Mojang announces Minecraft RTX after the cancelation of Super Duper Graphics Pack

williamcll

Minecraft RTX  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer textures or lighting

• Textures
    • Lighting

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

3) I hope there is a way to brute force this on non RTX Turing like with other benchmarks or games.

I suspect there won't be, or if there is, it will perform so poorly that it won't really be worth using.  Given that they're specifically targeting RTX hardware, as opposed to the existing raytracing mods for Java which aim to bring that functionality to any traditionally powerful GPU, I would expect that the optimizations necessary for doing it well on traditional hardware will be absent, and that they will perhaps target a graphical level that's above what those cards could handle.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

snip

Oh rip. Does the 1650 just not have enough VRAM?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

What's interesting actually about this from a gameplay perspective, rather than the technical perspective that's mainly focused on by the forum, is this is the first "official" lighting mod.  I think this matters because with any shaders or lighting mods, you get into a situation where the appearance of light does not actually correlate with the way light is understood by the game internally - an issue not present when using the default lighting engine.  This is understood and wilfully ignored by non-technical players just looking for a nicer image, but there's something interesting about offering it officially imo.  I guess because it's sort of a "broken" state that people are ok with as a mod but feels strange coming from the source.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, sazrocks said:

THIS IS FOR THE WINDOWS 10 NATIVE "BEDROCK" EDITION. NOT FOR JAVA EDITION.

Doesn't matter. Java modding community has probably already had a mod for this from 2011. Killed, revived, and transferred mod maintainers 8 different times, but it's still there.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

7 hours ago, sazrocks said:

Just going to put this here because people seem to forget that there are different versions of minecraft:

Interesting, they added normal maps too (though IMO it looks really lazy on grass/dirt). There's obviously a lot more than just ray tracing going on here.

I'm curious to see what the performance is compared to Sonic Ether's SEUS PTGI raytracting shaders for java edition, which currently requires a GTX 1080 to get ~60FPS at 1080p (It's not easily possible to make shaders use RTX cores in the java edition). It'd end up being pretty funny if one guy was able to make software raytracing perform better than Mojang's hardware-based implementation.

Edit: SEUS PTGI E7 for comparison (still in alpha):

Holy boop.

Got to admit i actually like the lightning in the official setup too, but ehh don't know if i'm sold.

Also OP can the poll have a neither option. Haven't played minecraft in ages but the graphics where never the draw TBH.

2 hours ago, Sushimus said:

Nobody else is gonna point out how RTX minecraft makes a bunch of things look like they're made of cheap plastics?... Just me that sees it?

Well minecraft is pretty much LEGO, so i don't see an issue in that.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

6 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Minecraft is just soooooooooooooooo bad for texture looks that clearly the already existing mods for raytracing look so much better thanks to the better textures compared to the rtx implementation with native textures.

Well if RTX is just going to be an added graphics setting then there more than likely isn't going to be a problem using a texture pack with it.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Well, I'm screwed. I don't even have an rtx card. And Minecraft is one of my favorite games! After seeing that video, Minecraft will never seem as great again.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

1) Windows 10 Edition only - You lost me there. I'm sticking with Java Edition. The real version of Minecraft.

2) Also this feels scummy after cancelling the Super Duper Graphics Pack

3) I hope there is a way to brute force this on non RTX Turing like with other benchmarks or games.

On 8/14/2019 at 2:24 PM, AluminiumTech said:

Oh yeah definitely. If they can't do this then you can pretty much forget a ray traced update.

Sorry, I had to. This does feel pretty scummy but I'm not sure microshaft would cancel a platform agnostic upgrade just to implement RTX, i think maybe RTX was implemented internally as a test and once they realized super duper couldnt run on consoles they said "fuck it, we'll render it live!"

Also should point out they do plan to support all platforms//hardare that support DXR so this wont stay Windows 10 or Nvidia exclusive.

We couldn’t be more excited to take advantage of the new ray tracing technology from NVIDIA. It’ll be playable on Windows 10 with devices that are capable of DirectX R, such as with an NVIDIA GeForce RTX GPU (and we plan to expand it to future platforms that support DirectX R raytracing).  

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

The mod for raytracing implementation in minecraft looks way better than the official version lol... and it doesn't even need rtx

11 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Considering the other aspects of Minecrafts graphics, its even more of a gimmick then it is in BFV (where you are insane to turn it on, at least in MP).

However when it comes to games where lighting actively enhances the atmosphere (eg: Resident Evil series, Metro series, some open world games) however, it would be fantastic.

