Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yrypGzhq

I want to install a graphics card in my laptop as an eGPU using the EXP GDC Beast Dock, what do I need to know to do this?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I plan on installing a graphics card in my laptop using the EXP GDC Beast, but what do I need to know first in order to do this? How do I know which graphics card my CPU will support without it being bottlenecked, and what else could potentially be bottlenecking it? I have no experience within this, so I would appreciate any sort of aid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, yrypGzhq said:

I plan on installing a graphics card in my laptop using the EXP GDC Beast, but what do I need to know first in order to do this? How do I know which graphics card my CPU will support without it being bottlenecked, and what else could potentially be bottlenecking it? I have no experience within this, so I would appreciate any sort of aid.

What laptop do you have and if possible post a specs list, either through piriform speccy or even just what right clicking "properties" on my computer tells you

And what interface? mini pcie or expresscard or what?


IBM Thinkpad Z61t

The 10 commandments of the modern tech support forum:

-Do not use the "home" edition of any OS and then complain you cant do something OS related.

-Do not update Windows 10 if it functions normally at the time.

-For the love of god dont update Nvidia drivers beyond 10 versions past release, if it doesnt work normally by then its just screwed. If you keep going its going to eventually perform worse than it did before.

-Always update AMD drivers as for some reason they are the polar opposite and cant get their drivers to work on release but they work great 5 years later.

-Do not download any Antivirus software, Windows Defender is adequate at keeping you from being stupid, other than that you only need Common Sense 2006 edition.

-Google your problems first, the helpful people on tech support forums are just people who know how to use google.

-Dont discuss irrelevancies on tech support forums, an answer to OP's question must be the first line of your first reply to a thread, follow it with whatever.

-Dont use any software that claims to fix registry errors.

-There are more brands out there than Corsair and EVGA, at least try and be original.

-Read your own posts before you post them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

What laptop do you have and if possible post a specs list, either through piriform speccy or even just what right clicking "properties" on my computer tells you

And what interface? mini pcie or expresscard or what?

I have a mini PCI-E right under the keyboard, so I plan on using the PCI-E cable if I do end up installing the GDC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yrypGzhq said:

I have a mini PCI-E right under the keyboard, so I plan on using the PCI-E cable if I do end up installing the GDC.

Well this is the simplest straight to the point guide on this kind of thing:

https://forums.tomsguide.com/faq/how-to-instal-and-setup-an-exp-gdc-beast-extrenal-graphics-card-dock-on-your-laptop.188427/

If you know what cpu you have i can recommend a gpu that will work well for this over pcie x1


IBM Thinkpad Z61t

The 10 commandments of the modern tech support forum:

-Do not use the "home" edition of any OS and then complain you cant do something OS related.

-Do not update Windows 10 if it functions normally at the time.

-For the love of god dont update Nvidia drivers beyond 10 versions past release, if it doesnt work normally by then its just screwed. If you keep going its going to eventually perform worse than it did before.

-Always update AMD drivers as for some reason they are the polar opposite and cant get their drivers to work on release but they work great 5 years later.

-Do not download any Antivirus software, Windows Defender is adequate at keeping you from being stupid, other than that you only need Common Sense 2006 edition.

-Google your problems first, the helpful people on tech support forums are just people who know how to use google.

-Dont discuss irrelevancies on tech support forums, an answer to OP's question must be the first line of your first reply to a thread, follow it with whatever.

-Dont use any software that claims to fix registry errors.

-There are more brands out there than Corsair and EVGA, at least try and be original.

-Read your own posts before you post them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, yrypGzhq said:

I have an AMD A8-5545M APU, 1.70GHz.

If you are using an HP laptop it will not work. HP has whitelists for mini-pcie cards.


Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, yrypGzhq said:

I have an AMD A8-5545M APU, 1.70GHz.

Thats gonna be an issue.

APUs tend to be difficult to disable, you might run into trouble with gpu priority in some games. Some games are going to try and force run on the integrated graphics, some will run on the dgpu fine.

 

Other issue, that is a very weak processor from a CPU performance standpoint.

