Got a spare 1080ti

Geekie

So, I was lucky enough to strike a really good deal for a 2080ti phoenix (got it for USD 200).

I have an 1080ti from before and don't really need the money from selling it. What would you guys so with it?

Tempted to build an alright computer with it so my girlfriend can play, but I'm not sure what parts to get. I would not need a balls to the walls computee, just something that runs games and doesnt bottleneck the 1080ti too much.

Budget: cheap as possible, looks doesnt matter but will go for a closed case probably.

Any cool ideas? Throw them at me, can do something fun with it too..

Edit: If possible, a VR computer would be an idea also. Have an x62 kraken cpu cooler laying around that is not in use.

4 minutes ago, Geekie said:

I have an 1080ti from before and don't really need the money from selling it. What would you guys so with it?

I would give it me ?

whats ur budget u gotta have something in mind.

Just throw what you already have in the new PC, then buy the rest of the stuff necessary to make it work. Every time you trade, you lose some money. Might as well do less trade.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

4 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

I would give it me ?

whats ur budget u gotta have something in mind.

Hmm, just main thing im looking for is what cpu to get that is minimum for the 1080ti to stretch its legs a bit. Budget for build? Usd 1000 maybe?

2 minutes ago, Geekie said:

Hmm, just main thing im looking for is what cpu to get that is minimum for the 1080ti to stretch its legs a bit. Budget for build? Usd 1000 maybe?

Just go with best u can afford then, 9700k? Even 9600k. Others will recommend ryzen now.

21 minutes ago, Geekie said:

33 minutes ago, Geekie said:

Tempted to build an alright computer

It's gonna be a lot more than alright with a $1000 budget and a 1080 ti on top.

This is a more economical build if you don't want to get too spendy

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

If you're doing b450 you might as well consider the 2700x and 2600. Over here in euro land at least both are now a bit or a LOT cheaper then the 3600. Alternatively, you might consider spending a bit more and upgrade parts for your main rig and put the used parts in your secondary much like you did the 1080ti.

For a budget SSD I'd also consider something cheaper then a samsung. Kingstons A2000's have  my vote for cheap but very fast SSD's. At the price of that one evo you could buy 2 500 GB A2000's heck. at the price of that evo plus the caviar blue you can get a 500 and 1TB kingston m.2 drive and have full SSD storage at the same capacity. 

41 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

It's gonna be a lot more than alright with a $1000 budget and a 1080 ti on top.

This is a more economical build if you don't want to get too spendy

Don’t like that build. Swap thst hdd for s barracuda or something, swap the case thst has bad airflow just go meshify c or something, add a hundred or two watts to psu and spend rest of money on better cpu. Swap the m.2 for a Corsair one or even intel p660

usd hurts my head.

Just now, The Torrent said:

Swap thst hdd for s barracuda or something

that would be a downgrade

swap the case thst has bad airflow just go meshify c or something

meshify C is good, but the H500 has decent enough airflow and is pretty. Case preference is up to OP I guess.

add a hundred or two watts to psu

literally no reason to do that, at all. The whole rig will draw 400 watts.

1 minute ago, The Torrent said:

spend rest of money on better cpu

like I said, it's more economical. toss a 3700X in and you're still under $1000.

Swap the m.2 for a Corsair one or even intel p660

no reason to, NVMe is useless for gaming and Corsair SATA SSDs are pricey too.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

that would be a downgrade

meshify C is good, but the H500 has decent enough airflow and is pretty. Case preference is up to OP I guess.

literally no reason to do that, at all. The whole rig will draw 400 watts.

like I said, it's more economical. toss a 3700X in and you're still under $1000.

no reason to, NVMe is useless for gaming and Corsair SATA SSDs are pricey too.

He’s got £300 breathing room so might aswell upgrade some parts.

thinking just add a few hundred watts cuz rmx gonna last ages so next build might aswell make it last for maybe a tenner more.

3700x deffo

h500 has decent airflow? I’ve been told it’s horrific.

barracuda would be downgrade? Isn’t caviar blue a PATA drive?

