Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SmithOCE

I Need serious help please.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So i have had my pc for about 6 months. i have always has 1 issue and that is my pc constantly restarts and on average it resets about 1 time a day and the most it has reset in a day was about 6 - 8 times. i recently bought a rtx 2070 because i thought i would of been the graphics card maybe but i since then discovered userbenchmark. i ran a test and my cpu usage is apparently performing way below expectations at a 2nd percentile and averaging at 43.9% is what it is saying. when overclocked my gpu and memory, everything is running perfectly CPU. i have applied new thermal paste and all, i have water cooling on my cpu aswell but it constantly sits at 100 degrees when i am playing fortnite. i play 1080p with every graphic setting on lowest but fps dips down to about 2 - 30's when i am playing and it just randomly spikes down to bad fps like evry 5 - 10 seconds. i just think that my cpu must be fried from it always resetting. i am thinking of getting a i5-9400F, it is cheap and apparently good for gaming. please let me know if there are better cpu's for fortnite and rtx 2070, reasonably around the same price please. thank you and also. Here's my specs

CPU - i7-6700k 4.0ghz and im pretty sure 8 cores?

GPU- RTX 2070

Motherboard- MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X

SSD- Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

Hard DriveWD Blue 2TB

RAM- Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 C16 2x8GB

Thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites

@SmithOCE I hate to break it to you, but the i7 6700k is a 4 CORE and 8 THREAD CPU. But even then, it's a great CPU to have. What cooler do you have?

The GPU might have some problems with the drivers or something. Did you try the normal troubleshooting? Such as updating drivers, or do you have the game running on the discrete GPU and not the integrated? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

6700k is 4 cores, 8 threads. if it is hitting 100c, you're probably thermal throttling, run something like HWinfo64 and run the game, then you can see a min, max, and average CPU temp, and it will say if it was thermal throttled at any point. Your overclock is either too high, voltage too high, or the cooler isn't mounted properly or running properly. there are a lot of variables at play. Random shutdowns can even be PSU related, you didn't mention the wattage on that. I had a 750W that would overheat with my overclocked 7700k and overclocked 2080Ti and would just shut my PC down to protect itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, AzureNissi said:

@SmithOCE I hate to break it to you, but the i7 6700k is a 4 CORE and 8 THREAD CPU. But even then, it's a great CPU to have. What cooler do you have?

The GPU might have some problems with the drivers or something. Did you try the normal troubleshooting? Such as updating drivers, or do you have the game running on the discrete GPU and not the integrated? 

i have a Fractal Design Kelvin T12 Water Cooler

i just checked for new drivers for the cpu and it says its at the latest? and i am not too sure on what u mean by "do you have the game running on the discrete GPU and not the integrated?" sorry, im just new to learning about pc's and stuff 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, Labeled said:

6700k is 4 cores, 8 threads. if it is hitting 100c, you're probably thermal throttling, run something like HWinfo64 and run the game, then you can see a min, max, and average CPU temp, and it will say if it was thermal throttled at any point. Your overclock is either too high, voltage too high, or the cooler isn't mounted properly or running properly. there are a lot of variables at play. Random shutdowns can even be PSU related, you didn't mention the wattage on that. I had a 750W that would overheat with my overclocked 7700k and overclocked 2080Ti and would just shut my PC down to protect itself.

yeah i have a 750W fractal power supply sorry

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

i have a hdmi in my GPU in which i play fortnite on and my other monitor is DP and in my GPU aswell, its only used to read chat whilst i stream but i cannot stream with fps that i am currently getting :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Labeled said:

Is your display cable plugged into your motherboard, or your graphics card?

i have a hdmi in my GPU in which i play fortnite on and my other monitor is DP and in my GPU aswell, its only used to read chat whilst i stream but i cannot stream with fps that i am currently getting :( ( forgot to click the quote thing )

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SmithOCE said:

i have a hdmi in my GPU in which i play fortnite on and my other monitor is DP and in my GPU aswell, its only used to read chat whilst i stream but i cannot stream with fps that i am currently getting :(

check that your CPU cooler is on correctly.with your specs, there is no real reason for why your CPU is at is hitting 100C and for why your frames are bad in games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Take off the CPU cooler and check if the plastic is still on there and if it is then remove it. Apply new paste and remount the cooler after that. Your CPU is running too hot and that's likely why it's shutting down and running slow.


I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play MTGA & watch anime at 720p...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee! The Cassette Deck!

