NO VIDEO OUTPUT ON MY MONITOR INSIDE THE CASE BUT MY MONITOR DOES WORK WHEN PLUGGED IN WHEN THE SYSTEM IS EXTERNAL)    (Example: Right now i have it on my desk on the motherboard box with everything installed, turn on with screwdriver-shorting the power pins.)

Specifications:

-Motherboard: Asus prime b450m-k

-Cpu: amd ryzen 5 1600x

-Cpu cooler: Cooler Master Masterliquid lite 120

-Gpu: Gigabyte gtx 1070ti gaming 8gb (triple fan design)

-M.2 for windows Corsair MP510 240gb NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 SSD

-PSU: Corsair VS550 (Works perfectly outside the case too!)

I have been trying to get it fixed for like 3 weeks now, at first i did not know it was because of the case so i trouble shooted inside the case. Example: Removing the gpu, reseating the cpu, tightening the cpu fan, but at that point i was unaware of it working outside the case. So luckily my hardware is not defect. 

I, think i know its just a static something, a short in the circuit of what. But i am out of ideas. If my case is static for some reason --> what way to discharge it, and then try putting everything back in. 

Also if there would be a short in the circuit, i dont know where. it could be the standoffs in the case.

I am out of ideas, please if you know anything i would appreciate it if you helped.     Greets Jeffrey

Sounds like a grounding issue with backplate of the CPU cooler more than anything. 

PSU Tier List Thread

"White Ice"

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus Crosshair VI Hero | EVGA RTX 2080ti Black | Flare X 14-14-14-34 3200mhz 16gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

Samsung 850 evo 250gb | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 2x Corsair ML140 Pro White LED case fans | 3x Corsair ML120 Pro White LED Case Fans 

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 1800x | Asrock B450M Pro 4 | 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3200mhz | EVGA B3 450w | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Elgato HD60 Pro | Elgato 4k60 Pro mk.2

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Sounds like a grounding issue with backplate of the CPU cooler more than anything. 

Okay so, there is a metal plate on the backside of the motherboard to tighten the cpu cooler to, if i remove that the cpu cooler doesnt have anything to hold.

And btw my case (Old antec dark fleet df-30 mid tower) does have a cutout at the back of the motherboard, so it isn't touching the case itself. 

I look forward to your comment 👍

4 minutes ago, Gtaboy said:

Okay so, there is a metal plate on the backside of the motherboard to tighten the cpu cooler to, if i remove that the cpu cooler doesnt have anything to hold.

And btw my case (Old antec dark fleet df-30 mid tower) does have a cutout at the back of the motherboard, so it isn't touching the case itself. 

I look forward to your comment 👍

its not the case its touching, its something on the back of the motherboard. Take it off and remount the backplate to the board and make sure the rubber gasket is lined up correctly. 

PSU Tier List Thread

"White Ice"

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus Crosshair VI Hero | EVGA RTX 2080ti Black | Flare X 14-14-14-34 3200mhz 16gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

Samsung 850 evo 250gb | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 2x Corsair ML140 Pro White LED case fans | 3x Corsair ML120 Pro White LED Case Fans 

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 1800x | Asrock B450M Pro 4 | 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3200mhz | EVGA B3 450w | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Elgato HD60 Pro | Elgato 4k60 Pro mk.2

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

its not the case its touching, its something on the back of the motherboard. Take it off and remount the backplate to the board and make sure the rubber gasket is lined up correctly. 

Will put on things to try list, right now i will just be playing gaming outside my case, i cannot handle it not working right now

thanks for your reply

On 8/19/2019 at 11:51 AM, Skiiwee29 said:

nothing is working, I AM SO DESPERATE>>!!!! Please if you ever had a simular issue please respond

16 minutes ago, Gtaboy said:

nothing is working, I AM SO DESPERATE>>!!!! Please if you ever had a simular issue please respond

Do you still have the stock cooler from the 1600x? Give that a try and see if it will boot up with the stock cooler. 

PSU Tier List Thread

"White Ice"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

Do you still have the stock cooler from the 1600x? Give that a try and see if it will boot up with the stock cooler. 

Yeah funny story; 1600x doesnt come with a stock cooler. and Fysically the other cooler i have right now wont fit with the gpu beneath it. ps. Everything works perfect outside the case still

17 minutes ago, Gtaboy said:

Yeah funny story; 1600x doesnt come with a stock cooler. and Fysically the other cooler i have right now wont fit with the gpu beneath it. ps. Everything works perfect outside the case still

If it works perfectly outside but not inside, then you have a grounding issue in the case. Are the stand offs in the proper spot? No extra stand offs touching the motherboard anywhere?

PSU Tier List Thread

"White Ice"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

If it works perfectly outside but not inside, then you have a grounding issue in the case. Are the stand offs in the proper spot? No extra stand offs touching the motherboard anywhere?

