Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InfinityVive

Why after you buy a phone you always wish you never bought it or waited for newer phones?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I know this Question is stupid but why everyone that buys smartphones always regrets it? I mean the people who bought sasmung S9 go like: Damn... I should havewaited to buy the samsung s10 the same price as S9... And here is another example... I Bought Samsung J7 Pro in 2018 for 270$ Then a year later the Sasmung A50 which has 40% better hardware than the J7 Pro was released for 260$ So then I went like: Damn I should have waited... So why are all Samsung and HTC etc... phones are always a very regretted buy afterwards? Also are there any phones that you can buy and not regretting that you bought it a year later...

Never regretted buying my note 8, I don't hear about people regretting not waiting a year for the new phone anyway, especially because if a new phone comes out every year, you can always say you should have waited a year for the next model and just wait forever 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, Seasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained

Just now, fasauceome said:

Never regretted buying my note 8, I don't hear about people regretting not waiting a year for the new phone anyway, especially because if a new phone comes out every year, you can always say you should have waited a year for the next model and just wait forever 

So should I regret my J7 Pro or not? It is the mid-range samsung phone of 2018...

That's just how technology works though. You wait longer, you get better and cheaper things

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

I should havewaited to buy the samsung s10 the same price as S9.

you know the drill, prices are roughly unchanged and a newer model is out every year. and new tech of course.

you need to learn to stay away from market once you made your purchase

1 minute ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

you know the drill, prices are roughly unchanged and a newer model is out every year. and new tech of course.

you need to learn to stay away from market once you made your purchase

So should I regret my J7 pro or not?

6 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

So should I regret my J7 Pro or not? It is the mid-range samsung phone of 2018...

Why would you want so badly to regret a purchase? Does it do what you paid for it to do? Don't come asking us if you made a bad purchase after you completed the purchase, what's done is done and I hope the product is nice to use.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, Seasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Why would you want so badly to regret a purchase? Does it do what you paid for it to do? Don't come asking us if you made a bad purchase after you completed the purchase, what's done is done and I hope the product is nice to use.

Well... I bought it for web browsing which worked just fine and playing games Like PUBG Mobile which ran just crap then I found out PUBG Mobiles' Optimization is sh*t since it ran better on Samsung J6+ Which has a weaker CPU than J7 pro... So nothing to regret I guess?

13 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

What do you even mean with "for your own sake"?

Because it seems its a worry over nothing..

You've not been specific enough on your needs and wants,.. by not being specific, your needs must be basic enough and therefore the phone you have is likely exactly what you need, not the one you want but don't need.

Edit : Figures I'd say specifics in my post

.. then you are right after lol.

Besides tuning PUBG with PubG tools and trial and error finding sweet spot performance, I know it can be done, but don't know how beneficial it is on other phones not my own..

I got 40-50fps at the start but... (20-40fps sustained over time) at 900p medium low mixtures on a Aging Snapdragon 810 Warm/Hot Nexus 6P. (A year or so ago)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

7 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

I bought it for web browsing which worked just fine

Then no regrets.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

22 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

but why everyone that buys smartphones always regrets it?

Nope, I haven't regretted buying my phone even for one day. Not one. Why? Well, maybe because I actually researched first what I was buying!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I regret nothing about buying an iPhone 8 Plus. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP
18 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Because it seems its a worry over nothing..

You've not been specific enough on your needs and wants,.. by not being specific, your needs must be basic enough and therefore the phone you have is likely exactly what you need, not the one you want but don't need.

Edit : Figures I'd say specifics in my post

.. then you are right after lol.

Besides tuning PUBG with PubG tools and trial and error finding sweet spot performance, I know it can be done, but don't know how beneficial it is on other phones not my own..

I got 40-50fps at the start but... (20-40fps sustained over time) at 900p medium low mixtures on a Aging Snapdragon 810 Warm/Hot Nexus 6P. (A year or so ago)

Yes that is what I am talking about... why it has drops when the J6+ Hasn't?

Edit: So why phone CPUs become outdated after only 2 years? PC CPUs become outdated after 5~9 Years...

Edited by InfinityVive
2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Nope, I haven't regretted buying my phone even for one day. Not one. Why? Well, maybe because I actually researched first what I was buying!

Yep. For me, My phone is Media playback first and everything else is secondary (and older tablets are still too slow in other areas because I also use it as a daily device)

I had a Nexus 6P (SD810) and 1440p YouTube clarity over 1080p I absolutely wanted going forward..

Stereo speakers also spoiled me a bit.

But it died.

Huawei Mate 9 was 1080p but had Bluetooth stereo earpieces and did the job at hand..

But I missed using 1440p. However it was a blazing fast phone, huge battery and quite bright, also a split Left earpiece sound output gave a suedo stereo effect.

