Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yrypGzhq

I want to install a graphics card in my laptop as an eGPU using the EXP GDC Beast Dock, what do I need to know to do this?

Posted · Original PosterOP
47 minutes ago, BleachedFur said:

The GT 1030 runs in PCIe x4. This will run the card at PCIE x1, but that is a hard limit that cannot be changed. Aside from that, I'm using a GT 640 in a Dell Precision M4300 (Latitude D830), so it shouldn't be any different on yours.

So what you're saying is the card is PCIe x4, but the actual adapter is PCIe x1? How much bottleneck would there be total? 

Just now, yrypGzhq said:

How much bottleneck would there be total? 

Just on the link itself, it would not be noticeable by the user. For your CPU, the GT 1030 is a perfect match.

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

Just now, yrypGzhq said:

but the actual adapter is PCIe x1?

No, the connector on your motherboard is x1. The adapter just changes the physical slot shape.

Posted · Original PosterOP
50 minutes ago, BleachedFur said:

Just on the link itself, it would not be noticeable by the user. For your CPU, the GT 1030 is a perfect match.

I see. So to put this all together, the GT 1030 is mildly weaker than the 750, but has way less power consumption. And with the GT 1030, a power supply is not at all needed. The port on my laptop is a mini PCI-E x1 slot, but the black port on the adapter is a PCI-E x1. Using the EXP GDC, that has a PCI-E x16 instead of an x1 like on the adapter. But this does not make a difference when using the EXP GDC or the adapter because it's still passing it through an x1 which the slot on my laptop. Am I missing anything here? Is that all right?

11 hours ago, yrypGzhq said:

I see. So to put this all together, the GT 1030 is mildly weaker than the 750, but has way less power consumption. And with the GT 1030, a power supply is not at all needed. The port on my laptop is a mini PCI-E x1 slot, but the black port on the adapter is a PCI-E x1. Using the EXP GDC, that has a PCI-E x16 instead of an x1 like on the adapter. But this does not make a difference when using the EXP GDC or the adapter because it's still passing it through an x1 which the slot on my laptop. Am I missing anything here? Is that all right?

Yeah, seems like you're grasping all the info pretty well. The EXP-GDC is better for more powerful cards like the GTX 960 or whatever, that physically weighs more too. But for a small, low power, physically unimpressive card, that small adapter I mentioned should work just fine.

In the event that you do need additional power the adapter has a connector for a floppy drive power connector.