Youre close to a desktop Athlon 5350 or Core2quad Q6600

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-A8-5545M-APU-vs-Intel-Core2-Quad-Q6600-vs-AMD-Athlon-5350-APU/1971vs1038vs2195

 

Use those as a cpu baseline for looking up what games perform on that processor. Things like CS:GO and Minecraft wont have any problems, more demanding titles will likely stutter heavily or may not run at all.

GPU wise any older midranged option will do. GTX 750 or 750ti, R7 260 or 260x, 650ti, 560ti, etc

Note that with gpus at over 75w of power draw the board power adapter is not enough and you will need a power supply for pcie 6 or 8 pin connectors.

 

Id suggest a GTX 750. Theyre cheap used, pair well with the above mentioned processor performance tier and would be a massive step up from the apu.

 

You wont get the full performance of the card on PCIe x1, but itll still be pretty good.

 


IBM Thinkpad Z61t

The 10 commandments of the modern tech support forum:

-Do not use the "home" edition of any OS and then complain you cant do something OS related.

-Do not update Windows 10 if it functions normally at the time.

-For the love of god dont update Nvidia drivers beyond 10 versions past release, if it doesnt work normally by then its just screwed. If you keep going its going to eventually perform worse than it did before.

-Always update AMD drivers as for some reason they are the polar opposite and cant get their drivers to work on release but they work great 5 years later.

-Do not download any Antivirus software, Windows Defender is adequate at keeping you from being stupid, other than that you only need Common Sense 2006 edition.

-Google your problems first, the helpful people on tech support forums are just people who know how to use google.

-Dont discuss irrelevancies on tech support forums, an answer to OP's question must be the first line of your first reply to a thread, follow it with whatever.

-Dont use any software that claims to fix registry errors.

-There are more brands out there than Corsair and EVGA, at least try and be original.

-Read your own posts before you post them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, BleachedFur said:

If you are using an HP laptop it will not work. HP has whitelists for mini-pcie cards.

Nope, it's a Dell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
17 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

Other issue, that is a very weak processor from a CPU performance standpoint.

Youre close to a desktop Athlon 5350 or Core2quad Q6600

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-A8-5545M-APU-vs-Intel-Core2-Quad-Q6600-vs-AMD-Athlon-5350-APU/1971vs1038vs2195

I'm aware it's a weak processor, that's why I'm still very limited to the games I can run.

 

17 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

Use those as a cpu baseline for looking up what games perform on that processor. Things like CS:GO and Minecraft wont have any problems, more demanding titles will likely stutter heavily or may not run at all.

GPU wise any older midranged option will do. GTX 750 or 750ti, R7 260 or 260x, 650ti, 560ti, etc

 

 

Id suggest a GTX 750. Theyre cheap used, pair well with the above mentioned processor performance tier and would be a massive step up from the apu.

 

So something along a 750 will do? To be honest, I really don't plan on running anything intense, so this might actually be fine for the time being.

 

19 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

Note that with gpus at over 75w of power draw the board power adapter is not enough and you will need a power supply for pcie 6 or 8 pin connectors.

 

So I have to get a power supply for this? Any sort of tips on this? I'm really bad at power supplies, I don't understand much about them. Any recommendations on which power supplies would be good for this setup?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yrypGzhq said:

So something along a 750 will do? To be honest, I really don't plan on running anything intense, so this might actually be fine for the time being.

So I have to get a power supply for this? Any sort of tips on this? I'm really bad at power supplies, I don't understand much about them. Any recommendations on which power supplies would be good for this setup?

The 750 or equivalent, the 750 is common to find online.

The 750ti would work just the same and is also pretty common to find.

 

As for a PSU, the brick should involve a power brick like for a laptop.

So if it doesnt come with one, you can try and find a 120w laptop power adapter or something and that will do the job.

You could also use an ATX computer power supply with a pcie 8 pin power connector to power the board. Some of the listings im seeing for the dock have a little adapter for a pcie power input and a 24 pin to jump the PSU to start.

Or if you went with a higher power consumption card like a 560ti (that would perform about the same as a 750ti) then you would need two 6 pins anyway, so you would need an atx psu.

 

So tl;dr, if under 75w like a GTX 750, use any 100w+ laptop power brick.

If over 75w, use an atx psu.

 

If you decide on a higher wattage card and need an atx psu, there is a PSU tier list in the cases and power supply section of the forum.

