Here's what you need to overclock 3rd-gen Ryzen

Overclocking AMD’s 3rd-gen Ryzen CPUs is pretty different from previous generations – So it’s time for an update to our Ryzen overclocking guide!

Buy a Ryzen 5 3600:
On Amazon: https://geni.us/AyDSv
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KVz7

Buy a Ryzen 7 3700X:
On Amazon: https://geni.us/MB2V
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KVzM

Buy a Ryzen 9 3900X:
On Amazon: https://geni.us/Ae4bF
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KVzC

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Mobo with USB flashback or amd boot kit or 1/2gen ryzen ??

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Do you have a source for the 1.35V recommended Core Voltage, or are you basing it off the around 1.35V you see (or at least I see) on an all core boost?

Just now, Frezeh said:

Do you have a source for the 1.35V recommended Core Voltage, or are you basing it off the around 1.35V you see (or at least I see) on an all core boost?

I believe The Stilt found that 3rd-gen chips begin to degrade at 1.35V, although stock operating voltages with XFR can pass 1.4V incidentally. With 1.35V configured manually, vdroop means it's really running at 1.28V or something like that when all cores are under load, depending on your load line calibration setting. In any case, setting over 1.35V didn't seem to help stability much in my testing regardless, so for all of those reasons, that's as high as I'd feel comfortable recommending.

Another great one - deep dive, yet very comprehensive!

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

2 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

I believe The Stilt found that 3rd-gen chips begin to degrade at 1.35V, although stock operating voltages with XFR can pass 1.4V incidentally. With 1.35V configured manually, vdroop means it's really running at 1.28V or something like that when all cores are under load, depending on your load line calibration setting. In any case, setting over 1.35V didn't seem to help stability much in my testing regardless, so for all of those reasons, that's as high as I'd feel comfortable recommending.

Stilt's recommendation was actually 1.325V, which I've used on my 3900X for almost a month now for a nice 4.3GHz. Maybe I'll try to increase it to around 1.35V and see If I can get that extra 100Mhz more along with some new B-die memory for awesome gains.

I have to commend you for the hard work you've put up for this great video. I've learned most of these things on my own, but might save countless hours for some of my friends who have concidered new Ryzens!

Anthony, you really are the man when it comes to technical details. Everything is explained in a nice, easy to understand way and you give enough information to explain without overloading or adding confusion.

Some great tips in this video, I've been messing with my 3800X and it seems like it has potential but I just can't get it 109% stable. I'll watch this a few times and try again over the coming weekend.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

So I am doing research for buying a ryzen 3600 chip and all of the overclocking sounds super complicated can someone explain in brief how to do it

37 minutes ago, Frezeh said:

Stilt's recommendation was actually 1.325V, which I've used on my 3900X for almost a month now for a nice 4.3GHz. Maybe I'll try to increase it to around 1.35V and see If I can get that extra 100Mhz more along with some new B-die memory for awesome gains.

I have to commend you for the hard work you've put up for this great video. I've learned most of these things on my own, but might save countless hours for some of my friends who have concidered new Ryzens!

"According to FIT, the safe voltage levels for the silicon are around 1.325V in high-current loads and up to 1.47V in low-current loads (i.e ST)" Right, so based on that, setting 1.35V and having vdroop bring it down to 1.28V or whatever will be within his recommendation, since he's talking about high-current, multi-core loads. So make sure that your high-load voltages don't exceed 1.325V (that is, don't set a too-aggressive voltage target or LLC) and you're fine.

5 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

"According to FIT, the safe voltage levels for the silicon are around 1.325V in high-current loads and up to 1.47V in low-current loads (i.e ST)" Right, so based on that, setting 1.35V and having vdroop bring it down to 1.28V or whatever will be within his recommendation, since he's talking about high-current, multi-core loads. So make sure that your high-load voltages don't exceed 1.325V (that is, don't set a too-aggressive voltage target or LLC) and you're fine.