 

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

 

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Labeled said:

since you have a second monitor, https://www.hwinfo.com/ download and have this running on the other monitor and see if you're thermal throttling when you play.

ok thanks, i havent played any games with my overclock yet, i just overclocked to test if any of the other things are failing but it just seems to be the cpu, and fortnite is down and i have no other games to trial whilst they update fortnite

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Take off the CPU cooler and check if the plastic is still on there and if it is then remove it. Apply new paste and remount the cooler after that. Your CPU is running too hot and that's likely why it's shutting down and running slow.

i have taken off my water cooler and it all seems fine, i re-applied thermal paste about 3 days ago also

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, AzureNissi said:

check that your CPU cooler is on correctly.with your specs, there is no real reason for why your CPU is at is hitting 100C and for why your frames are bad in games. 

yeah its really weird, would a new cpu fix the problem do you think? if i could i would love to get this one working but i have had about 4 different pc guys check my pc and say that there are no problems?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SmithOCE said:

i have taken off my water cooler and it all seems fine, i re-applied thermal paste about 3 days ago also

Do you have enough mounting pressure? Do you have a picture of the thermal paste spread? What core voltage is set in the BIOS?


I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play MTGA & watch anime at 720p...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee! The Cassette Deck!

 

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

 

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Do you have enough mounting pressure? Do you have a picture of the thermal paste spread? What core voltage is set in the BIOS?

i am not too sure about mounting pressure, the thermal paste is by Chemtools, r001, heatsink compound and says thermally conductive grease, 150gram tube

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SmithOCE said:

i am not too sure about mounting pressure, the thermal paste is by Chemtools, r001, heatsink compound and says thermally conductive grease, 150gram tube

What paste it is isn't very important, what I'm looking for is how the spread looks so I could tell if you are using the right amount of the stuff. Also the voltage set in BIOS is one to check because it could have automatically gone too high for some reason


I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play MTGA & watch anime at 720p...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee! The Cassette Deck!

 

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

 

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

What paste it is isn't very important, what I'm looking for is how the spread looks so I could tell if you are using the right amount of the stuff. Also the voltage set in BIOS is one to check because it could have automatically gone too high for some reason

ok so i did a dot in the middle of the cpu and then put the water cooler back on. i put my bios to default settings because if i turn on either game boost or XMP it will not let me into my pc and gives me 3 options on like how to start it up, f1 just doesnt do anything, f2 is to put it to normal settings and thats what i did and something else that does nothing 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the pump on you AIO work? How good you motherboard's VRM and chipset cooling? Seems to be a thermal issue to me, you should also check if the fan works on the radiator, maybe set a more aggressive fan profile.

 

Even my FX runs cooler @4,8Ghz ( 55 celsius max )

67890265_2407441946191588_1982718622237196288_n.jpg


system out println("Please don't drop it Linus!");

Setup:

 

CPU: AMD FX-8350, ( overclocked it to 4,8Ghz) 

CPU Cooler: Enermax Lepa aquachanger 240M 

Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD-3 Rev 3.0 

RAM: Samsung 1600Mhz 8Gb kit 

GPU: Gigabyte RX470 G1 gaming ( overclocked to 1275Mhz + 1800Mhz memory ) 

PSU: EVGA 80+ 600w 

Case: Cooler Master Masterbox MB520 RGB 

Monitors: Samsung Curved 2560x1440, 1ms, Full HD Orion TV 

Keyborad and mouse: Generic IBM keyboard, Asus ROG Strix Impact mouse

 

Some comic sans because why not 🤷‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

698232669_capture1.PNG.87563fb138321a6db1b737b28798a072.PNGok so here is what my thing looks like, i dont know anything about it but i am not playing fortnite at the moment so it should be better than what it would be if i was to be playing fortnite

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing: have you made sure the pump is running? Check the cable from the block and make sure it is plugged in right.


I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play MTGA & watch anime at 720p...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee! The Cassette Deck!

 

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

 

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Another thing: have you made sure the pump is running? Check the cable from the block and make sure it is plugged in right.

ill try look. i am not too sure on alot of terms about pc's sorry but i am slowly learning 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked up that paste, and its 0.9 W/mK for thermal conductivity.. I've never seen any rated that low. Good paste is usually around 8.5W/mK great is at 12.5 W/mK.

 

I forgot to add, launch HWinfo as Sensors only.

I think your paste is the issue..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×