Though really any name brand psu with the required connectors will do. Even a cheap one like a corsair vs450 would be fine powering most gpus by themselves.

 


IBM Thinkpad Z61t

The 10 commandments of the modern tech support forum:

-Do not use the "home" edition of any OS and then complain you cant do something OS related.

-Do not update Windows 10 if it functions normally at the time.

-For the love of god dont update Nvidia drivers beyond 10 versions past release, if it doesnt work normally by then its just screwed. If you keep going its going to eventually perform worse than it did before.

-Always update AMD drivers as for some reason they are the polar opposite and cant get their drivers to work on release but they work great 5 years later.

-Do not download any Antivirus software, Windows Defender is adequate at keeping you from being stupid, other than that you only need Common Sense 2006 edition.

-Google your problems first, the helpful people on tech support forums are just people who know how to use google.

-Dont discuss irrelevancies on tech support forums, an answer to OP's question must be the first line of your first reply to a thread, follow it with whatever.

-Dont use any software that claims to fix registry errors.

-There are more brands out there than Corsair and EVGA, at least try and be original.

-Read your own posts before you post them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Genwyn said:

The 750 or equivalent, the 750 is common to find online.

The 750ti would work just the same and is also pretty common to find.

 

As for a PSU, the brick should involve a power brick like for a laptop.

So if it doesnt come with one, you can try and find a 120w laptop power adapter or something and that will do the job.

You could also use an ATX computer power supply with a pcie 8 pin power connector to power the board. Some of the listings im seeing for the dock have a little adapter for a pcie power input and a 24 pin to jump the PSU to start.

Or if you went with a higher power consumption card like a 560ti (that would perform about the same as a 750ti) then you would need two 6 pins anyway, so you would need an atx psu.

 

So tl;dr, if under 75w like a GTX 750, use any 100w+ laptop power brick.

If over 75w, use an atx psu.

 

If you decide on a higher wattage card and need an atx psu, there is a PSU tier list in the cases and power supply section of the forum.

Though really any name brand psu with the required connectors will do. Even a cheap one like a corsair vs450 would be fine powering most gpus by themselves.

 

I just don't wanna get something that's overkill, or even something that won't work at all. As long as it's something that works and works well, and that I have no problems with.

 

Also, now that I think about it, should I really bother with something like a 750? If I'm not gonna get the full performance out of it, should I just get something that I could get the maximum performance out of instead? And by the way, I heard that using an external monitor for your laptop when using the GDC dock is almost mandatory in some cases, but I have no idea if any of this is true. Do I have to use an external monitor? Would that provide any benefits?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yrypGzhq said:

I just don't wanna get something that's overkill, or even something that won't work at all. As long as it's something that works and works well, and that I have no problems with.

 

Also, now that I think about it, should I really bother with something like a 750? If I'm not gonna get the full performance out of it, should I just get something that I could get the maximum performance out of instead? And by the way, I heard that using an external monitor for your laptop when using the GDC dock is almost mandatory in some cases, but I have no idea if any of this is true. Do I have to use an external monitor? Would that provide any benefits?

You wont really get maximum performance out of anything, pcie x1 is really limiting to even the weakest of cards.

A 750 through x1 will get you around GT 730/740 performance in the end. Which is adequate for a lot of stuff. But starting with a GT 730 is gonna limit that card down to lower performance and so on and so forth.

 

As far as an external monitor, a lot of laptops wont support running the video signal back through, it can be a pain to setup, and it can impact performance even further. Using an external monitor is optimal.

Thunderbolt 3 eGPU its a lot easier since thunderbolt is much more forgiving with the amount of data it can transfer (works at pcie x4 speed) and thunderbolt controllers in the chipset support video input ezpz.

 

Thats why i recommend a GTX 750, you wont get that performance, but if you get a lower end card you wont get the performance of that card anyway.

And as you go lower end the price margins get real small, a GTX 750 is about 40$ USD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173981865854

While GT 730's are about 30$

A 560ti will perform better than the 750 ever so slightly and theyre about 35$, however you then need to factor in the cost of an ATX psu, because while most 750's are pcie power only, 560ti's need dual 6 pins.

