Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SnackHydra

Power setting for overclocked i7 6700k @ 4.7gHz?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello everyone, I recently just overclocked my first cpu, the i7 6700k from 4.0-4.2 to 4.7 gHz. During this entire process, I had my motherboard (asus z170-a) power my cpu with manual mode with a constant voltage of 1.325 (probably a bad voltage, but I just copied Linus' skylake OC guide verbatim). In the video, he recommends that after the OC, you should switch the power mode from manual to adaptive mode. I tried this and when I checked the voltage with CPU-Z, the voltage was extremely high, jumping from 1.4-1.5, and sometimes even 1.6. Is there a way to set this up perfectly? I heard that leaving your cpu on manual mode will shorten its lifespan much faster than adaptive mode. I do not know how to use the offset or turbo voltage options. Please help. Thanks.

Manual OC can degrade lifespan if too high voltage. But at a ‘normal’ voltage you shouldn’t see much difference in degradation at all (not noticable)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x 1.35V @ 4.1GhZ  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2*8) 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2Nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

6 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

The goal here should be the highest speed at the lowest power.

Can you pass stability testing at lower than 1.325?

Yes I can.

9 minutes ago, SnackHydra said:

Yes I can.

Then what I do when I OC, is get the speed I want, then back the voltage down until it fails the stability test.

Go in .025 increments, so test at 1.3, 1.275, 1.25,  etc till it wont pass then go back to the last voltage it passed at.

You CPU will cooler at 1.25v than 1.325v.

23 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Then what I do when I OC, is get the speed I want, then back the voltage down until it fails the stability test.

Go in .025 increments, so test at 1.3, 1.275, 1.25,  etc till it wont pass then go back to the last voltage it passed at.

You CPU will cooler at 1.25v than 1.325v.

I set my cpu voltage to 1.3 but it just jumps from 1.28 to 1.34

What's with this?

19 minutes ago, SnackHydra said:

I set my cpu voltage to 1.3 but it just jumps from 1.28 to 1.34

What's with this?

It won't be rock solid.  there will be peaks and valleys.  The important thing is stability and temp and the speed you want.  What are you using to test stability?

6 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

It won't be rock solid.  there will be peaks and valleys.  The important thing is stability and temp and the speed you want.  What are you using to test stability?

Aida64 and RealBench. On idle, it is still jumping around. It hardly even stays under 1.3. It averages around 1.335, which is 0.335 higher than what I set it as. Wtf?

10 hours ago, SnackHydra said:

Aida64 and RealBench. On idle, it is still jumping around. It hardly even stays under 1.3. It averages around 1.335, which is 0.335 higher than what I set it as. Wtf?

WHat is it set at in your BIOS?  Drop it .025 and see if it still passes and if there is a difference in the CPU temps.