Spilled coffee on laptop, the ssd acts strange

Denyl

Hey guys,

As I said in the title, I spilled some coffee on my laptop, it lost power and now the ssd is not working. The fact is that the ssd was not touched at all by the coffee. I put it in my pc and it is showed in disk manager but I can,t initialize it. Other software didn t work too, everywhere it is getting stuck. I tried the power cycle method, I connected just the power, but it did not work.

28 minutes ago, Denyl said:

As I said in the title, I spilled some coffee on my laptop, it lost power and now the ssd is not working. The fact is that the ssd was not touched at all by the coffee. I put it in my pc and it is showed in disk manager but I can,t initialize it. Other software didn t work too, everywhere it is getting stuck. I tried the power cycle method, I connected just the power, but it did not work.

Did you let the laptop dry before turning it on? Or did you just go "oh, I spilled electrically conductive liquid in my laptop, but I'll just proceed to turn it on while there's still that liquid inside it!"?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

22 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Did you let the laptop dry before turning it on? Or did you just go "oh, I spilled electrically conductive liquid in my laptop, but I'll just proceed to turn it on while there's still that liquid inside it!"?

I turned it on after some time, one hour maybe.. the rest of the laptop is ok...

1 minute ago, Denyl said:

I turned it on after some time, one hour maybe.. the rest of the laptop is ok...

It can take a week to fully dry. An hour...well, if you pour coffee on your table, has it dried out in an hour? No, no it hasn't. There's a good chance you just damaged your laptop further. What you need to do next is to wait at least a couple of days before trying it again.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

54 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

It can take a week to fully dry. An hour...well, if you pour coffee on your table, has it dried out in an hour? No, no it hasn't. There's a good chance you just damaged your laptop further. What you need to do next is to wait at least a couple of days before trying it again.

My laptop is completely fine, I tested it with an hdd and it is working perfectly. The ssd is not working and it was not touched by the liquid

Some other components on the motherboard could have been damaged or possibly caused damage to the SSD via a short. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD