OS Changing ?

I'm going to replace my old Mobo,CPU,ram basically the important components of a computer except by HDD. Currently my system is having a retail 1903 build of win 10. So should I reinstall windows when everything is replaced ?

You shouldn't need to reinstall Windows, however your windows product key will most likely become deactivated due to the large hardware change. You may have to look into buying another product key, or speaking to Microsoft support about reactivating the product key on the new hardware.

Quote this or use @BaconLord222 if you want a reply

PC Specs

Main Desktop

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

CPU Cooler - Stock Wraith Spire thing lol

Mobo - MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Super Windforce OC 8GB

RAM - Team T-Force Dark 16gb (2x8gb) 3200MHz DDR4

Storage - Corsair Force Series Mp510 240gb

Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm HDD

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Case - Phanteks Eclipse P300

O/S - Windows 10 Home 64bit

Is it the OEM Windows version? If it is than you have to buy a new OS for a new mobo

If it is not the OEM Windows version then you will have to call Microsoft and tell them to deactivate the license on your old mobo.

I've got an OEM Version of Windows 10 that has gone through 3 hardware changes, and haven't had to reinstall, went from a laptop with i7 6500u, to desktop with i5 7500, to another desktop with Ryzen 7. Haven't had any problems with it at all.

Main System: Ryzen 7 5800x | Asus Strix B550A | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL14 | GTX 1080 | Fedora 36

Server: Ryzen 7 2700x | Asus Strix B450-F | 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz | GTX 1060 6GB | Unraid 6.10.3

Laptop: Intel i5 4200u | 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz | GT 740m | Windows 10

Mobile: iPhone 13 Mini | 128GB // Poco X3 NFC | 128GB

3 hours ago, SladeDJWilson said:

I'm going to replace my old Mobo,CPU,ram basically the important components of a computer except by HDD. Currently my system is having a retail 1903 build of win 10. So should I reinstall windows when everything is replaced ?

When changing your hardware other than non-essential devices such as your PCI-E NICs, SATA drives, PCI-E NVME drives or other PCI-E peripherals.  It is advisable to create a backup of your essential data and re-install the Operating System.  Under some not well understood circumstances you can change hardware without a problem; however, Microsoft has never commented on this and probably never will.  It's a very misunderstood workload of some of the more nitty gritty software used to boot the operating system.

In the best case you may boot properly and experience degraded performance without knowledge of it, you may have to re-install drivers in the second best case (it boots in the OS but something doesn't work), or your system will POST but will not boot into the operating system (this is the worst case).

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

42 minutes ago, BaconLord222 said:

You shouldn't need to reinstall Windows, however your windows product key will most likely become deactivated due to the large hardware change. You may have to look into buying another product key, or speaking to Microsoft support about reactivating the product key on the new hardware.

Alright thanks

30 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

I've got an OEM Version of Windows 10 that has gone through 3 hardware changes, and haven't had to reinstall, went from a laptop with i7 6500u, to desktop with i5 7500, to another desktop with Ryzen 7. Haven't had any problems with it at all.

Noted

20 minutes ago, phoenixflower said:

When changing your hardware other than non-essential devices such as your PCI-E NICs, SATA drives, PCI-E NVME drives or other PCI-E peripherals.  It is advisable to create a backup of your essential data and re-install the Operating System.  Under some not well understood circumstances you can change hardware without a problem; however, Microsoft has never commented on this and probably never will.  It's a very misunderstood workload of some of the more nitty gritty software used to boot the operating system.

In the best case you may boot properly and experience degraded performance without knowledge of it, you may have to re-install drivers in the second best case (it boots in the OS but something doesn't work), or your system will POST but will not boot into the operating system (this is the worst case).

Ok

42 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

It would be easiest to reinstall, if youre getting an SSD it would be optimal to reinstall windows onto the SSD.

Otherwise you can leave it on if you have the bootable media for windows 10, to use the stock drivers compatible with the new hardware, then you can go through the microsoft reactivation process to get windows activated again without a full reinstall.

Not having a SSD

if you dont "want" to reinstall, you can do a sysprep to get the OS ready for the new hardware. Make sure you do this JUST BEFORE you replace the hardware, it essentially locks down the drivers and allows windows to download/activate the correct ones for the new MB

MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO KEEP JUST IN CASE

Fair warning: 

• All system restore points are deleted.
  • All event logs and personalizations are removed.

Using an administrative (elevated) command prompt . . . 
Use this command:
%windir%\System32\Sysprep\sysprep.exe

Choose "Enter System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE)".

Check the "Generalize" box.

Choose "Shutdown".

change hardware and turn it back on. it will run through a brief start up process but provided everything goes well, all your stuff will still be there and installed

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

46 minutes ago, BaconLord222 said:

What are you talking about?

All you need to do is link it to a microsoft account and log in with that account on the new install, it will activate automatically.

Or if you still have the key you can just enter it manually again.

You never need to buy a new key.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

if you dont "want" to reinstall, you can do a sysprep to get the OS ready for the new hardware. Make sure you do this JUST BEFORE you replace the hardware, it essentially locks down the drivers and allows windows to download/activate the correct ones for the new MB

3 hours ago, SladeDJWilson said:

The above recommendation is a reasonable recommendation if you can deal with the possible technical debt associated with it.  Arika's basically recommending safe mode for Windows 10.  In this case it's safe mode + automatically informing Windows 10 to get new drivers.  Always remember to backup important data