2 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

Isn’t caviar blue a PATA drive?

PATA is ancient, totally obsolete. It's a SATA drive.

2 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

h500 has decent airflow? I’ve been told it’s horrific.

It doesn't stand out but it is sufficient. It does look pretty terrible airflow wise but it surprises.

thinking just add a few hundred watts cuz rmx gonna last ages so next build might aswell make it last for maybe a tenner more.

more watts =/= more life

Edited by fasauceome

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

PATA is ancient, totally obsolete. It's a SATA drive.

It doesn't stand out but it is sufficient. It does look pretty terrible airflow wise but it surprises.

more watts =/= more life

As in next build if they need more power they will have it rather than power supply go to waste after 1 build.

e.g next time might want to do s bigger build so just spent the extra tenner or so I say so and be safe.

i swear caviar blue is PATA... I will check in morning but I had bad experiences.

As in next build if they need more power they will have it rather than power supply go to waste after 1 build.

a 550 watt PSU can handle seriously high end hardware, it's doubtful the prospective upgrades for this PC will exceed even 500 watts. Even my own PC, an overclocked i7 and titan, pulls 400 watts.

i swear caviar blue is PATA... I will check in morning but I had bad experiences.

if it was it wouldn't be compatible with the parts list I made.

Primary PC:

I am still just a bit mystified why there is a 140 dollar 512gb sata SSD in that build when you can get 1TB of NVMe for under a 100 now though, like that 760 evo should not cost 140 bucks at all. I can pick it up for considerably cheaper. Even if you call it useless for gaming, it still beats SATA 2.5 inch drives in convenience and speed. And that seems an AWFULL lot of money for a SATA SSD.

8 hours ago, fasauceome said:

a 550 watt PSU can handle seriously high end hardware, it's doubtful the prospective upgrades for this PC will exceed even 500 watts. Even my own PC, an overclocked i7 and titan, pulls 400 watts.

if it was it wouldn't be compatible with the parts list I made.

I just checked. Caviar is the old drives by wd. Can confirm it’s PATA, however on pc part picker it appears it just glitched or something as the links take you to normal blue.

7 hours ago, St.Nick said:

I am still just a bit mystified why there is a 140 dollar 512gb sata SSD in that build when you can get 1TB of NVMe for under a 100 now though, like that 760 evo should not cost 140 bucks at all. I can pick it up for considerably cheaper. Even if you call it useless for gaming, it still beats SATA 2.5 inch drives in convenience and speed. And that seems an AWFULL lot of money for a SATA SSD.

SSD Endurance is prob why.

14 hours ago, Genwyn said:

Buy a socket 478 system with a pcie slot and make nerds mad with the speccy screenshot of a Pentium 4 and 512mb of ram with a 1080ti

Actually, I have a really shitty desktop laying around ? I will do this

For comparison, this is my currenr build:

• GPU GTX Strix 1080 TI

• CPU Intel Core i7 8700k @5GHz

• Motherboard ASUS Z370-F Gaming

• CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x62

• RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB

• Storage
    500 GB 960 EVO
    500 GB 850 EVO
    1000 GB HDD

• PSU Seasonic Focus+ 750W 85+ GOLD

6 hours ago, The Torrent said:

I just checked. Caviar is the old drives by wd. Can confirm it’s PATA, however on pc part picker it appears it just glitched or something as the links take you to normal blue.

dude you have to be joking

image.png.e39fc228834428de50d35ed09ba55cd3.png

Primary PC:

dude you have to be joking

image.png.e39fc228834428de50d35ed09ba55cd3.png

That’s normal blue not caviar. As I said. The pc part picker link is dodgy.

That’s normal blue not caviar. As I said. The pc part picker link is dodgy.

When I click the link this is the pic I get, so that's that I guess

Primary PC:

When I click the link this is the pic I get, so that's that I guess

F1FB4819-DA70-4D59-9BDC-E423235410B4.jpeg