Can't connect to Way Back Machine or Archive.is except via Tor

Delicieuxz

I can load Archive.org, but for days now I've been unable to access Archive.is and to search anything from Archive.org.

Archive.is is reported as being up when I check: https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/archive.is.html

Same with Way Back Machine, but it might just be pinging the Archive.org page, which loads for me: https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/archive.org.html

Using various browsers, I get the error:

This site can’t be reached

archive.is refused to connect.

Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

However, I can access both search engines from Tor Browser. So, what gives? I used to be able to access both search engines from my regular browsers without issue.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I'm not sure but if either of those websites uses cloudflare, cloudflare could be temporarily blocking your regular ip if it suspects suspicious activity (such as using Tor). However if this was the case, it should be asking you to complete a google captcha to let you in. Based on you using Tor often, do you also have extensions installed on your web browser that may be interfering with google captcha loading? 

Could be something simple too. I've had issues with vpn's disconnecting wrongly and thus screwing up my connection. A computer restart usually fixes the problem.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

I'm not running a VPN and I've tried accessing the search engines without any ad-blockers, still no luck.

I haven't done much or anything strange with those sites, either.

Maybe I'll call up my ISP and ask them if there's something happening on their end.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Sounds like your ISP is blocking the websites. Have you tried accessing the sites with your phone on your wifi. Try that and then with your data, if it only works on data, it's time for a VPN

• 4 weeks later...

Are you using Cloudflare's DNS (1.1.1.1)? If you are archive.is and other archive domains won't load because archive.is deliberately block the requests.

Apparently it's because Cloudflare doesn't support the EDNS Client Subnet? I think archive use this to Geo-locate their users.

You can read more about it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/ao51ko/problem_with_archiveis_domain_on_cloudflare_dns/

I don't see this stand off between Cloudflare and archive.is ending any time soon...

To visit the archive sites you will either need to use a proxy or VPN or change your DNS resolvers to open DNS or Google.

8 hours ago, zaxxon_36 said:

Are you using Cloudflare's DNS (1.1.1.1)? If you are archive.is and other archive domains won't load because archive.is deliberately block the requests.

Apparently it's because Cloudflare doesn't support the EDNS Client Subnet? I think archive use this to Geo-locate their users.

You can read more about it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/ao51ko/problem_with_archiveis_domain_on_cloudflare_dns/

I don't see this stand off between Cloudflare and archive.is ending any time soon...

To visit the archive sites you will either need to use a proxy or VPN or change your DNS resolvers to open DNS or Google.

Yes, I am running Cloudflare's DNC. That's it, then.

Thanks for that information!