(there are some 750's and 750ti's that need a single six pin, because they are 80-90w cards, in this scenario an adapter from the board to the 6 pin input on the card is fine on a 120w+ laptop power adapter)

 


IBM Thinkpad Z61t

The 10 commandments of the modern tech support forum:

-Do not use the "home" edition of any OS and then complain you cant do something OS related.

-Do not update Windows 10 if it functions normally at the time.

-For the love of god dont update Nvidia drivers beyond 10 versions past release, if it doesnt work normally by then its just screwed. If you keep going its going to eventually perform worse than it did before.

-Always update AMD drivers as for some reason they are the polar opposite and cant get their drivers to work on release but they work great 5 years later.

-Do not download any Antivirus software, Windows Defender is adequate at keeping you from being stupid, other than that you only need Common Sense 2006 edition.

-Google your problems first, the helpful people on tech support forums are just people who know how to use google.

-Dont discuss irrelevancies on tech support forums, an answer to OP's question must be the first line of your first reply to a thread, follow it with whatever.

-Dont use any software that claims to fix registry errors.

-There are more brands out there than Corsair and EVGA, at least try and be original.

-Read your own posts before you post them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 hours ago, Genwyn said:

You wont really get maximum performance out of anything, pcie x1 is really limiting to even the weakest of cards.

A 750 through x1 will get you around GT 730/740 performance in the end. Which is adequate for a lot of stuff. But starting with a GT 730 is gonna limit that card down to lower performance and so on and so forth.

 

Thats why i recommend a GTX 750, you wont get that performance, but if you get a lower end card you wont get the performance of that card anyway.

And as you go lower end the price margins get real small, a GTX 750 is about 40$ USD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173981865854

While GT 730's are about 3

 

Do you know what's a way to minimize the amount of bottlenecking from all this and attempt to get the maximum performance I can? And if I do get a 750, an ATX PSU is mandatory?

 

Is there a difference between the versions of the EXP GDC Beast? For example, there seems to be a V9 and a V8, and other versions as well. Do you know what any of these versions mean?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yrypGzhq said:

Do you know what's a way to minimize the amount of bottlenecking from all this and attempt to get the maximum performance I can? And if I do get a 750, an ATX PSU is mandatory?

 

Is there a difference between the versions of the EXP GDC Beast? For example, there seems to be a V9 and a V8, and other versions as well. Do you know what any of these versions mean?

There really isn't any way to, the mini pcie connector is pcie x1, it will bottleneck any card you put in it. 

If you get a 750 or any other card that only requires pcie slot power you don't need an atx power supply, just a laptop power adapter will do.

The pcie slot can provide 75w of power, if a card needs more than that it will have extra power inputs on it and will require the wattage from an atx psu. 

As an example, the above mention GTX 750 has just pcie power required. 

But an R9 280x would require two 8 pins.

A 75w card vs a 300w card.

 

The other versions just seem to be changes made to the ports and materials.

The V8 and V9 seem to have the laptop DC power input but some V7 ones also have that.


IBM Thinkpad Z61t

The 10 commandments of the modern tech support forum:

-Do not use the "home" edition of any OS and then complain you cant do something OS related.

-Do not update Windows 10 if it functions normally at the time.

-For the love of god dont update Nvidia drivers beyond 10 versions past release, if it doesnt work normally by then its just screwed. If you keep going its going to eventually perform worse than it did before.

-Always update AMD drivers as for some reason they are the polar opposite and cant get their drivers to work on release but they work great 5 years later.

-Do not download any Antivirus software, Windows Defender is adequate at keeping you from being stupid, other than that you only need Common Sense 2006 edition.

-Google your problems first, the helpful people on tech support forums are just people who know how to use google.

-Dont discuss irrelevancies on tech support forums, an answer to OP's question must be the first line of your first reply to a thread, follow it with whatever.

-Dont use any software that claims to fix registry errors.

-There are more brands out there than Corsair and EVGA, at least try and be original.

-Read your own posts before you post them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
40 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

If you get a 750 or any other card that only requires pcie slot power you don't need an atx power supply, just a laptop power adapter will do.

The pcie slot can provide 75w of power, if a card needs more than that it will have extra power inputs on it and will require the wattage from an atx psu. 

As an example, the above mention GTX 750 has just pcie power required. 

But an R9 280x would require two 8 pins.

A 75w card vs a 300w card.

