Dls cable work in wan port?

Escapenz102

So I have 3 of the Asus rt-ac68u. When I was staying at my in-laws I was using the ai mesh mode to improve the WiFi for them. Now I moved into my own home I would like to use them with my vdls connection until they install the fiber in a month or two. My question is will the dsl cable work in the wan port? I know its fit but I can't test for another day or two as my connection is set up as I just moved in a day or two ago. Really hoping it will so I can start my little project of wiring the house up to had wired connection in every room. Thanks all 

Depends if you have a dedicated modem or not. The RT-AC68U doesn't have a built in modem (or not all versions do), so you can't plug it straight into the DSL connection.

If you have a dedicated modem, or a version of the AC68U that has a built in modem, it will work. Though you only need one of them plugged into the WAN port. The rest would be connected via the LAN ports. 

1 hour ago, Escapenz102 said:

So I have 3 of the Asus rt-ac68u. When I was staying at my in-laws I was using the ai mesh mode to improve the WiFi for them. Now I moved into my own home I would like to use them with my vdls connection until they install the fiber in a month or two. My question is will the dsl cable work in the wan port? I know its fit but I can't test for another day or two as my connection is set up as I just moved in a day or two ago. Really hoping it will so I can start my little project of wiring the house up to had wired connection in every room. Thanks all 

If the modem has a "DMZ" port on it, yes. "WAN" ports on routers are outside the firewall, and on DSL modems, might not be connected to anything. You won't find out until you try it.  Anything you plug into the numbered ports is behind the firewall and will recieve IP addresses from the DHCP server in the router.

Pro-tip: "wireless extenders" are just access points without the router. Mesh networks basically do this with the WiFi connection itself, but there is a latency penalty to this.

Ideally, you just run cat6 or cat5e to all your machines with an Ethernet port and leave the WiFi for the smartphones and tablets.

12 hours ago, Kisai said:

If the modem has a "DMZ" port on it, yes. "WAN" ports on routers are outside the firewall, and on DSL modems, might not be connected to anything. You won't find out until you try it.  Anything you plug into the numbered ports is behind the firewall and will recieve IP addresses from the DHCP server in the router.

Pro-tip: "wireless extenders" are just access points without the router. Mesh networks basically do this with the WiFi connection itself, but there is a latency penalty to this.

Ideally, you just run cat6 or cat5e to all your machines with an Ethernet port and leave the WiFi for the smartphones and tablets.

Will be wiring my house up with cat6 so they will be all hard wired. We'll the wireless ai mesh did have higher pinh and slower speeds found it far better than the current set up they had