Pi-Hole Setup Tutorial

jakkuh_t

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have an Actiontec T3200m router from my ISP (Telus). It gives me the option to select two static DNS. I put both as the Pi.hole IP address but it doesn't seem to work (e.g. pihole not blocking ads).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Side note: I'm able to login to the pi.hole via direct ip/admin but not pi.hole/admin.

1 hour ago, BravePlanet said:

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have an Actiontec T3200m router from my ISP (Telus). It gives me the option to select two static DNS. I put both as the Pi.hole IP address but it doesn't seem to work (e.g. pihole not blocking ads).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Side note: I'm able to login to the pi.hole via direct ip/admin but not pi.hole/admin.

make sure you change the dns to the ip address only, 192.168.x.x and not 192.168.x.x/admin. 
Also, you might need to change the dns in many field, on my router, i can set the dns for lan, 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz independently. 

only use 1 field for your dns, you might need to flush your dns too, and to verify that your dns work type ipconfig /all in cmd and see if you are getting the right dns, if not, you have some bad setting somewhere 

8 minutes ago, Your-Cat said:

make sure you change the dns to the ip address only, 192.168.x.x and not 192.168.x.x/admin. 
Also, you might need to change the dns in many field, on my router, i can set the dns for lan, 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz independently. 

only use 1 field for your dns, you might need to flush your dns too, and to verify that your dns work type ipconfig /all in cmd and see if you are getting the right dns, if not, you have some bad setting somewhere 

Correct. I tried entering 192.168.1.73

Here  Screenshot of DNS in routers portal.  Could I be doing something wrong? I will try flushing. Thanks!

I did exactly what the post says. It worked fine on my nighthawk7000 with tomato firmware.

But, after installing it on a a new one on my father´s house, putty is unable to connect to the raspberry.

It is detected by the modem (broadband router + wifi from AT&T) , I can ping it just fine, but it is refusing SSH. It keeps giving me errors. 

I have disabled all the firewalls, norton, etc, but to no avail.

Any hints?

So I cannot do a headless install if I have the wireless model... That would be nice to know...

Anyone else have issue with it crashing once a day or so? I bought the same equipment used in tutorials. Works just fine, but i seem to loose connection to is once a day. Cannot ping it, or see it on network, so i can only assume it's crashing. 

17 hours ago, BravePlanet said:

Correct. I tried entering 192.168.1.73

Here  Screenshot of DNS in routers portal.  Could I be doing something wrong? I will try flushing. Thanks!

look like it work to me, don't try with Pi.hole/admin
do 

192.168.1.73/admin

3 hours ago, Dionyz said:

So I cannot do a headless install if I have the wireless model... That would be nice to know...

yes you can, same as enabling ssh -> https://desertbot.io/blog/headless-raspberry-pi-3-bplus-ssh-wifi-setup

this part for you, just type your own information -> 

country=US
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
    ssid="NETWORK-NAME"
    psk="NETWORK-PASSWORD"
}

On 8/17/2019 at 12:11 AM, jakkuh_t said:

2.5A Micro USB AC Power Supply

• You can get these really cheap on eBay, but we aren't making any promises about quality. AdaFruit has a solid one: https://lmg.gg/8KVm8

You can also use the usb port of your router (provided your router has one and you are not using it), since the raspberry pi does not use much power (I have a version 3 and it is only consuming about 0.2 amp when running pi-hole, with nothing plugged but the ethernet cable). This is especially useful if you have your router on a small ups where battery protected outlets are limited.

Help!

Downloading and Installing FTL
“Error: Unable to get latest release location from GitHub”

[✗] FTL Engine not installed

Ashampoo_Snap_2019.09.09_07h43m30s_001_.jpg

Help!

Downloading and Installing FTL
“Error: Unable to get latest release location from GitHub”

[✗] FTL Engine not installed

Resloved:  
cd /etc

sudo chmod 777 resolv.conf

vi resolv.conf

add line:

nameserver 8.8.8.8

ZZ 

the rerun curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash

new to this whole Pi concepts.

got a question, I dont want to end up with 30 Pi's running in my house.

if I already got things going with a temperature monitor Pi in my basement, can I install pi zero onto it as well? or do it needs dedicated hardware to run pi hole?

thanks in advance!

