Logitech Announces New Keyboard Featuring Kailh Low-Profile Choc Switches

2 minutes ago, seoz said:

It's the mark-up these keyboards get from including the word 'gaming' in them. These companies know people will buy their 'gaming' products so they can justify ramping up the price that much.

In fairness to Logitech's case, their software is amazing and the customer support is also nice, so for the price of the keyboard, you get good customer service and well-supported software.

I definitely agree their software and customer support is very good. Their software has never given me any issues with the keyboard I own (1st gen K70 and G413), which is rare for peripheral software in my experience. Almost all other peripheral software outside of Corsair has been buggy or just doesn't work... So kudos to that.

I remember when the highest price for a mechanical keyboard was like $120 5 years or so ago, and that seemed crazy. Now it's upwards of $230!!!! Sheeeeesh. lol

Just now, PHYLO said:

I remember when the highest price for a mechanical keyboard was like $120 5 years or so ago, and that seemed crazy. Now it's upwards of $230!!!! Sheeeeesh. lol

Think we can all blame brands like Razer for that, their markup is immense, and unfortunately other brands had to follow suit otherwise consumers would think the cheaper product is inferior in quality. There's a term for that pricing strategy but I've not studied business and administration in so long that I can't remember it.

Recently had my own experience with immensely overpriced keyboards with my brother having picked up his own Corsair K95 RGB Platinum for £180, and even had me pay for half of it as he's in high school and is obviously short of cash. It is a nice keyboard with plenty of features and nice software, but I could never personally pony up that amount of money for a pre-built 'gaming' keyboard.

But eh, that's just capatilism and if companies can profit off of these peripherals, I say power to them. Will have to see how many people actually end up buying the Logitech G915 Lightspeed for what it's worth, those Kailh Choc switches sound nice for the price.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

2 minutes ago, seoz said:

Think we can all blame brands like Razer for that, their markup is immense, and unfortunately other brands had to follow suit otherwise consumers would think the cheaper product is inferior in quality. There's a term for that pricing strategy but I've not studied business and administration in so long that I can't remember it.

Recently had my own experience with immensely overpriced keyboards with my brother having picked up his own Corsair K95 RGB Platinum for £180, and even had me pay for half of it as he's in high school and is obviously short of cash. It is a nice keyboard with plenty of features and nice software, but I could never personally pony up that amount of money for a pre-built 'gaming' keyboard.

But eh, that's just capatilism and if companies can profit off of these peripherals, I say power to them. Will have to see how many people actually end up buying the Logitech G915 Lightspeed for what it's worth, those Kailh Choc switches sound nice for the price.

Agreed, 100%.

Btw, have you had experience with Kailh switches? How do they compare to Cherry MX? I've only had extensive use with Cherry MX Brown and Logitech Romer G switches, but have felt other Cherry switches in Microcenter.

I am not sure about low profile keys, but I do like that design. Especially the full media keys and the volume wheel. I could see myself buying it if my G710+ ever fails. Unfortunately for Logitech they built it like a tank so I'll never upgrade. ?

6 minutes ago, PHYLO said:

Btw, have you had experience with Kailh switches? How do they compare to Cherry MX? I've only had extensive use with Cherry MX Brown and Logitech Romer G switches, but have felt other Cherry switches in Microcenter.

I have had experience with Kailh Box Jades, and NovelKeys Creams which are manufactured by Kaillh.

I don't remember off the top of my head if Hako Trues & Clears are manufactured by Kailh but those resemble the Box Jades a lot minus some weight and noise.

I have little experience with Cherry switches myself, with my only experience being my brother's K95 with Cherry Speeds.

The MX Speeds felt lacking in smoothness, quite scratchy, and felt inconsistent across each switch, but it's not a bad switch by any means.

Kailh switches are extremely consistent and actuate smoothly, they're very well-built switches. I would expect the same quality in the Kailh Choc switches found inside the Logitech G915.

On 8/15/2019 at 10:45 AM, Commodus said:

Don't know why people balk at low-profile keyboards.  If you have to type for a living or just tend to do more than write brief forum posts, you want something that's as ergonomic as you can get.

Then again, I'm not keen on mechanicals for productivity as a whole... you're better off with something that's as quiet as can be.  The thought of my keyboard clacking like mad while at work would be... too much.

Ya man, totally agree with you.

i had to sacrifice quietness for the mechanical keyboards because my fingers were starting to hurt from typing so much. Just can’t have them all

1 hour ago, -Kriss- said:

I know its subjective but that brused aluminium looks like shit tbh.

The brushed aluminium is a different look for Logitech for sure and I guess that's why it might look a little off this time. Other keyboards of theirs like the G Pro use the standard matte black which looks miles nicer.

Now that you've mentioned brushed aluminium, the more I can't unsee the G915 Lightspeed resembling the Roccat Vulcan.

4 hours ago, PHYLO said:

You clearly haven't seen the prices of actually high end mechs :3

:)

12 minutes ago, seon123 said:

You clearly haven't seen the prices of actually high end mechs :3

Pre-built mechanical prices, not custom built. I know custom built can be triple the price, but it is a very niche hobby. lol

5 hours ago, PHYLO said:

I definitely agree their software and customer support is very good. Their software has never given me any issues with the keyboard I own (1st gen K70 and G413), which is rare for peripheral software in my experience. Almost all other peripheral software outside of Corsair has been buggy or just doesn't work... So kudos to that.