So basically what I've been always doing :)

Funny thing about people calling Ryzens "not good overclockers" is that although they might not have as much headroom like the good old Sandy bridge, it's still full of stuff to tweak. The magic of Ryzen seems to be that they run at their top recommended voltages at stock, and "overclocking" at least on my setup gives lower temps and power consuption wtih more performance.

Anthony,

WIll you be releasing a written guide to go along with this?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I find it very interesting that 7nm has a lower voltage tolerance, 1.35v is down from the common wisdom of 14nm.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

This guy absolutely makes the best LTT videos lately.  Just really can get into what he is talking about.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

What I would like to know is right now my R7 3700x all i did was enable auto oc up to 200mhz, if I run c20 voltages bouncing between 1.359-1.362 temp according to Ryzen master 73c. Cores bounce between 4.075-4.175ghz. Everything straight out of the box all I did was go to bios under amd overclock pbo and set it to 200mhz and thats it. OC memory from 3000mhz c15 to 3200mhz and adjusted timings. Using Dram Calculator got a good pass (on multiple runs) and scored on C20 4738 pts . Gaming & Streaming temps don't go above 44c I am using a Corsair aio 240mm radiator with 2 120mm Corsair ML fans. While gaming and streaming all cores stay at and I mean stay at 4.3ghz, but my concern is while idling or light loads the cpu voltages bounc up and down but are staying at a average of 1.428. Is that degrading my CPU? Thats all stock settings. Idle Temps jump between 35.9c up to 40c, as well as idle voltages are 1.4-1.423. Any Help or input would be much appreciated.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE Anthony Videooooos PLZ <3 

Is it normal for Ryzen 3900X to freeze in AIDA64 memory stress test?..I found no matter what I did it always freeze for about 30s at the beginning running.. and if I ran tighter timings after the beginning 30S freeze if freeze for 5s repeatedly.( Just stared at the elapsed time counter)

Also what soc voltage you need to run infinity fabric at 1900mhz? 

I can't find CLDOVDDG voltage on my gigabyte motherboard is it the same as CPU vddg?

16 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Overclocking AMD’s 3rd-gen Ryzen CPUs is pretty different from previous generations – So it’s time for an update to our Ryzen overclocking guide!

I just wanted to commend Anthony on this video...not so much the topic or info...I know NOTHING about overclocking...it's all fairy magic to me....but his presentation. He just came across very confident and comfortable in front of the camera. It's been a real joy watching him improve as an on-screen presenter.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

So much dive and no Intel gaming comparison? The overclocking has gone this far and no updated 3900x vs 9900k ?

On 8/14/2019 at 3:26 PM, Master Disaster said:

Anthony, you really are the man when it comes to technical details. Everything is explained in a nice, easy to understand way and you give enough information to explain without overloading or adding confusion.

Some great tips in this video, I've been messing with my 3800X and it seems like it has potential but I just can't get it 109% stable. I'll watch this a few times and try again over the coming weekend.

Please report back with your findings! Just picked up a 3800x and the exact same cooler lol.

2 hours ago, Gavination said:

Please report back with your findings! Just picked up a 3800x and the exact same cooler lol.

Chip seems fine at 4.2 all core but cannot do 4.3 all core, it's mostly stable but Cinebench crashes. Tbh I've settled with an undervolt of -0.1v and leaving the CPU to do its thing. Seems to be the best balance of performance and temperature.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Chip seems fine at 4.2 all core but cannot do 4.3 all core, it's mostly stable but Cinebench crashes. Tbh I've settled with an undervolt of -0.1v and leaving the CPU to do its thing. Seems to be the best balance of performance and temperature. 

You are person of the year. Thanks for the update. I hadn't gotten around to OC'ing yet, but I'm amped to give it a go.

• 2 weeks later...

@GabenJr am looking into building a 2U linux/kvm machine with 3700x, x570 and 128GB of ram, but I have been stuck with my online research for CPU cooler (rather silent if possible, my 42U is in my living room) and ram offerings. any insight ?

• 1 month later...

So I have my 3900x @1.4v, 4.3 all core, no llc.  At full load in realbench and r20, my processors vcore goes down to 1.319.  Am I safe, or am I stupid?