On 9/3/2019 at 6:54 AM, GameMaster2030 said:

Run this command: 

dig @127.0.0.1 -p 5053 google.com

What result am I looking for? I got:

; <<>> DiG 9.11.5-P4-5.1-Raspbian <<>> @127.0.0.1 -p 5053 google.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 41163
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1452
; PAD: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 (".....................................................................")
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;google.com.                    IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
google.com.             81      IN      A       172.217.165.14

;; Query time: 264 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#5053(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Tue Sep 10 04:18:57 BST 2019
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 138

I can tell it's running because my ad blocker is off on my browser and I see no ads. It doesn't work as well on my phone where i still get the odd ad break from time to time in games and still get ads in youtube. Does anyone know the URLs to blacklist for the youtbe app ads?

On 9/6/2019 at 5:39 PM, Snaggs said:

I'd love to be trying pi-hole out but I can't get it installed and running.

1st off, I've NEVER used Linux or Raspberry pi before so its all new to me. While I can follow the excellent guide you have produced here, there is nothing covering install problems.

So far I've set up the pi, flashed buster lite, and updated it. Run through the setup for pi-hole and it starts installing. I get as far as installing the ftl engine and it fails with “Error: Unable to get latest release location from GitHub”

Having a poke round google has given some suggestions but everyone thinks I know how to drive a raspberrypi ! 

I need an answer that is as easy to follow as the original guide is.

I tried doing sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf changing to nameserver 8.8.8.8 save and exit, then pihole -r but that just gives -bash: pihole: command not found.

If i try to install again (curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash) I get curl: (6) Could not resolve host: raw.githubusercontent.com
Only thing I can do is reflash the orignal image and start again, but then it fails at the same point. 

Can anyone help me get this installed and running?

Y'all if you get this error:

curl: (6) Could not resolve host: install.pi-hole.net

Fix it by doing this: (it worked for me)

sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf

echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" | sudo tee /etc/resolv.conf

curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | sudo bash

https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/cannot-resolve-after-partial-pi-hole-installation/21528

On 9/5/2019 at 2:33 PM, Sambal101 said:

So, it doesn't seem to work. Running "cloudflared -v" from the first step gives an output of "Segmentation fault" and running dig yields the following:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ dig @127.0.0.1 -p 5053 google.com

; <<>> DiG 9.11.5-P4-5.1-Raspbian <<>> @127.0.0.1 -p 5053 google.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

It also appears that the cloudflared service never finishes starting.
If you have any idea how to fix it, that would be great.

I have the same issue.  But googling "cloudflared segmentation fault" led me to this discussion:

https://github.com/cloudflare/cloudflared/issues/38

Not sure what I'll try next.....

4 minutes ago, cr0wb4r said:

I have the same issue.  But googling "cloudflared segmentation fault" led me to this discussion:

https://github.com/cloudflare/cloudflared/issues/38

Not sure what I'll try next.....

I replaced wget command with:  

wget https://hobin.ca/cloudflared/releases/2019.8.1/cloudflared_2019.8.1_arm.tar.gz

Then followed with updated:

tar -xvzf cloudflared_2019.8.1_arm.tar.gz

Segmentation fault goes away.

This needs to be updated for AOS users who are on Pie or later.  Pie defaults to IPv6 for DNS and I am unable to find a way to move it back to IPv4 so you will need to configure your router to Point the IPv6 DNS server to the Pi Hole if you want an Android phone to work. Also if you set the Pi Hole to use Cloudflare as its DNS server you can then go to 1.1.1.1/help to quickly see if things are working correctly once you are done.  