I had a good experience with the Logitech customer support with mice, I want a Logtech keyboard because of their software and support, never tried the Romer G switches besides a demo keyboard in BestBuy though the even the tactile switches felt pretty light compared to Cherry MX blues or browns.

I agree, mechanical keyboards are getting overpriced and it seems like the trend started with RGB, if you don't care about RGB lights there are lots of them under $100.

6 minutes ago, PHYLO said:

Pre-built mechanical prices, not custom built. I know custom built can be triple the price, but it is a very niche hobby. lol

With kind of niche prebuilts you still have things like the Model F, HHKB, and various ergonomic boards. With customs, you can go several times higher than $600

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

With kind of niche prebuilts you still have things like the Model F, HHKB, and various ergonomic boards. With customs, you can go several times higher than $600

Woah... Those HHKB are sleeeeek and nice. Why in the heck do they have the cable going out towards the mouse side though? 

if i want a low profile keyboard, i'll stick with my Surface Keyboard. "low-profile" when referring to this thing is a bit of a stretch

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

9 hours ago, seoz said:

In fairness to Logitech's case, their software is amazing and the customer support is also nice, so for the price of the keyboard, you get good customer service and well-supported software.

If you are talking about Logitech Gaming Software then it is a good software. But if you are talking about Logitech G Hub then it is a shit software ever. I go back to Logitech Gaming Software after try out G Hub.

I read Choc as Croc and now my brain is cursed with a keyboard switch using only crocs

✨FNIGE✨

On 8/15/2019 at 9:02 AM, spartaman64 said:

why do we want thin desktop keyboards again? eventually we will get keyboards with negative key travel. the keys are completely flat and when you press on it it goes up

They are probably beta testing this concept in the enthusiast market given that is a very small one, probably aimed for competing with Apple's Magic Keyboard in the future, or some kind of replacement to the Logitech Craft, these markets are way bigger and love portable, backpack-friendly keyboards.

edit: my english is kinda crap and I need to correct typos every time

Edited by Andresteare

On 8/16/2019 at 7:28 AM, LePawel said:

it's not USB-C.

Why does everyone want USB-C on keyboards? It doesn't clip in like micro USB. It's easier for it to get yanked out than micro USB.

Type-C is great on most things, but not stuff that should have a solid connection.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

15 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Why does everyone want USB-C on keyboards? It doesn't clip in like micro USB. It's easier for it to get yanked out than micro USB.

Type-C is great on most things, but not stuff that should have a solid connection.

USB-C is the standard now so naturally consumers expect it to be the norm. It's also just more convenient not having to know which way to plug it in.

I do agree that Micro-USB is the correct decision to go for this keyboard as it's a gaming keyboard and the last thing you expect is for your keyboard to be disconnected.

Also I don't know anyone who disconnects their keyboard enough to need USB-C.

On 8/21/2019 at 9:34 AM, kelvinhall05 said:

I can't speak for all USB-C devices but I know that my phone charger locks in pretty tight with a very distinct click when it's fully inserted. I'm pretty sure that it just uses the beginning bit of plastic after the metal connector to friction fit into the chassis vs the tiny metal teeth that Micro-B uses. Can't speak for sure about the long term durability of the C connection but considering the relative lack of unplugging. A keyboard versus other devices, I'd assume that it would be able to last quite a while (assuming that it was well made in the first place, of course).

Edit: Just double checked and it definitely isn't the plastic that clicks into place, so I have no idea if there's some internal mechanism to keep it on or if the connector itself just has very tight tolerances. Regardless, it seems like well built C ports/cables can do just as good of a job as Micro-B. 

4 hours ago, Waffles13 said:

I can't speak for all USB-C devices but I know that my phone charger locks in pretty tight with a very distinct click when it's fully inserted. I'm pretty sure that it just uses the beginning bit of plastic after the metal connector to friction fit into the chassis vs the tiny metal teeth that Micro-B uses. Can't speak for sure about the long term durability of the C connection but considering the relative lack of unplugging. A keyboard versus other devices, I'd assume that it would be able to last quite a while (assuming that it was well made in the first place, of course).

Edit: Just double checked and it definitely isn't the plastic that clicks into place, so I have no idea if there's some internal mechanism to keep it on or if the connector itself just has very tight tolerances. Regardless, it seems like well built C ports/cables can do just as good of a job as Micro-B. 

didnt linus make a video for USB-C vs Micro-USB in terms of durability or am i dreaming

✨FNIGE✨

41 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

didnt linus make a video for USB-C vs Micro-USB in terms of durability or am i dreaming

Yes, although it was Micro-B versus USB-C as opposed to Micro-USB.

29 minutes ago, sowon said:

Yes, although it was Micro-B versus USB-C as opposed to Micro-USB.

was there a lot of differences between them

✨FNIGE✨

still don't like these keyboards, i find it less straining to game on an apple bluetooth keyboard.

short travel distance, compacted keyboard and good response time.

this still looks like a huge travel distance to me and i am pretty sure they'd be movement in those keys.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo