Mojang announces Minecraft RTX after the cancelation of Super Duper Graphics Pack

williamcll

Minecraft RTX  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer textures or lighting

• Textures
    • Lighting

Mojang and Nvidia are officially announcing RTX support for Minecraft at gamescon along with some other games. 

The upcoming update will bring realisitc lighting to minecraft, likely better than path-tracing mods. 

By Andrew Burnes on August 19, 2019 | GeForce RTX GPUs 

Everyone’s heard of Minecraft, the world’s best-selling game, in which you craft a world out of blocks, and explore with friends across devices. It’s played by tens of millions, of all ages and backgrounds, and is even used in classrooms worldwide.

At the core of Minecraft’s success is its open world sandbox, where you do and make anything, and in recent years the possibilities of the sandbox have exploded with players creating new add-ons, as well as mods and shader packs that enhance Minecraft’s appearance on PC. And now, together with Mojang, we have reached a stunning new level of realism with the introduction of real-time DXR raytracing for the Windows 10 edition of Minecraft.

Minecraft with RTX will refit the entire game with path tracing, a form of ray tracing featuring incredible levels of detail, affecting almost every pixel of every scene. You’ll see lifelike lighting, reflections and shadows, plus so much more, exemplifying the power of ray tracing and demonstrating why game developers like Mojang and Microsoft are working together with NVIDIA to enhance upcoming blockbusters with ray tracing.

Source :

Nvidia

Wccftech

Thoughts: Considering how long minecraft patches arrive it will still take a long time for RTX to appear. I also wonder would it cause trouble with mods? 

What do you prefer, better textures or better lights? 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just going to put this here because people seem to forget that there are different versions of minecraft:

THIS IS FOR THE WINDOWS 10 NATIVE "BEDROCK" EDITION. NOT FOR JAVA EDITION.

Interesting, they added normal maps too (though IMO it looks really lazy on grass/dirt). There's obviously a lot more than just ray tracing going on here.

I'm curious to see what the performance is compared to Sonic Ether's SEUS PTGI raytracting shaders for java edition, which currently requires a GTX 1080 to get ~60FPS at 1080p (It's not easily possible to make shaders use RTX cores in the java edition). It'd end up being pretty funny if one guy was able to make software raytracing perform better than Mojang's hardware-based implementation.

Edit: SEUS PTGI E7 running on a 1080ti for comparison (still in alpha):

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

lighting is more important than textures, however I wouldn't pay that much for a gimmick that only runs at low frame rates. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Just going to put this here because people seem to forget that there are different versions of minecraft:

THIS IS FOR THE WINDOWS 10 NATIVE "BEDROCK" EDITION. NOT FOR JAVA EDITION.

Interesting, they added normal maps too (though IMO it looks really lazy on grass/dirt). There's obviously a lot more than just ray tracing going on here.

Interestingly enough, I recieved a free key for the windows version. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 minute ago, williamcll said:

Interestingly enough, I recieved a free key for the windows version. 

Yes, at one time you received a key for the windows 10 edition just for owning the Java edition; this might still be a thing. Interestingly that kind of makes purchasing the windows 10 version completely pointless considering they cost about the same.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

That look inferior compare to "already available" ray tracing mods. ?

1. Do you prefer textures or lighting

UnfitPhonyEsok-size_restricted.gif

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

32 minutes ago, williamcll said:

I also wonder would it cause trouble with mods? 

oh yea it's gonna cause a lot of issues

back in 1.8 so much changed in the back end of the game that it took a really long time for some common mods (thermal expansion for example) to release as a alpha, yes alpha, most mods usally have a beta build done about 3 weeks after the update is released (back in pre-1.8 days), it took 3 months for the alpha build...

and even then a crap load wasn't even implemented, Team CoFH (the creators of thermal expansion) only had basic blocks and items done (things like metal blocks and ingots), it took another month to get tile entity's working (things like the redstone furnace)

something like this would even screw up optifine, a mod that already has Ray-tracing abilitys that can be added in via a shader pack

if it was an addon that doesn't replace minecraft's existing render code then this would be fine, but it's most likely going to replace it and many mods, including optifne, will break and are going to spend a long time implementing support, i wouldn't be surprised if it took the boys over at optifine took over 3-6 months to even get a beta build out.

optifine usually has a build out after a month...

the minecraft modding scene is almost dead, this is just going to further kill it...