Didn't need to replace it, covered my uses.

But I wanted it replaced with the potential Huawei fiasco playing out...

Sold my $400 purchase for $380

Bought S8+ for $400 (AUD PRICING)

Single speaker tho.. (but have headphones)

Better GPU, CPU for Games, snappy as for Daily driving.

Was quite happy, 6 months in..

Saw a bargain tho...

Sold for $400 and got a Note 9 for a once in lifetime price (at the time) of $500 AUD.

Bought that.

If the note9 wasn't available at that price I'd still be on the S8+ likely. But the Note9 feature set seemed worth it to me, and I'm finding it a much Better daily just from its flagship speeds.

But I really DON'T NEED it. The Mate 9 and S8+ were great phones, pricing and good deals are what essentially made me jump ship when I did each time.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

27 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

I know this Question is stupid but why everyone that buys smartphones always regrets it? I mean the people who bought sasmung S9 go like: Damn... I should havewaited to buy the samsung s10 the same price as S9... And here is another example... I Bought Samsung J7 Pro in 2018 for 270$ Then a year later the Sasmung A50 which has 40% better hardware than the J7 Pro was released for 260$ So then I went like: Damn I should have waited... So why are all Samsung and HTC etc... phones are always a very regretted buy afterwards? Also are there any phones that you can buy and not regretting that you bought it a year later...

It doesn't happen if you:

• Buy out of necessity
  • Took an objective approach to selecting what to buy
  • Aren't the type who keeps looking to spend all the time
  • Buy because you let yourself get told what to want and buy (weak willed)
  • Didn't buy on a whim to end up not using the device
  • Didn't buy something that didn't fit your needs and usage pattern
  • Didn't buy something that has a pathetic small battery

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

or if you're like me you just live 2 generations behind every release cycle. If you do this, you can get 90% of the newest models performance at 30% of the price.

11 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

Yes that is what I am talking about... why it has drops when the J6+ Hasn't?

Edit: So why phone CPUs become outdated after only 2 years? PC CPUs become outdated after 5~9 Years...

Actually, Pcs did the exact same thing year after year back in the day when no one had multiple cores and we were chasing frequency.

Every few months to a year in some cases,..a new CPU made you obsolete.

As far as PUBG performance goes..

The GPUs used in those phones isn't for Gaming WHATSOEVER. I just googled the Adreno 308 and MALI MP1 in those phones.

Spend for Better Specs if you plan on Gaming daily, they are everyday phones with GPU acceleration for Media tasks.

But not for "Gaming aka BattleRoyale" games.

2 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Actually, Pcs did the exact same thing year after year back in the day when no one had multiple cores and we were chasing frequency.

Every few months to a year in some cases,..a new CPU made you obsolete.

These days it's the opposite. There are still people out there holding strong to their i7-2600Ks.

2 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

These days it's the opposite. There are still people out there holding strong to their i7-2600Ks.

4790K myself.

Just clocked it up to 4.7Ghz, and my GTX1070 is sweetspotted in 95% of games.

But its all about researching needs, checks and balances :)

9 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

4790K myself.

Just clocked it up to 4.7Ghz, and my GTX1070 is sweetspotted in 95% of games.

But its all about researching needs, checks and balances :)

Ye I can't overclock my i5 4590 which sucks... But I am also in the sweetspot but at the edges of it...

People usually feel regret about purchases they don't need (or bad purchases in general). 

If phone does what you need and you still feel regret about buying it, you didn't need it in the first place.

EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Current build:

Meshify C

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse

Intel SSD 660p 1TB 

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w

Depends on what you had. If you were using a crappy phone that was really disappointing you and you bought a new phone that greatly improved you life, no need to regret if another new better phone is released after a few months. Though the "few months" may vary from person to person. I would still regret in 1 or 2 months, but maybe not after 3 months. Though I am still using a crappy phone and have been waiting for a great deal for almost half an year...

On 8/14/2019 at 2:33 PM, InfinityVive said:

Ye I can't overclock my i5 4590 which sucks... But I am also in the sweetspot but at the edges of it...

Offtopic Reply everyone else...

I've personally used a 4690 nonk and its Singlecore IPC is strong due to those very nice clockspeeds, with MCE enabled on some boards,.. 3.9Ghz locked, and with BCLK OC..

On topic. My Phones "IPC" over time.

Singlecore tests (however likely they are not accurate)

(Geekbench Singlecore) Warm to Cold

Huawei Mate 9 - 1885-1901

Galaxy S8+ - 1990-2006

Note 9 - 3750-3785

And Most apps feel pretty similar but you'd also see and feel the Note9 speeds a fraction come into play, only feeling major differences in Gaming or Heavy Loads.