Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joveice

Is Steam having issues?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

First I got a email telling me steam guard was added.

Then I got an email telling me my password was changed.

The emails are from steam / someone who mange to send from them as them without getting flagged as spam as the headers and everything are just like the genuine ones.

 

Then I tried to change the password, I'm getting told that my password is invalid, this is on the reset password page with two boxes, new password and confirm new password..

After a few tries I managed to get a new password set. Then I tried to remove steam guard from my account and I had to type in a code from a SMS, it begins with lots of spaces and ends with two numbers, I try the two numbers, invalid. then I try with the same amount of spaces, invalid.

I request a new code, same code with all the spaces but from a new number, I did it again, new number same code..

 

This doesn't seem right..


Operator @ Norsk Helsenett SF. Our mission is to deliver and develop a secure, robust and appropriate national ICT infrastructure for effective interaction between healthcare and healthcare professionals.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You should probably contact Steam support and give them as much info as you can so they can sort this out for you


I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play MTGA & watch anime at 720p...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee! The Cassette Deck!

 

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

 

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

You should probably contact Steam support and give them as much info as you can so they can sort this out for you

Never been able to contact steam, always a automated scripted reply what ever the issues was.


Operator @ Norsk Helsenett SF. Our mission is to deliver and develop a secure, robust and appropriate national ICT infrastructure for effective interaction between healthcare and healthcare professionals.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like someone hacked your Steam account and has your username and password and tried to add Steam Guard to keep you out, but I am just assuming this from what you said.


AMD Ryzen 5 3600 -- ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 -- G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3200 -- Gigabyte GTX 1070 -- NZXT S340 -- Windows 10 64-Bit

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well firstly, Did you register for steam guard? You need to assign it to a MSISDN and un-assigning that MSISDN (phone number) if you want to change device at a later date, it Is a real pain in the butt with steam. If YOU didn't do that then it sounds as if you might have been hacked by someone else who got a hold of your password. If that is the case then just thing where else you use the old password, when was the last time you changed it, and how secure was it? Might be time to update your passwords elsewhere too. 

 

Only things that lead me to think this is the fact that you cannot deactivate the Steam guard, and your password was changed. Steam guard can be used to change account credentials without other authentication, or as an additional level of authentication (as far as I can remember). The task of removing SG is already tedious even if you do have the registered MSISDN available to hand, I'd advise getting in contact with steam to resolve this issue if you think that my above questions are pointing towards someone accessing your account without permission. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, TokiToki said:

Well firstly, Did you register for steam guard? You need to assign it to a MSISDN and un-assigning that MSISDN (phone number) if you want to change device at a later date, it Is a real pain in the butt with steam. If YOU didn't do that then it sounds as if you might have been hacked by someone else who got a hold of your password. If that is the case then just thing where else you use the old password, when was the last time you changed it, and how secure was it? Might be time to update your passwords elsewhere too. 

 

Only things that lead me to think this is the fact that you cannot deactivate the Steam guard, and your password was changed. Steam guard can be used to change account credentials without other authentication, or as an additional level of authentication (as far as I can remember). The task of removing SG is already tedious even if you do have the registered MSISDN available to hand, I'd advise getting in contact with steam to resolve this issue if you think that my above questions are pointing towards someone accessing your account without permission. 

I changed the password some were around May and it was generated with lastpass. I have already had steam guard linked to the account, so now I feel it's useless if you can login without using it anyways (as it seems).

 

I'll guess I'll try contacting them, never had luck with it before tho.


Operator @ Norsk Helsenett SF. Our mission is to deliver and develop a secure, robust and appropriate national ICT infrastructure for effective interaction between healthcare and healthcare professionals.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Joveice said:

I changed the password some were around May and it was generated with lastpass. I have already had steam guard linked to the account, so now I feel it's useless if you can login without using it anyways (as it seems).

 

I'll guess I'll try contacting them, never had luck with it before tho.

Have you changed number any time recently? I had SG too and then I changed my number and it caused months of hassle for me as I needed it in order to post thing on the Steam market. To this day I still haven't been able to change the MSISDN on my account to my new one. Honestly, the only thing wrong is the ridiculously tedious process needed to change the steam guard MSISDN. With Steam guard, I think you can change what things require SG authentication to change. as far as i can recall. Try digging in the setting on steam and maybe you will find it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, TokiToki said:

Have you changed number any time recently? I had SG too and then I changed my number and it caused months of hassle for me as I needed it in order to post thing on the Steam market. To this day I still haven't been able to change the MSISDN on my account to my new one. Honestly, the only thing wrong is the ridiculously tedious process needed to change the steam guard MSISDN. With Steam guard, I think you can change what things require SG authentication to change. as far as i can recall. Try digging in the setting on steam and maybe you will find it. 

No, I have a unlisted number that I have had for years so that should not be a issue.

I would really like to use a normal 2FA, I already have like 5 other apps for other services that just needed to create their own 2FA instead of using what most use.


