Budget rig for a friend

Just now, 5x5 said:

Because any GPU paired with the 870 with the saved money will be bottlen coed into oblivion? Might as well get a Phenom II then

i give up. Do what you want

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Because the i5 6600K has faster cores and a good 20% IPC advantage due to it being 3 gens newer.

Actually no. From 2nd gen to 9th gen there really havent been much improvement. 

Its not a comparable

Just now, Epimetheus said:

and what could you get out of this?

That buying an older i7 is a worse investment because you have weaker cores that rely on a gimmick to catch up to newer, more.modern CPUs and can barely support modern standards and instruction sets. In anything but a multithewaded scenario, the i7 is a joke.

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Actually no. From 2nd gen to 9th gen there really havent been much improvement. 

Its not a comparable

It used to have improvement. Ivy to Haswrll was about 8-10%. Haswrll to Skylake another 8-10%. Only after Skylake did it drop to nothing.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Because any GPU paired with the 870 with the saved money will be bottlen coed into oblivion? Might as well get a Phenom II then

If he is going 1st gen. Might aswell go xeon

Just now, 5x5 said:

It used to have improvement. Ivy to Haswrll was about 8-10%. Haswrll to Skylake another 8-10%. Only after Skylake did it drop to nothing.

There were very minor improvements.

Its why people say there was only refreshes after sandybridge

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

There were very minor improvements.

Its why people say there was only refreshes after sandybridge

True. To be honest, most of the gains I Skylake were due to DDR 4 and all the optimisations on cache and latency

48 minutes ago, Yasin40 said:

Hi guys

I'm planning a new build for a friend, but his budget is really really small

Under a €100 (his family isn't very rich and he's saving up for his driving licence) 

There's a really nice 2nd hand shop near me and a guy I know who works there can hook me up with either an i7 860 with a board for €15 or an i5 2400 full system with 4GB RAM for €60

I have a 460W PSU from on older HP machine with a 6 pin connector and a case and 4GB DDR3 laying around, and we can get 4 more GB for €5. I don't know what PSU the other system has but it should be fine and I have the other one for him anyway. 

So what would be better?  An i5 2400 for €65 or an i7 860 for €20? 

And how fast of a graphics card should I get for him? I thought of r9 280X or 7970 but those require lots of power. Would an old 460W from Delta be able to power those and a HDD? Or should I get a GTX960? Will that be fast enough for eSports titles and such in the coming 2 years or so? Will the VRAM be a big issue? Or do you have any other GPU suggestions? 

Sorry for the long post but I want my friend to have the best rig he can for the little money he has. 

Thanks for your advice :)

As it is gonna be for gaming I suggest the i5 2400 option and than throw in the 4 gb stick of DDR3 you have laying around that would bump you up to 8 gb of ram and a somewhat decent cpu. As for the GPU, you're in big trouble, seeing that you're from the netherlands as well you can get gtx 960's for 60 euros, but that would put you over budget. The AMG GPUs you mentioned could, with patience and luck go for about 40 euros, but your PSU probably can't power them. The only GPU from the green team you could buy and power is the gtx 760, which is still a decent GPU.

So my suggestion is:

i5 2400 full system, non-activated windows on this bad boy, throw in you extra 4 gbs of ram and buy a GTX 760. 

Specs:
i5-2400
8gbs of ram
OEM mobo (presumably)
some HDD
Win 10
Gtx 760.

This system will run eSports titles for the coming years on 1080p mid to low just fine.

13 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

We should see what gpu he could get in the used market for the two different budgets and then consider

There isnt a massive difference between the prices. 

While a nicer GPU would be good. You are trading a awful lot CPU for it. 

9 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

True. To be honest, most of the gains I Skylake were due to DDR 4 and all the optimisations on cache and latency

OC. A 2600k to the limits and a 7700k to the limits and they would perform more or less the same. The 7700k just draws less power

12 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

OC. A 2600k to the limits and a 7700k to the limits and they would perform more or less the same. The 7700k just draws less power

Nah, there is a difference. A noticeable on too. I believe GN did a test on the 2600K in 2018 to see how it aged.

38 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Nah, there is a difference. A noticeable on too. I believe GN did a test on the 2600K in 2018 to see how it aged.

There is a difference, but i dont believe GN did a heavy OC. 

You can push the 2600k to 4,8ghz and some good samples to 5ghz. 

Offcourse you need to cool it, but it brings a perspective how little CPUs have actually moved. 

There is a difference, but i dont believe GN did a heavy OC. 

You can push the 2600k to 4,8ghz and some good samples to 5ghz. 

Offcourse you need to cool it, but it brings a perspective how little CPUs have actually moved. 

I mean, the 7700K also achieves 5GHz with a delid and good cooling but I personally prefer to look at a median OC since the vast majority of users don't even overclock, let alone reach the chip's maximum limits. I know a friend who keeps buying unlocked K CPUs and never overclocks them - he just likes having the option but is too afraid of breaking it to touch anything.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

7700K also achieves 5GHz with a delid

Not all of them. Also you dont need to delid the 2600k. Its soldered. 

With the 2600k its in the end more of a cooling issue than a silicon issue.

Not all of them. Also you dont need to delid the 2600k. Its soldered. 

With the 2600k its in the end more of a cooling issue than a silicon issue.

The gold days when Intel used good solder.

9 hours ago, Epimetheus said:

We should see what gpu he could get in the used market for the two different budgets and then consider

That was another question

I can get a 960 for 50, a 7970 for 40 but the PSU might be an issue, that's why I'm asking here or something else

Those are my fastest in-budget options I think

Sorry for my late reply, I was at work

9 hours ago, Lennart van de Merwe said:

As it is gonna be for gaming I suggest the i5 2400 option and than throw in the 4 gb stick of DDR3 you have laying around that would bump you up to 8 gb of ram and a somewhat decent cpu. As for the GPU, you're in big trouble, seeing that you're from the netherlands as well you can get gtx 960's for 60 euros, but that would put you over budget. The AMG GPUs you mentioned could, with patience and luck go for about 40 euros, but your PSU probably can't power them. The only GPU from the green team you could buy and power is the gtx 760, which is still a decent GPU.

So my suggestion is:

i5 2400 full system, non-activated windows on this bad boy, throw in you extra 4 gbs of ram and buy a GTX 760. 

Specs:
i5-2400
8gbs of ram
OEM mobo (presumably)
some HDD
Win 10
Gtx 760.

This system will run eSports titles for the coming years on 1080p mid to low just fine.

Is it worth it to pay 45 euros more for the i5 and get a slower gpu?