I disagree entirely. I think a game with very simple geometry/textures has the most to gain from overhauled lighting. Whereas you look at a lot of the AAA tech demos for RTX and at times you need to really magnify screenshots to even notice the differences, in a game like Minecraft with all sharp corners and lots of transparent blocks or placeable light sources, the difference is striking. I've messed around a bit with PTGI on the Java version and it completely changes the feel of the game, even with a vanilla-ish texture pack (just with normal maps to make things actually pop). The current mod is still janky at times, but it's in active development and has improved dramatically in recent months. 

Also, keep in mind that a significant portion of Minecraft takes place in underground tunnels and caverns where the only light source are torches, lava and the occasional sunlight that breaks through. From a gameplay perspective, MC has way more to gain from ray traced lighting than a game like BF where it's just eye candy that you are likely moving far to fast to really take in.

16 hours ago, williamcll said:

-snip-

GTX 1080 to get ~60FPS at 1080p (It's not easily possible to make shaders use RTX cores in the java edition). It'd end up being pretty funny if one guy was able to make software raytracing perform better than Mojang's hardware-based implementation.

16 hours ago, sazrocks said:

Just going to put this here because people seem to forget that there are different versions of minecraft:

Interesting, they added normal maps too (though IMO it looks really lazy on grass/dirt). There's obviously a lot more than just ray tracing going on here.

I'm curious to see what the performance is compared to Sonic Ether's SEUS PTGI raytracting shaders for java edition, which currently requires a GTX 1080 to get ~60FPS at 1080p (It's not easily possible to make shaders use RTX cores in the java edition). It'd end up being pretty funny if one guy was able to make software raytracing perform better than Mojang's hardware-based implementation.

Edit: SEUS PTGI E7 running on a 1080ti for comparison (still in alpha):

So it's for the garbage pay to play version only? Hard pass.

UFDTech did a good video on this completely exposing the shenanigens going on with Minecraft. NVIDIA trying to get more RTX games out and hurting a lot of people in the process.

My Rigs | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 | GPU: AMD Radeon Powercolor 7800XT Hellhound | RAM: 32GB of G.Skill Trident Z Neo @3600MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W G+ | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C TG | SSDs: WD BLACK SN850X 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | SSHD: Seagate FireCuda 2TB (Backup) | HDD: Seagate IronWolf 4TB (Backup of Other PCs) | Capture Card: AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2 | Monitors: AOC G2590PX & Acer XV272U Pbmiiprzx | UPS: APC BR1500GI Back-UPS Pro | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 | Mouse: Razer Naga Pro | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

First System: Dell Dimension E521 with AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 3GB DDR2 RAM

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List

15 hours ago, LeSheen said:

How many even play the bedrock edition? Played since the alpha and never migrated from java to bedrock. I think there are a lot of players like me.

Are the player populations known?

think its more, about 100 million

✨FNIGE✨

2 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Huh? Minecraft is a paid game and has been for a long, long time.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

3 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Huh? Minecraft is a paid game and has been for a long, long time.

I think he means the marketplace in bedrock.

2 hours ago, Mooshi said:

There is a version for java, just that you have to wait for a bit for it to leave development ( or pay to SEUS patreon )

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

7 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

think its more, about 100 million

Just talking about the pc playerbase leaving the console versions out of the scope.

On 8/19/2019 at 5:01 PM, Origami Cactus said:

Well minecraft is pretty much LEGO, so i don't see an issue in that.

Lego games and movies actually look good though...

On 8/19/2019 at 5:04 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

Well if RTX is just going to be an added graphics setting then there more than likely isn't going to be a problem using a texture pack with it.

That remains to be seen though! You probably can switch textures but I'm not sure you'd be able to change the rest of the material. Knowing nvidia it could be hidden behind a closed wall quite drastically !

On 8/19/2019 at 6:07 PM, Mooshi said:

If you have the Java version of MC and Windows 10 you get the Bedrock version of MC for free. At least you did for the last few months.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

OK this is pure BS. So after cancelling super duper pack that was "too technically difficult" and was not running well across platforms they implement nvidia raytracing that is even more complex and runs on marginal amount of hardware? I smell shilling out!

On 8/19/2019 at 12:49 AM, sazrocks said:

Edit: SEUS PTGI E7 running on a 1080ti for comparison (still in alpha):

The best part is, you know for an absolute fact that they didn't give 2 shits about it until that became popular.

It also looks amazingly shit with the "default" textures, but as mentioned it now also has normal or displacement and reflection maps.

#Muricaparrotgang