1.8 was the first nail, ray-tracing may be the last...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Just now, Salv8 (sam) said:

*talking about java edition*

*sigh*

I tried putting this in giant font on the first reply in hope that people might actually read it before replying. Maybe I should make it bigger...

Anyways, this is for the Windows 10 native "Bedrock" edition. Not for Java edition. This will not affect the java edition in any way shape or form.

Also, modding recovered after 1.8; 1.12 is a version with plenty of mods.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

Just saw it in Apknite's group, funny thing is that of all games with raytracing support, it's actually most noticeable in Minecraft :P I do wonder what's the performance impact (there were fanmods before that relied on OpenGL software level implementation and it was quite horrible, this however might use RT cores considering Nvidia promotes it).

17 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

That look inferior compare to "already available" ray tracing mods. ?

I think they look pretty good actually. One thing that's pretty impressive to me is that as far as I can tell, they managed to properly simulate water refraction, not only reflection.

Also, what shaderpacks are already available that can do this? The only one that I know of is SEUS PTGI, which is still in alpha.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

47 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

'm curious to see what the performance is compared to Sonic Ether's SEUS PTGI raytracting shaders for java edition, which currently requires a GTX 1080 to get ~60FPS at 1080p

i have one of those. So it won't be that big of a deal

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

Alright Nvidia, you got me now with this exclusive. 

8 minutes ago, mikeperry said:

there were fanmods before that relied on OpenGL software level implementation and it was quite horrible

Performance certainly isn't great, but I really don't think you can call the shader as a whole "quite horrible", especially when it looks like this when combined with a decent texturepack: 

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

1 hour ago, sazrocks said:

NOT FOR JAVA EDITION.

Not interested then, lol.

'IM THE VIDEO GAME BOY, IM THE ONE WHO WINS' - Arin Hanson

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

lighting is more important than textures, however I wouldn't pay that much for a gimmick that only runs at low frame rates. 

Minecraft is just soooooooooooooooo bad for texture looks that clearly the already existing mods for raytracing look so much better thanks to the better textures compared to the rtx implementation with native textures.

Smart move from NV, this will probably get a whole bunch of people to want to get RTX cards.

There's going to be a lot of parents begged for overpriced graphics cards....

How many even play the bedrock edition? Played since the alpha and never migrated from java to bedrock. I think there are a lot of players like me.

Are the player populations known?

1 hour ago, sazrocks said:

[...] It'd end up being pretty funny if one guy was able to make software raytracing perform better than Mojang's hardware-based implementation. [...]

Wouldn't it just? xD And yet, if the history of the Java version is anything to go by, that's certainly not out of the question

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, TrigrH said:

When you need a 2080ti to play minecraft. lmfao

So much for the bullshit about the super dooper pack not running well.

textures are not the same is light effects. you can run realistic shaders far easier than high res (x512) textures.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Considering the other aspects of Minecrafts graphics, its even more of a gimmick then it is in BFV (where you are insane to turn it on, at least in MP).

However when it comes to games where lighting actively enhances the atmosphere (eg: Resident Evil series, Metro series, some open world games) however, it would be fantastic.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

textures are not the same is light effects. you can run realistic shaders far easier than high res (x512) textures.

RTX is no way lighter than running higher textures.

1) Windows 10 Edition only - You lost me there. I'm sticking with Java Edition. The real version of Minecraft.

2) Also this feels scummy after cancelling the Super Duper Graphics Pack

3) I hope there is a way to brute force this on non RTX Turing like with other benchmarks or games.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

By the way, Minecraft Bedrock Edition is also getting the new game engine "Render Dragon" which should make for much better performance.

This is part of the same news as the topic news so that's why I'm posting it here rather than new topic.

https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/render-dragon-and-nvidia-ray-tracing

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),