Hello Everyone!

So, bit of background...

I currently have a Desktop with a simplified spec below:

Intel i7 4790k

16GB DDR3 

GTX 1080ti 

144Hz G-Sync Monitor

All Under a custom EK loop

Im pretty happy with it (apart from wanting to upgrade the CPU and all that goes with that)

Life has thrown me a curveball (albeit a good one) and I may be moving from the UK to the US with work. Lugging my desktop all the way over there makes me want to cry so I’ve decided to sell my PC and go for a laptop.

I don’t really like the ‘IM A GAMER’ designs of most laptops so I decided on the Razer blade (turn RGB off) and think it looks pretty slick.

Although, as I’ve not been in the market for a laptop for a number of years now I’m slightly confused by the versions of GPUs out there

Ideal Budget is £2000 but (obviously) willing to go less if a better option arises, or willing to go slightly over

There Are 2 SKUs that I am interested in:

Base Edition- RTX 2060 (NON MaxQ) SSD + HDD, 144Hz panel, i7 - 9750H

Advanced Edition - RTX 2070 MaxQ, SSD, 144Hz Panel, i7 8750H

I’ve read that the 2070 MaxQ is not really that much better than the full 2060, how true is this?

How ‘close’ to my desktop experience am I going to get with the 2060?

Is it worth getting the 2070 MaxQ?

Can I achieve High frame rate gaming realistically with either? (I play R6 Siege mostly)

ANY recommendations are welcome, feel free to tell me I’m wrong, I just wanna make the best purchase I can while still having an understated design 

Peace 

Alex

Disclaimer: I think you'd be better off getting a desktop, so if you really really want to go with a gaming laptop, disregard everything I'm gonna say here. I'd say stay away from gaming laptops in general unless you desperately need the practicality of moving around with them. I think you should just get to the US with a basic laptop and buy your parts there.

Oh, and if you ultimately go with a laptop, please, stay away from Razer. Everything by them I've ever got in my life faulted at some point. Last part standing is my keyboard (a Razer Blackwidow Tournament Stealth 2014), and this thing acts ever more strangely. I'm never buying anything with that stupid green logo again. Overpriced shit and very low-quality standards.

If you have a £2000 budget, that can buy a really decent desktop, but if you're not playing things that are too demanding, going with an RTX 2060 will save you a lot of money from that budget. A graphics card is the most expensive part you'll have to buy, so it's important to choose wisely. A 2070 Super is a pretty sweet card, going about $500 right now for the cheaper AIB models. I'd go with either that or the 2060 (which I've got and, gotta say, it's a hell of a card). OR... you could keep your 1080Ti as the only part you'll take overseas. I mean, it doesn't take that much room in your luggage anyway.

Choosing a CPU right now is a no-brainer. AMD, of course. Stay away from Intel; it's not worth it. You'll save a lot if you get a Ryzen 5 3600, or a Ryzen 7 3700x if you're the multitasking, video-editing, streaming type. Get some good, fast RAM to go with it, a decent 550Wish power supply, a relatively spacious case, and you're good to go. That shouldn't cost you a lot.

As for storage, conventional SSDs are so cheap right now that it'd be a crime not to get one. Depending on your storage needs, a 480GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive - for mass storage - would be your best bet, and it shouldn't cost you much. 

Finally, when it comes to displays, 144hz is only that necessary if you play games competitively. Say you like to play Fortnite or PUBG intensely, a high refresh rate will be good for you. Get a 24'' or a 27'' 1080p monitor with Freesync and you won't regret. 