Operator @ Norsk Helsenett SF. Our mission is to deliver and develop a secure, robust and appropriate national ICT infrastructure for effective interaction between healthcare and healthcare professionals.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Joveice said:

No, I have a unlisted number that I have had for years so that should not be a issue.

I would really like to use a normal 2FA, I already have like 5 other apps for other services that just needed to create their own 2FA instead of using what most use.

2FA is a real ball ache I know. All i can really suggest is to change your password, check SG is configured correctly on your device and on the PC, either remove device via steam phone app>disable SG>enable SG>re-add device and see how it goes from there, or Contact steam and wait for them to let you know whats going on, or do both. Steam support with account security is touchy, sometimes its helpful, sometimes its just VOID and ROBOTS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, TokiToki said:

2FA is a real ball ache I know. All i can really suggest is to change your password, check SG is configured correctly on your device and on the PC, either remove device via steam phone app>disable SG>enable SG>re-add device and see how it goes from there, or Contact steam and wait for them to let you know whats going on, or do both. Steam support with account security is touchy, sometimes its helpful, sometimes its just VOID and ROBOTS.

I manged to remove it, finally. But now I can't add it back, even tho I feel it's useless if you are able to login without it anyways.

I made this reddit post about it too on r/steam.

I have also contacted steam now, not hoping for much, but at least I did it.

 


Operator @ Norsk Helsenett SF. Our mission is to deliver and develop a secure, robust and appropriate national ICT infrastructure for effective interaction between healthcare and healthcare professionals.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Joveice I wonder if there is a cool-down period between adding authenticators? Just a theory. I think thus far you have done all you can do and taken all precautions to save those precious games! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This same thing happened to my friend last week. Someone got into his account and changed his info. Took like 72 hours of dealing with steam to get it sorted out 


CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk

Cooler: Corsair h100i rgb platinum

Fans: 3 Corsair ML120 rgb 

GPU: Asus Strix Rtx 2060

Ram: 16gb Corsair Vengeance Rgb Pro 3600

Case: Fractal design focus G

PSU: EVGA 600bq

Storage:860 evo 500gb, 2tb wd Black, 256gb adata su800 os drive. 

Display: Aoc G2590fx 144hz 1080p

Mouse: Logitech G703

Keyboard: Razer ornata chroma 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 hours ago, TokiToki said:

@Joveice I wonder if there is a cool-down period between adding authenticators? Just a theory. I think thus far you have done all you can do and taken all precautions to save those precious games! 

There could be, first time I have to re add it.

32 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

This same thing happened to my friend last week. Someone got into his account and changed his info. Took like 72 hours of dealing with steam to get it sorted out 

It's a shame, I have had this happened once before, but then I didn't have steam guard, not that it seems to do a difference 😅


Operator @ Norsk Helsenett SF. Our mission is to deliver and develop a secure, robust and appropriate national ICT infrastructure for effective interaction between healthcare and healthcare professionals.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Joveice said:

There could be, first time I have to re add it.

It's a shame, I have had this happened once before, but then I didn't have steam guard, not that it seems to do a difference 😅

My friend said he had steam guard on to. I don't think that it does much good because I've seen a lot of people having this issue lately (past month). Hopefully you get it resolved quickly


CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk

Cooler: Corsair h100i rgb platinum

Fans: 3 Corsair ML120 rgb 

GPU: Asus Strix Rtx 2060

Ram: 16gb Corsair Vengeance Rgb Pro 3600

Case: Fractal design focus G

PSU: EVGA 600bq

Storage:860 evo 500gb, 2tb wd Black, 256gb adata su800 os drive. 

Display: Aoc G2590fx 144hz 1080p

Mouse: Logitech G703

Keyboard: Razer ornata chroma 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I got a reply from the support, that was quick, wait, it's a pre made message.

I wrote what I wrote in the Reddit post.

I started with that the support page is in Norwegian and is telling me to write a message, it's all in Norwegian making it natural for me to write in Norwegian. But since you replied in English last time I will have it in English.

 

Reply:

Quote

Hi there,
 
I am sorry we do not have Norwegian speakers working in our support.

If you believe someone has access to your account or you'd like to change your password, please reset your password here.

If you're concerned about security, check out our Security Recommendations article. We also highly recommend that you enable a Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator.

I can see that you removed the mobile authenticator recently in your account. The mobile authenticator is supposed to secure more your account.
Without an Authenticator to protect your account, trades and Market listings will be held for up to 15 days to give you time to discover any unauthorized actions or access to your account. 

Check our Mobile Authenticator Guide for more information.

We apologize for any inconvenience and let us know if you need any additional questions. 

Thanks for using Steam,

Useless.


Operator @ Norsk Helsenett SF. Our mission is to deliver and develop a secure, robust and appropriate national ICT infrastructure for effective interaction between healthcare and healthcare professionals.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×