Best keyboard for gaming laptop type of feel?

ToneStar

Maybe you can get a low profile rubber dome Logitech. However I wouldn't use anything for gaming that had a "laptop type of feel". From that list I'd get the Tesoro (specifically because it's the least laptop like of the bunch).

4 hours ago, geo3 said:

Maybe you can get a low profile rubber dome Logitech. However I wouldn't use anything for gaming that had a "laptop type of feel". From that list I'd get the Tesoro (specifically because it's the least laptop like of the bunch).

Why not?  I prefer the shorter travel of laptop keyboards.  It feels more responsive to me.  I don't think I "get" mechanical keyboards?  What's all the fuss about?

I really like the Amazon basics keyboard lol!  I'm trying to find a laptop style keyboard without the num pad for space reasons...

2 hours ago, ThatDude6 said:

Why not?  I prefer the shorter travel of laptop keyboards.  It feels more responsive to me.  I don't think I "get" mechanical keyboards?  What's all the fuss about?

I really like the Amazon basics keyboard lol!  I'm trying to find a laptop style keyboard without the num pad for space reasons...

key travel, sound and tactility leads to amoe satisfying experience. not for everybody .my personalfriend roup is split on this half of use use mechs , the other half uses chicklet

2 hours ago, ThatDude6 said:

On top of @rice guru's reasons, mechanical keyboards are usually much sturdier and longer-lasting than your typical keyboard.

Can we not turn this into a mechanical vs chicklet keyboard debate.  I have a mechanical and not really a fan so far, almost prefer the normal soft touch keyboards with the membrane.

Also I use the same computer for work and gaming and mechanical to me is tiresome to use for typing and programming all day.

8 hours ago, ToneStar said:

Also I use the same computer for work and gaming and mechanical to me is tiresome to use for typing and programming all day.

What kind of mechanical board you own? Just curious,for me it's the opposite.

When it comes to membrane boards I always recommend one of these https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-WS2-00025-Surface-Keyboard/dp/B01MQ0SB7Z    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Thinkpad-Compact-Keyboard-Trackpoint/dp/B00S9QMCRQ/ref=sr_1_2?qid=1566453678&refinements=p_4%3ALenovo&s=computers&sr=1-2 Lenovo offers full size and compact boards. Also there's Apple Magic keyboard,but I prefer Surface keyboard.

Edited by noxdeouroboros

On 8/22/2019 at 2:04 AM, noxdeouroboros said:

What kind of mechanical board you own? Just curious,for me it's the opposite.

When it comes to membrane boards I always recommend one of these https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-WS2-00025-Surface-Keyboard/dp/B01MQ0SB7Z    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Thinkpad-Compact-Keyboard-Trackpoint/dp/B00S9QMCRQ/ref=sr_1_2?qid=1566453678&refinements=p_4%3ALenovo&s=computers&sr=1-2 Lenovo offers full size and compact boards. Also there's Apple Magic keyboard,but I prefer Surface keyboard.

corsair k95 and redragon k550

16 minutes ago, ToneStar said:

corsair k95 and redragon k550

What kind of switches in k95? K550 has brown equivalent switches I assume?If it's the purple switch, it's tiring for me too, also the blue switches are a bit much for me. Is this the board https://www.amazon.com/K550-Redragon-Illuminated-Programmable-Passthrough/dp/B00YMDYMYQ  this board has a feature so to speak, you can change the switches, outemu switches for sure works, but gateron or other might work also, you could get a variety pack of outemu switches, try them out, and find the best, but from what you describing I think linear switches might be the best for you, or some light tactile ones. @geo3 If the keyboard uses outemu switches, what kind of other switches might be compatible with the board? I know it's hotswapable for sure, but does it has to be outemus?

I don't understand why this is turning into a mechanical keyboard thread.  I don't want loud, tall keys.  Selling my k95 and probably will try to sell the k550 if its worth selling once I find a nice laptop style keyboard with short keys and quality input. Think I am going to try the deathstalker

k95 red, k550 brown.

11 minutes ago, ToneStar said:

I don't understand why this is turning into a mechanical keyboard thread.  I don't want loud, tall keys.  Selling my k95 and probably will try to sell the k550 if its worth selling once I find a nice laptop style keyboard with short keys and quality input. Think I am going to try the deathstalker

k95 red, k550 brown.

Got it. There are mechanical boards with low profile silent keys as you put it, but okay, not gonna go into that. Just a tip, don't get razer, especially membrane, there are many better membrane keyboards than razer, they are very flimsy, and not that quiet compared to others,  deathstalker is very much overpriced for what you get. Those keyboards I linked are much better, but I assume you want RGB then.

1 hour ago, noxdeouroboros said:

@geo3 If the keyboard uses outemu switches, what kind of other switches might be compatible with the board?

Not all Outemus are the same. I would need to see the hotsawp socket. The 2 considerations are does if have 2 extra holes for pcb mount pegs. And the LED situation is it counter sunk or raised or not there. The first doesn't matter as much because you can easily clip of the PCB mount legs if they're a problem.