1 minute ago, Gultar said:

This needs to be updated for AOS users who are on Pie or later.  Pie defaults to IPv6 for DNS and I am unable to find a way to move it back to IPv4 so you will need to configure your router to Point the IPv6 DNS server to the Pi Hole if you want an Android phone to work.

AOS? I set my PiHole up just a few days ago, works fine on IPv4. I pretty much followed the guide to the letter. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I'm a bit confused as well.  I guess I'm not really sure how you hook up the Raspberry Pi device.  Do you hook it up to your router using the ethernet adapter? Wouldn't this need to go between your internet input and router? I guess I would've liked a little bit of explanation on how to actually install the device after it's all set up.

5 minutes ago, Voicetek said:

I'm a bit confused as well.  I guess I'm not really sure how you hook up the Raspberry Pi device.  Do you hook it up to your router using the ethernet adapter? Wouldn't this need to go between your internet input and router? I guess I would've liked a little bit of explanation on how to actually install the device after it's all set up.

Are you using a pi zero? I don't believe any of them have an ethernet port. You would simply connect to your router wireslessly (assuming you have a pi zero W) If you're using a pi3 with an ethernet port, simply connect it to your router. 

1 minute ago, steelo said:

Are you using a pi zero? I don't believe it has an ethernet port. You would simply connect to your router wireslessly (assuming you have a pi zero W)

I do not have the Pi Zero W.  I've just got the Pi Zero, the one linked in this tutorial for $5.  I do have the Micro USB to RJ45 Ethernet Adapter that they show in the tutorial for those who do not have the WiFi version.  So with that being said, would I just connect the Pi device to an empty ethernet port in the back of my router?

Just now, Voicetek said:

I do not have the Pi Zero W.  I've just got the Pi Zero, the one linked in this tutorial for $5.  I do have the Micro USB to RJ45 Ethernet Adapter that they show in the tutorial for those who do not have the WiFi version.  So with that being said, would I just connect the Pi device to an empty ethernet port in the back of my router?

Yes.

Just now, steelo said:

Yes.

Great, that's what I figured but wanted to make sure I was doing it right. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Voicetek said:

Great, that's what I figured but wanted to make sure I was doing it right. Thanks!

btw, I don't believe data is being routed through the pi (what a slowdown that would be) rather, connected devices are using the rpi for DNS.

Here's the guide I used: https://blog.cryptoaustralia.org.au/instructions-for-setting-up-pi-hole/

Could someone please give me some advice on an issue I'm having with this? I followed the tutorial and successfully set up my raspberry pi with the pi-hole software. I have been dealing with issues at the point of having it run on my router. I set the DHCP to active in the pi-hole admin, disabled it via my router site, then saw it actively hand out an IP to my phone on the pi-hole site. I'm even seeing queries being logged. However, I can't access any sites on my phone, and am seeing a 'internet may not be available' error on my phone's wifi connection.

Here is my debugging token: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/pc67gpquy5

For youtube ads, you have to run this. :) It will find all the ads, then add them to the blocklist.

https://github.com/kboghdady/youTube_ads_4_pi-hole

For the crontab, I recommend setting it to every minute, rather than 4 hours.

You might need to add chmod +x youtube.sh in the folder. Otherwise it will not work on raspbian

Or follow the steps here:

1. Git clone the project by copying and pasting git clone https://github.com/kboghdady/youTube_ads_4_pi-hole.git into the Pi terminal

2. Go to the folder cd youTube_ads_4_pi-hole

3. Apply chmod by copying and pasting the following command chmod +x youtube.sh into the Pi terminal

4. Copy and paste this command and hit enter: sudo crontab -e 
5. It will open a file using nano text editor, I think. Scroll down until the end of the file by using DOWN ARROW key.

6. Either paste this cron tab which runs every 4 hours: 0 */4 * * * sudo /home/pi/youTube_ads_4_pi-hole/youtube.sh >/dev/null or this one 0 * * * * sudo /home/pi/youTube_ads_4_pi-hole/youtube.sh >/dev/null which will run every minute.

7. Press CTRL + O, hit ENTER then finally hit CTRL + X.