I dont thinkk thats the problem since i have been stuck with this for a solid month. luckily it isnt hardware related because my hardware works perfectly outside the case (playing bf 1 rn)..      Standoffs are correctly installed in the 6 holes of the mobo, also tried only 4. 

2 minutes ago, Gtaboy said:

I dont thinkk thats the problem since i have been stuck with this for a solid month. luckily it isnt hardware related because my hardware works perfectly outside the case (playing bf 1 rn)..      Standoffs are correctly installed in the 6 holes of the mobo, also tried only 4. 

Well at this point, the only variable is the case. You can see if you can figure it out where the grounding problem is, or RMA the case if able. 

PSU Tier List Thread

"White Ice"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Well at this point, the only variable is the case. You can see if you can figure it out where the grounding problem is, or RMA the case if able. 

No I inherited the case, then upgraded hardware.. So no warranty RMA

Try putting all the parts in the case and see if you can start it in case with the screw driver method.  It could be your power button/front panel wire are broken.

1 minute ago, Worstcaster said:

Try putting all the parts in the case and see if you can start it in case with the screw driver method.  It could be your power button/front panel wire are broken.

Thanks for the tip, but i knew that already. Used it to start up my pc always outside the case (cuz it works outside not inside) and while its inside i still use the screwdriver for now. So no sorry that doesnt fix it

12 minutes ago, Worstcaster said:

* All the LED's are on, The fans are spinning! So its not ''powering on'' thats the issue. Its really the booting and getiing the signal to see anything

This is going to sound like a really stupid question, since you are obviously doing this outside the case, but when you put everything in are you plugging into the graphics card output instead of the MOBO?

Just now, Worstcaster said:

This is going to sound like a really stupid question, since you are obviously doing this outside the case, but when you put everything in are you plugging into the graphics card output instead of the MOBO?

I actually need to plug my diplay port into my videocard because A. my motherboard doesnt have that slot B. My CPU 1600x does not have intergrated graphics. So yes i do plug my monitor cable into my gpu like everyone should right? I know you are trying to help i appreciate it

No problem, I figured you were, but it was the only other thing I could think of besides the already suggested, it is touching somewhere and shorting out.

2 minutes ago, Worstcaster said:

No problem, I figured you were, but it was the only other thing I could think of besides the already suggested, it is touching somewhere and shorting out.

Yes well it could be, But where?? Because like nothing is touching or anything. Exept for the stand-offs.. and those should... 

Check the fan cables.  Make sure none of the insulation has worn off of them.  That could generate a short that wouldn't happen outside the case.

Just now, Worstcaster said:

Check the fan cables.  Make sure none of the insulation has worn off of them.  That could generate a short that wouldn't happen outside the case.

Cable looks great, thanks for thinking with me, but this unfortunately wasn’t the problem. I still need a fix.CEF4A819-5955-4039-AFFB-39FDCC93AEA3.thumb.jpeg.ef2e4673a9ead33a61ad9ba8467813c0.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Gtaboy said:

Cable looks great, thanks for thinking with me, but this unfortunately wasn’t the problem. I still need a fix.

Ok take a deep breath we're just trying to help. If you have tested multiple times that the computer does not display in the case itself but is fine when you have it hooked up on the motherboard box outside the case it could be the pcie slot itself. If you can reinstall the components back in the case and then put the case on it's side instead of standing upright so the motherboard is laying flat like how it would be on the box, if it works with the case on it's side it just means the pcie slot is bad and it's not making the correct connection when the case is upright and the GPU is sagging, so try using the gpu in the other pcie slot.

Main Desktop: Cpu - I7-8700k @5ghz | Mobo - Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E | Gpu - Asus ROG STRIX 2080ti OC Ram - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200mhz | Aio - H100i Pro RGB | Psu - Evga 850 GQ | Case - Fractal Design Meshify C White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 1x 1TB 1x 512GB / 1x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 4TB HDD |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10+ - Ceramic White 512GB |

If you ask for a Mid Tower case recommend, I will 90% of the time recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C or S2.

9 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Ok take a deep breath we're just trying to help. If you have tested multiple times that the computer does not display in the case itself but is fine when you have it hooked up on the motherboard box outside the case it could be the pcie slot itself. If you can reinstall the components back in the case and then put the case on it's side instead of standing upright so the motherboard is laying flat like how it would be on the box, if it works with the case on it's side it just means the pcie slot is bad and it's not making the correct connection when the case is upright and the GPU is sagging, so try using the gpu in the other pcie slot.

Thanks for your response!

i have always tried installing the gpu when its laying down because i figured it was easier to do laying down. So unfortunately that does not work. + i sadly only have 1 PCI-E x16 slot for my gpu because it is a micro itx board

19 hours ago, Worstcaster said:

That's all I've got for now.   If something else comes to mind, I'll let you know. 

I am letting a friend of my mom take a look, I will post the fix here if he finds it. He's a expert with hardware 👍