5700 XT Partner Cards - UK Price Gouging Again

Anomnomnomaly

So the first reviews hit YT today for the RX5700XT partner boards... and I decided to take a look at pre-order pricing for them in the UK.

Once again I wasn't surprised to see that we're getting screwed yet again.

Take the powercolor red devil... rrp $449, UK price £459-£479... Taking into account the exchange rate and adding the 20% VAT on top of that... it should be in the region of £415... Yet we're expected to pay an extra £45-65.

When it comes to the ASUS ROG... that's £499.

The cheapest partner board available is the Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT @ £425.

Now given that based on the base price of the AMD cards, factoring in the exchange rate and VAT... The Base price of these cards should be in the region of £369 and you can find some of the stock ones with the blower cooler for £379.

So it seems that the minimum extra UK buyers are being forced to pay is an extra £45-55... or roughly 20% more than those buying in the US... and that's AFTER factoring in the extra 20% in VAT... I know you guys probably have to add on your own version of state & sales taxes... and I know that it varies drastically from state to state and for online sales. A friend told me they only have to pay 8% when buying online and others say they don''t pay anything. The highest I've heard anyone say is 13% (8% + 5%).

Guess I'll be waiting a while longer until sensible prices come along... I refuse to buy stuff that's being price gouged.

It would almost be cheaper to buy a stock card + a water cooled block if you've already got a water cooled rig.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

You'll be waiting a long time. Vega 64s only had their prices reduced a few weeks ago when the stock 5700s released and there's no reason to reduce the price of 5700s until they get replaced by something newer.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Ah..see...this is a different situation than it was a few months ago. I don't know if you've noticed, but there's a word beginning with B (you know the one, I'm sick to the back teeth as well like everybody else) that has been causing mayhem in the past few months.

Yes, you're right, prices tend to be slightly lower than the US number. And you were right until about a month or two ago, when a certain Mr Johnson arrived at a black door and opened it.

Sadly Mr Johnson's no-deal threats to the EU (Which now appear to be real) have caused the value of the pound to drop slightly. Therefore, prices are now higher. And it's not changing anytime soon. In fact, the pound could go down even further as the deadline approaches.

The prices will normalize eventually, but the timing of when that happens depends on what happens in October. If we leave with no-deal the prices will continue to rise by another £10-20 probably, and then after a month or two the prices will start to drop again. I wouldn't expect them to go back to normal until late 2020 if I'm honest. So get used to it is what I'm getting at here.

Basically the point is...BUY NOW, don't delay.

3 hours ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

So the first reviews hit YT today for the RX5700XT partner boards... and I decided to take a look at pre-order pricing for them in the UK.

Once again I wasn't surprised to see that we're getting screwed yet again.

Take the powercolor red devil... rrp $449, UK price £459-£479... Taking into account the exchange rate and adding the 20% VAT on top of that... it should be in the region of £415... Yet we're expected to pay an extra £45-65.

When it comes to the ASUS ROG... that's £499.

The cheapest partner board available is the Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT @ £425.

Now given that based on the base price of the AMD cards, factoring in the exchange rate and VAT... The Base price of these cards should be in the region of £369 and you can find some of the stock ones with the blower cooler for £379.

So it seems that the minimum extra UK buyers are being forced to pay is an extra £45-55... or roughly 20% more than those buying in the US... and that's AFTER factoring in the extra 20% in VAT... I know you guys probably have to add on your own version of state & sales taxes... and I know that it varies drastically from state to state and for online sales. A friend told me they only have to pay 8% when buying online and others say they don''t pay anything. The highest I've heard anyone say is 13% (8% + 5%).

Guess I'll be waiting a while longer until sensible prices come along... I refuse to buy stuff that's being price gouged.

It would almost be cheaper to buy a stock card + a water cooled block if you've already got a water cooled rig.

this is everywhere ;) euro countries also get fucked over. 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

I think it's always like that, the shops know that there's a limited amount of cards avaiable so why not making extra, even Powercolor Rep on Reddit said their prices are the same for everyone, no matter the country, then the etailer decides to follow the MSRP or not.

To me, I been waiting to see the Red Devil reviews and oh boy they didn't disappoint. Now it's just time to wait for them to have more stock to buy one.

I guess it's too much to hope that Amazon make another mistake in their pricing... like they did with my RX580.

I ordered it back when it came out and there was a deal on... I think it was up around the £230-240 mark (normally it was around the £340 mark) as this was still back when mining was causing  card shortages.

So I put in my order for it... and new it was gonna be at least a month or two before I got it... But for that discount, I could wait.

Then a few weeks later... the price suddenly fell to £105 and some change... before going unavailable.

Now Amazon have a price guarantee... if the price goes up, what you ordered at is still the price you pay... but if it goes down... you pay the lower price.

Now loads of people were asking when it was going to be in stock and loads more cancelled because they never expected to get them... I waited along with a few others.

Welp... it took just over 3 months... But I got my card and I got it for £105... well over £200 below RRP back in 2017.

The 580 is still giving me decent frames in most games @ 1440p but I obviously have to drop quality settings... I don't need 100+fps as my monitors are only 75hz and I can't afford to replace them as I run a triple setup and can't replace 2x 27" and a 22" in portrait mode unless I get rid of a 27" for an ultrawide 32" or something like that.

I'll wait a while longer and keep an eye on prices... perhaps they'll drop a little as stock becomes available andonce stock comes online with Amazon it might be more competitive... I buy most of my stuff from them now as they're on average 5-10% better than any of the tech etailers I used to use.

I'll probably lean towards the Sapphie Pulse though, my RX580 is the same branding.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

Scan are selling the limited edition Red devil 5700 xt for 459 while overclockers are being greedy little @#£&s at £500.

Shame, as much as I want a red devil xt, there's only so much I'm willing to pay. Amazon are selling a 2070 super for £489.

10 hours ago, Genkisud0 said:

Scan are selling the limited edition Red devil 5700 xt for 459 while overclockers are being greedy little @#£&s at £500.

Shame, as much as I want a red devil xt, there's only so much I'm willing to pay. Amazon are selling a 2070 super for £489.

overclockers.co.uk haven't been competitive in their pricing for over a decade. I used to buy stuff from them back in the early 2000's... but it's been at least 13yrs since I did... Same with scan... although that's been more like 7yrs, since I bought anything through them.

ebuyer are on my boycott list because they're incapable of getting things right (50% of orders were frelled up in some way) and their customer service is just rude, arrogant and obnoxious... They deleted my account because they messed up yet again and I complained.

I also used to use aria, but they're not much better and I have an intense distrust of them after they were caught being involved in a VAT fraud carosel case a few years back, not to mention the immediate price gouging they applied to existing stock after flooding affect HDD plants back in 2011. Within hrs of that being reported, they jacked the price of their existing stock about 50% to take advantage of the expected price increases on future stock.

I refuse to reward shady business practices with my money.

10 minutes ago, CrazieChipmunk said:

From the reviews that I've seen so far... the 5700XT is priced the same as the 2060 super, but 10% faster (on average, it varies from game to game)... So that's priced around what we 'should' be paying for the 5700XT.

But so far, prices are at least 45-50 more for the 'cheapest' and over 100 for some.

I'm gonna wait a while longer... see if prices stabilise or if any 'promotions' come along... If I'm gonna have to pay £425 or more then I'd expect a 2070 Super but the cheapest one of those ijn the UK I can find is £490.

Hopefully competition will see prices fall into line with performance.