Moonstone -- MSI B450 Tomahawk Ryzen 5 3600 Gigabyte RTX 2060 G. OC Pro 6GB • 16GB HyperX Fury Black  Corsair CX550M • Aerocool Cylon

Peripherals: Dell P2719H 27'' @ 1080p + Acer VA270H 27'' @ 1080p • Redragon Mitra RGB Red Switch  Superlux HD681 • Logitech Z207

Storage: WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe SSD + Kingston A400 480GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

Rebound 95 -- PC Chips M519 Socket 7 AT Mobo • Pentium P54C 100Mhz • Cirrus Logic GD3454 1MB GPU • Creative L. Sound Blaster 16 CT2950 • 8MB of RAM

(Check my albums for pictures of the systems)

Don't buy Razer, seriously..it's been discussed hundreds of times on the forum. Horrible design flaws in the electrical designs and build quality, poor component choice for power delivery, horrid customer support and very low Tel ability. They are not durable at all and die within a period of 1-2 years at most.

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Don't buy Razer, seriously..it's been discussed hundreds of times on the forum. Horrible design flaws in the electrical designs and build quality, poor component choice for power delivery, horrid customer support and very low Tel ability. They are not durable at all and die within a period of 1-2 years at most.

This. 

Moonstone -- MSI B450 Tomahawk Ryzen 5 3600 Gigabyte RTX 2060 G. OC Pro 6GB • 16GB HyperX Fury Black  Corsair CX550M • Aerocool Cylon

Peripherals: Dell P2719H 27'' @ 1080p + Acer VA270H 27'' @ 1080p • Redragon Mitra RGB Red Switch  Superlux HD681 • Logitech Z207

Storage: WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe SSD + Kingston A400 480GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

Rebound 95 -- PC Chips M519 Socket 7 AT Mobo • Pentium P54C 100Mhz • Cirrus Logic GD3454 1MB GPU • Creative L. Sound Blaster 16 CT2950 • 8MB of RAM

(Check my albums for pictures of the systems)

Razer are reported to have many Issue with thermal, sometimes when gaming it heat up the gpu to 80C. whihc isnt normal. even linus razer almost dead actually. dont get into market. if you want gaming i suggest go Asus Rog or MSi. although i like lenovo Legion because of its design

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

Just now, Wolfycapt said:

Razer are reported to have many Issue with thermal, sometimes when gaming it heat up the gpu to 80C. whihc isnt normal. even linus razer almost dead actually. dont get into market. if you want gaming i suggest go Asus Rog or MSi. although i like lenovo Legion because of its design

Even a Chrome book is better designed internally than a Razer device sadly.

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Even a Chrome book is better designed internally than a Razer device sadly.

chromebook is really tough tho, like seriously that where their budget went off.

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

Thanks Guys,

just to add a bit more context, a desktop just won’t be a viable option for me for a while

While my visa is being done I will be in my girlfriends parents house (small room no room for Pc) 

if for some reason the US job falls through I will still be in their house to save for a deposit for a mortgage

lastly, the question still stands, take Razer out of the picture, 2060 or 2070 MaxQ?

cheers for the input I really do appreciate it!

1 hour ago, Wolfycapt said:

Razer are reported to have many Issue with thermal

The new ones have decent thermals actually

1 hour ago, Wolfycapt said:

if you want gaming i suggest go Asus Rog or MSi

They aren't the best choices IMO due to lower QC+QA

1 hour ago, Wiggyweir said:

£2000 but (obviously) willing to go less if a better option arises, or willing to go slightly over

Avoid Razer laptops

2070MQ is only slightly faster than 2060 (assuming that both are 80w variants and have dual channel RAM). It is only worth getting if you need the extra 2GB VRAM. And why not get a full 2070N instead.

Are you from UK? Any preference on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

6 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

The new ones have decent thermals actually

They aren't the best choices IMO due to lower QC+QA

Avoid Razer laptops

2070MQ is only slightly faster than 2060 (assuming that both are 80w variants and have dual channel RAM). It is only worth getting if you need the extra 2GB VRAM. And why not get a full 2070N instead.

Are you from UK? Any preference on weight and battery life?

I am from the UK and live there currently 

battery life is a non-issue

weight - I would prefer a slimmer lighter form factor and am willing to accept thermal/noise draw backs of this 

16 hours ago, Wiggyweir said:

I would prefer a slimmer lighter form factor and am willing to accept thermal/noise draw backs of this 

Max weight in kg/pounds?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128