Update B450 ROG Asus board with no cpu?

notenoughtv

I just bought an Asus ROG B450-F Gaming motherboard and a Ryzen 3600. I can't even boot into the BIOS and the DRAM troubleshooting light lights up. It needs a BIOS update but I don't have another cpu to boot with. It there a way to flash the BIOS without the cpu? 

I want to save myself a trip to the store so they can do it for me. 

The MB and CPU are brand new, and the ram is working properly

17 minutes ago, notenoughtv said:

I just bought an Asus ROG B450-F Gaming motherboard and a Ryzen 3600. I can't even boot into the BIOS and the DRAM troubleshooting light lights up. It needs a BIOS update but I don't have another cpu to boot with. It there a way to flash the BIOS without the cpu? 

I want to save myself a trip to the store so they can do it for me. 

The MB and CPU are brand new, and the ram is working properly

Did you check if the RAM sticks you bought are compatible with the board?

Ryzen 5 2600 | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1660 Ti | Asus ROG Strix B450-E | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8) RAM 3200MHZ 16CL | Cooler Master Mastercase H500 | TX650M GOLD | 2TB WD BLUE 5400 RPM | 500GB SATA SSD | Asus MG248QE Monitor| ---------- | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse | SkullCandy Crusher Wireless Headphones | Trash $6 membrane keyboard from a brand which I can't read the name of because it's literally so cheap that the company's logo hasn't been printed right and the letters are unclear and now that we're at it it's so loud and hurts my fingertips I honestly regret buying it I wish I'd bought normal ram sticks instead of corsair's overpriced rgb ones and with the money I saved buy a better keyboard instead

1 minute ago, ELSknutson said:

AMD will send you a CPU to update the bios with 

You need to fill RMA warranty form. It will take time. Store may be fast way.

32 minutes ago, Zmax said:

Check in BIOs Latest is 5204

Can't check it, I get no image in the screen and the BIOS version is not stated anywhere in the manual or the box

22 minutes ago, Deathtroya said:

Did you check if the RAM sticks you bought are compatible with the board?

Yes, they are

19 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

AMD will send you a CPU to update the bios with 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

That would take too long, I can just take it to the store so they do it but it's a 2 hour drive. Trying to avoid that

2 hours ago, notenoughtv said:

Can't check it, I get no image in the screen and the BIOS version is not stated anywhere in the manual or the box

Yes, they are

That would take too long, I can just take it to the store so they do it but it's a 2 hour drive. Trying to avoid that

Unfortunately, without the older CPU to update the board, it's not possible. This board does not feature a BIOS flashback feature which lets you update the BIOS without a CPU or RAM. As such, you need an older CPU from someone, to go back to the store to have them do it or to use the service offered by AMD. There's no workaround here, sorry.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Some B450mb have flashback button, you can update BIOS without CPU. But this B450 ROG F does not