Any laptop power supply? Or a specific one? I hope I don't have to resort to a power supply, because that's a whole other I have to worry about, in terms of making sure it's the right one, it works, and all that. You know what I mean.

 

And apart from the mini PCI-E slot, will the CPU be bottlenecking the card? I want to get a card that's not too overkill, but works. It's going to be bottlenecked in this situation no matter what, but I want to get a card where I can use as much performance out of it as I can based on the CPU I have and my overall laptop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yrypGzhq said:

Any laptop power supply? Or a specific one? I hope I don't have to resort to a power supply, because that's a whole other I have to worry about, in terms of making sure it's the right one, it works, and all that. You know what I mean.

 

And apart from the mini PCI-E slot, will the CPU be bottlenecking the card? I want to get a card that's not too overkill, but works. It's going to be bottlenecked in this situation no matter what, but I want to get a card where I can use as much performance out of it as I can based on the CPU I have and my overall laptop.

As long as it's a 120w power brick or better. You don't want to get too close to the max power output of any power supply.

I can't find specifications on the specific size of the power jack, worse case scenario you may need one of those universal laptop power adapter adapter kits that have all the difference barrel jack sizes.

 

The CPU will bottleneck the card slightly. The Q6600 or Athlon 5350 are very commonly paired with the midrange GTX 7xx cards. There are hundreds of videos on "Q6600 + 750" benchmarks out there if you want to see how the combination performs. The 750 will have its performance reduced on pcie x1 but it shouldn't make anything too unplayable.

 


IBM Thinkpad Z61t

The 10 commandments of the modern tech support forum:

-Do not use the "home" edition of any OS and then complain you cant do something OS related.

-Do not update Windows 10 if it functions normally at the time.

-For the love of god dont update Nvidia drivers beyond 10 versions past release, if it doesnt work normally by then its just screwed. If you keep going its going to eventually perform worse than it did before.

-Always update AMD drivers as for some reason they are the polar opposite and cant get their drivers to work on release but they work great 5 years later.

-Do not download any Antivirus software, Windows Defender is adequate at keeping you from being stupid, other than that you only need Common Sense 2006 edition.

-Google your problems first, the helpful people on tech support forums are just people who know how to use google.

-Dont discuss irrelevancies on tech support forums, an answer to OP's question must be the first line of your first reply to a thread, follow it with whatever.

-Dont use any software that claims to fix registry errors.

-There are more brands out there than Corsair and EVGA, at least try and be original.

-Read your own posts before you post them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Genwyn said:

The CPU will bottleneck the card slightly. The Q6600 or Athlon 5350 are very commonly paired with the midrange GTX 7xx cards. There are hundreds of videos on "Q6600 + 750" benchmarks out there if you want to see how the combination performs. The 750 will have its performance reduced on pcie x1 but it shouldn't make anything too unplayable.

 

With all the bottlenecking, what should the 750 run like?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, yrypGzhq said:

With all the bottlenecking, what should the 750 run like?

Expect it to match GT 740 performance through the pcie x1 slot and then be slightly bottlenecked by the CPU.

Youre looking at performance kind of like this:

 

Q6600 + GT 740 (the bad DDR3 one too, 750 is GDDR5) getting smooth, stutter free gameplay in GTA V at 720p normal settings.

GTA Online would perform better with the reduced CPU overhead.

 

Expect about the same out of Fallout 4, a similarly performing game. 

 


IBM Thinkpad Z61t

The 10 commandments of the modern tech support forum:

-Do not use the "home" edition of any OS and then complain you cant do something OS related.

-Do not update Windows 10 if it functions normally at the time.

-For the love of god dont update Nvidia drivers beyond 10 versions past release, if it doesnt work normally by then its just screwed. If you keep going its going to eventually perform worse than it did before.

-Always update AMD drivers as for some reason they are the polar opposite and cant get their drivers to work on release but they work great 5 years later.

-Do not download any Antivirus software, Windows Defender is adequate at keeping you from being stupid, other than that you only need Common Sense 2006 edition.

-Google your problems first, the helpful people on tech support forums are just people who know how to use google.

-Dont discuss irrelevancies on tech support forums, an answer to OP's question must be the first line of your first reply to a thread, follow it with whatever.

-Dont use any software that claims to fix registry errors.

