Why do people cool down mostly the CPU?

I have been wondering about this for a while...

I have seen tons of people water cooling their CPUs, be it an AIO or custom water loop while either not overclocking at all, or overclocking just mildly.

While not so many people out there actually water cool their GPUs, why is that?

I mean unless you go for hardcore CPU overclock (say 5.2 Ghz or so on Intel for example) or run old AMD FX chips, that got incredibly hot under even normal usage, you are unlikely to thermal throttle and actually seriously hurt your performance or the lifespan of the chip.

On the other side, GPUs automatically overclock themselves as far as the power limit and temps allows them, so to me it would make much more sense to water cool (either by hybrid card/third party AIO/custom loop) the GPU instead, to get extra performance.

As I said, I am not talking about people who get custom water cooling for the whole PC, that obviously makes sense if you do have the money and patience to clean the loop every once in a while,

So is this some still living trend from like early 2000's or something or am I missing something completely obvious there?

It's significantly harder to cool the graphics card with an aftermarket cooler. You need to get one that fits, then remove a ton more screws than you'd need to for a cpu cooler, and you also need little independent heat sinks for the memory modules and VRMs. On top of that, graphics card coolers are already quite beefy, designs like Strix and Nitro+ are really good at what they do.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1. Ryzen chips can boost higher with better thermal headroom, so you can actually get better performance without manually overclocking on them.

2. It's way, way easier to water cool a CPU; there are lots and lots of pre made solutions. Water cooling a GPU is much more finicky and almost certainly requires some kind of custom solution, assuming that a block is even available for your card.

3. Manual GPU overvolting for Nvidia GPUs (at least in a way that materially increases heat) is pretty much dead.

But let's not forget the most important factor:

0. It looks cool.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

27 minutes ago, Ergroilnin said:

On the other side, GPUs automatically overclock themselves as far as the power limit and temps allows them, so to me it would make much more sense to water cool (either by hybrid card/third party AIO/custom loop) the GPU instead, to get extra performance.

GPU in recent gens arent that hot, at such point that temps arent really a limiting factor.

6 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

GPU in recent gens aren't that hot, at such point that temps aren't really a limiting factor.

Try rendering on them, you will change your mind.

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

I cannot speak for others, and only speak for myself.

I am using an AIO on my CPU and have a hybrid 1080.

The reason i went for this was not so much overclocking, but the lifespan of the components.

This is following the logic, the cooler you keep your parts, the longer they will perform right.

At the same time, i do not have to clean a traditional air cooler only the radiators and its fans (if at all, due to dust filters). And they are much more accesible for me.

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

If it's true that founders edition cards are the highest binned then it seems to me smart gamers would buy them and slap on g12 brackets and aio coolers.

I am currently running a kraken frankenstein cooler on my 1080 Armor with an X52 pump, x61 rad, and an xspc 5.2" bay reservoir. CPU is air cooled with a CM Hyper 212 Evo.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

21 hours ago, Caennanu said:

I cannot speak for others, and only speak for myself.

I am using an AIO on my CPU and have a hybrid 1080.

The reason i went for this was not so much overclocking, but the lifespan of the components.

This is following the logic, the cooler you keep your parts, the longer they will perform right.

At the same time, i do not have to clean a traditional air cooler only the radiators and its fans (if at all, due to dust filters). And they are much more accesible for me.

To a certain point, of course.  If you're cooling at 60c vs 80c on a GPU, they won't noticeably degrade from each other.  Once you are "cool enough", you don't really gain life by cooling further.  Most electronics and mechanical systems have a thermal ceiling, and once under that you're good for the normal operating life of the thing.

@Ergroilnin - CPU's and GPU's cool differently for the main reason that the GPU already comes with a cooling solution built on.  The rare individual will take the time and energy and expense to remove that solution and replace it with another.  A CPU doesn't come with one attached out of the box, so you are required to install one, of your choice.

Same reason a people don't replace the radiator and cooling solutions in cars, they're already there and good enough.  But if you were building a car or even just the engine... you'd put thought into the cooling system a lot more.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Many of the GPUs available are what's called "Partner AIB" or "partner add-in boards", I.E.: MSI, Asus, XFX, etc graphics cards.

These are usually made with custom PCBs and non-reference cooling solutions, which means you need to source a waterblock specifically to fit your particular model of card. For example, a block that will fit an MSI RX580 may not fit an Asus RX580, and definitely will not fit an RTX2070. This is mainly due to mounting hole spacing and component layout.

Motherboard CPU cooler mounting is generally a standard, however, so a CPU cooler is generally interchangeable between a Gigabyte or Asrock motherboard, including parts to fit AMD's or Intel's various socket sizes. Therefore a company can produce one product that can reasonably expected to fit your CPU and motherboard combination regardless.

Accessibility and cost.

CPU water cooling is relatively easy.

While i dont include AIO's in that statement as they are a rather questionable choice for performance over air, a normal entry level custom loop for the CPU only is very easy to pull of.

When you move to the GPU things become a bit more problematic.

GPU waterblocks tend to be very specific on what they can be used on, as such future upgrades become more expensive as a new block is required for each new card.This isnt always the case with CPU's as the CPU blocks for most part are somewhat universal, with the exception of recent Threadripper blocks due to size.

In addition, due to needing a new block each time for the GPU, it becomes only reasonably financially worthwhile when using high end GPU's. While its relatively easy to justify a CPU block for a mid range CPU as u can re use the block going forward, a full cover block for a mid range GPU becomes less viable as the blocks cost the same regardless of the card in question. As such u can end up spending a significant % of the total cost of the card if its only mid range, cost which could go into upgrading to something far better.

This results in most people using a full custom loop running high end hardware, of which those people are a minority, and those running a CPU only loop generally speaking not finding it worth while due to cost for each GPU upgrade and thus being a larger group , though still a minority vs ur average air cooled system.

Now if u include AIO's into this discussion it becomes even more obvious why, AIO's are pritty much only designed for CPU's, and due to marketing many people outright believe they are better than air and so go with them. As for why they dont use AIO's on GPU's , well it requires further items to use one on a GPU, and they look rather ugly tbh, and lets face it , alot of people outright state they choose an AIO over a dual tower heatsink air cooler due to aesthetics, so they aint about to make a Frankenstein AIO cooled GPU.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 8/19/2019 at 12:44 AM, NineEyeRon said:

Cost, cpu cheap, GPU expensive

CPU easier than GPU as well. If you can place an air cooler on a CPU, you can install an AIO or water block. The GPU is... a bit more involved.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6