ASrock X570 boards

Go to solution Solved by Herman Mcpootis,

avoid the phantom gaming 4 and pro4, VRM wise they both suck.

Hey guys,

any of you using X570 boards from ASrock? Id be interested in your thoughts about general quality, the fan quality and noise, as well as the BIOS functionality.

Specifically Im thinking about getting either

- Phantom Gaming 4 (170€)

- Taichi (320€)

dont need PCIe 4.0, I'd choose em for their Thunderbolt 3 header, in case I get better Audio Production gear some time later. Also they all seem to have LAN "by Intel" - to be very unspecific here. People call the latter alot better than Realtek alternatives.

B450 Tomahawk is a bummer, since apparently two of the four Sata ports dont work, if you actively use the NVME M.2 slot :/ any good alternatives?

Id get a 3600 or 3700x

Greetings, chris

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

k. I've already seen a YT video recently of someone being very unhappy with these offerings.

However, what I ask myself is this:

If these boards have been (power wise esp) improved for 3000 series Ryzen, then how much worse can they be compared to older boards like say a B350 or B450.

kinda like "lower tier medium quality = higher tier lower quality"

seems tho, that ppl r having major issues with the taichi fan noise and most find the phantom and pro 4 bad.

Id skip this generations whole fan debacle asap, if I wasnt interested in that TB3 header. -.-

6 minutes ago, quakeguy81 said:

I resent that!  I don't overclock, so I don't care.

point is tho, that I want proper quality thats say "adequate for its price class"

however, before ryzen 3000 I havent noticed too much attention to the topic of mosfets, and VRMs and power stages or whatever (dont really understand all that fully)

Since 3000 runs on garbage a320 boards just fine idk... i dont wanna fall into a trap and basically spend 220€ for pcie 4 which i wont use, tb3 which i just might use, wifi 6, bt5 and a fancy design.

i can get anything i need with a pcie expansion card - except for TB 3 which'd be useful for higher end audio gear (latency)

8 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

great! because i sure as shit wasn't talking to you.

im not a native speaker so I cant really say if his post was that offensive. but I think we can all be peaceful round here :) I appreciate both of your guys' time answering me.

im tempted to just cr*p on x570 and get a b450 (msi gaming plus) with bios flashback. mostly the fans on them seem to be a problem

what is your experience with the fan @quakeguy81?

7 minutes ago, Chris V said:

point is tho, that I want proper quality thats say "adequate for its price class"

however, before ryzen 3000 I havent noticed too much attention to the topic of mosfets, and VRMs and power stages or whatever (dont really understand all that fully)

Since 3000 runs on garbage a320 boards just fine idk... i dont wanna fall into a trap and basically spend 220€ for pcie 4 which i wont use, tb3 which i just might use, wifi 6, bt5 and a fancy design.

i can get anything i need with a pcie expansion card - except for TB 3 which'd be useful for higher end audio gear (latency)

See if you can spring for the steel legend instead if you want thinderbolt 3.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

3 hours ago, Chris V said:

k. I've already seen a YT video recently of someone being very unhappy with these offerings.

However, what I ask myself is this:

If these boards have been (power wise esp) improved for 3000 series Ryzen, then how much worse can they be compared to older boards like say a B350 or B450.

kinda like "lower tier medium quality = higher tier lower quality"

seems tho, that ppl r having major issues with the taichi fan noise and most find the phantom and pro 4 bad.

Id skip this generations whole fan debacle asap, if I wasnt interested in that TB3 header. -.-

example @Herman Mcpootis

B450 Gaming Plus (seems to be highly appreciated)

VRM: 6 reale Phasen (4+2), PWM-Controller: RT8894A (max. 6 Phasen)

MOSFETs CPU 8x 46A 4C029N/4C024N

MOSFETs SoC 4x 46A 4C029N/4C024N

ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4

VRM: 6 reale Phasen (4+2), PWM-Controller: uP9505P (max. 6 Phasen)

MOSFETs CPU 8x 55A SM4337/SM4336

MOSFETs SoC 2x 55A SM4337/SM4336

Now, I cant evaluate this. But it seems to only really be different when it comes to the mosfets for the system on chip. what does it mean that its only 2x instead of 4x? it has higher A tho and might be technically different - in lower or higher quality or say.. more sophisticated and hence not needing 4x? idk - thats my problem haha

2 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

See if you can spring for the steel legend instead if you want thinderbolt 3.

seems like a nice board, I like the design too.

However, it doesnt seem to have a TB3 header thats required for the ASRock TB3 card. As far as I know right now thats the only way to get TB3 on AM4 platform.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/product.asp?Model=Thunderbolt 3 AIC#Overview

image.png.260452627d5f0843b8f08822cb55a8fc.png

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/QIG/B450 Steel Legend_multiQIG.pdf

24 minutes ago, quakeguy81 said:

Chipset fan has always been whisper quiet.  My only complaint is it runs hot (70C under load), and the GPU blocks it due to where it's positioned.

good to hear that its working fine for you. some people are describing horrible noise. theres a vid on YT of an x570 taichi and that sounds like an overheated, dust filled, crap pc from 2002 lol

why did you personally choose x570? if i may ask :)

@Chris V i'm referring to the x570 steel legend.

9 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

@Chris V i'm referring to the x570 steel legend.

my mistake

thank you very much for your help. I did some more research audio interface wise and Im just ditching thunderbolt. Im getting an msi b450 gaming plus. Has bios flashback and shld be mostly the same as a tomahawk (which isnt available right now -.-). im saving those 100 (and more) bucks