1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yeah this is interesting, i forgot that sockets are shared between cpu back in the days. But if you have Pentium 2 is a no go, since it has socket 8.

If you can find AMD k6-3 in socket 7 it would be awesome.

Pentium ][ is slot 1 if I remember it correctly.

Desktop:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ (@ 3.00ghz)

ATI Radeon X1950XTX

MSI K9A2 Platinum (ms-7376)

Generic/Unknown PSU (350w)

AMD Phenom Stock CPU Cooler

Philips 107T5 (Will be replaced soon)

1GB Elpida OEM DDR2 (Will be replaced soon)

(our head priest's name is ZUN in all caps)

You know, you may say why do I ask this. Testing an OS on real hardware is not the same like in a vm and testing software too. With a real computer you are in the open world, you can make every thing you want.

In my first year of university (around the time Duron processors were launched) I had a 486 66 Mhz with a 350 MB SCSI HDD and 1x CD-ROM drive running Windows 95 ... was able to browse the net using Opera and play music with Winamp .. it was a HP Vectra machine

With Windows 98 se you should be able to run Firefox, some early, early versions .. google says Firefox 2.0.0.20 is the last ever version of Firefox for Win98 / SE / ME  but you can install KernelEx  and then get Firefox up to version 10 ... see http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/wiki/Mozilla_Firefox

KernelEx is like an unofficial service pack that brings some DLLs from Windows 2000/XP to Windows 98 and makes some applications that try to refuse working on anything less than 2000 or XP work on 98 / Me etc.

edit; Yes, a lot of modern software will require at least SSE which is present since around pentium 3... so that can be an issue with older stuff... but there's still lots of classic games that may play great on proper hardware from that time.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

In my first year of university (around the time Duron processors were launched) I had a 486 66 Mhz with a 350 MB SCSI HDD and 1x CD-ROM drive running Windows 95 ... was able to browse the net using Opera and play music with Winamp .. it was a HP Vectra machine

With Windows 98 se you should be able to run Firefox, some early, early versions .. google says Firefox 2.0.0.20 is the last ever version of Firefox for Win98 / SE / ME  but you can install KernelEx  and then get Firefox up to version 10 ... see http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/wiki/Mozilla_Firefox

KernelEx is like an unofficial service pack that brings some DLLs from Windows 2000/XP to Windows 98 and makes some applications that try to refuse working on anything less than 2000 or XP work on 98 / Me etc.

sweet. best idea.

For some time my brother has used Pentium 4 with 2GB of ram on Windows 7, it was painfully slow, if I got that PC today, I'd throw it out. The testing argument is not very good unless you're going to run your software on other similarly bad PCs

Retro gaming pc

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

The only reason I might consider keeping that would be to run retro games. I have a pretty big collection of older PC games on Cd and dvds (mostly cd) that will not run on modern machines. maybe play 7th guest or kings quest (my personal fav is kings quest VI)on it? 

I have an older amd system for exactly that purpose, but honestly its pretty rare that it is powered on. 

3 minutes ago, G00fySmiley said:

The only reason I might consider keeping that would be to run retro games. I have a pretty big collection of older PC games on Cd and dvds (mostly cd) that will not run on modern machines. maybe play 7th guest or kings quest (my personal fav is kings quest VI)on it? 

I have an older amd system for exactly that purpose, but honestly its pretty rare that it is powered on. 

Playing games is a solution but...

8 hours ago, Boot Virtual said:

You are just kidding, for sure

Pentium G4560 ...

CPU: Amd Ryzen 3400g 

COOLER: Be Quite Dark Rock Pro 4

MOBO: Aorus x570 elite 

RAM: 2x8 Corsair Vengence 3200 MHz 

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB

GPU: Powercolour Red Devil RX570 4GB

PSU: Corsair RM750x 80+ Gold

CASE: Coolermaster H500p Mesh

9 hours ago, Zvoid said:

I'm running a Pentium right now so...

My HTPC runs a G4500 Pentium and it's just fine for cable TV and streaming on my Sony 32 inch flat screen using Intel graphics.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10