-There are more brands out there than Corsair and EVGA, at least try and be original.

-Read your own posts before you post them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

Expect it to match GT 740 performance through the pcie x1 slot and then be slightly bottlenecked by the CPU.

Youre looking at performance kind of like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwDq1lOCzRo

 

Q6600 + GT 740 (the bad DDR3 one too, 750 is GDDR5) getting smooth, stutter free gameplay in GTA V at 720p normal settings.

GTA Online would perform better with the reduced CPU overhead.

 

Expect about the same out of Fallout 4, a similarly performing game. 

 

Let's say I decided to use a card that the CPU can handle the most. I obviously can't use a 2080 or something, not that I even would in general. But anyway, is a 750/750 Ti or something equivalent the most I could go? Or would anything further just be a waste of money due to the weak CPU?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, yrypGzhq said:

Let's say I decided to use a card that the CPU can handle the most. I obviously can't use a 2080 or something, not that I even would in general. But anyway, is a 750/750 Ti or something equivalent the most I could go? Or would anything further just be a waste of money due to the weak CPU?

Pretty much, even the 750ti is bottlenecked slightly by the Q6600 and it's equivalents. You could put other higher end old cards like a GTX 770, 960, etc and you wouldn't see much performance difference.

You could egpu with an RTX Titan and still get about the same experience as with a 750ti.


IBM Thinkpad Z61t

The 10 commandments of the modern tech support forum:

-Do not use the "home" edition of any OS and then complain you cant do something OS related.

-Do not update Windows 10 if it functions normally at the time.

-For the love of god dont update Nvidia drivers beyond 10 versions past release, if it doesnt work normally by then its just screwed. If you keep going its going to eventually perform worse than it did before.

-Always update AMD drivers as for some reason they are the polar opposite and cant get their drivers to work on release but they work great 5 years later.

-Do not download any Antivirus software, Windows Defender is adequate at keeping you from being stupid, other than that you only need Common Sense 2006 edition.

-Google your problems first, the helpful people on tech support forums are just people who know how to use google.

-Dont discuss irrelevancies on tech support forums, an answer to OP's question must be the first line of your first reply to a thread, follow it with whatever.

-Dont use any software that claims to fix registry errors.

-There are more brands out there than Corsair and EVGA, at least try and be original.

-Read your own posts before you post them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

Pretty much, even the 750ti is bottlenecked slightly by the Q6600 and it's equivalents. You could put other higher end old cards like a GTX 770, 960, etc and you wouldn't see much performance difference.

You could egpu with an RTX Titan and still get about the same experience as with a 750ti.

Say I get a 750Ti rather than just a 750. Should it still run similarly to a GT 740?

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, yrypGzhq said:

Say I get a 750Ti rather than just a 750. Should it still run similarly to a GT 740?

It'll be closer to a 750, most of the bottleneck is due to the pcie x1 connection rather than the CPU.

 


IBM Thinkpad Z61t

The 10 commandments of the modern tech support forum:

-Do not use the "home" edition of any OS and then complain you cant do something OS related.

-Do not update Windows 10 if it functions normally at the time.

-For the love of god dont update Nvidia drivers beyond 10 versions past release, if it doesnt work normally by then its just screwed. If you keep going its going to eventually perform worse than it did before.

-Always update AMD drivers as for some reason they are the polar opposite and cant get their drivers to work on release but they work great 5 years later.

-Do not download any Antivirus software, Windows Defender is adequate at keeping you from being stupid, other than that you only need Common Sense 2006 edition.

-Google your problems first, the helpful people on tech support forums are just people who know how to use google.

-Dont discuss irrelevancies on tech support forums, an answer to OP's question must be the first line of your first reply to a thread, follow it with whatever.

-Dont use any software that claims to fix registry errors.

-There are more brands out there than Corsair and EVGA, at least try and be original.

-Read your own posts before you post them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, yrypGzhq said:

Nope, it's a Dell.

Dell has been known to whitelist too.

The mini pcie slot in a laptop is literally a pcie bus, just a different physical connector.

 

the CHEAPEST way to do this doesn't need the expensive ass EXP GDC shit.

 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FVPITN8/

 

And, don't get a 750/750ti. They consume WAY too much power for the laptop.

The absolute best way this can turn out with the least bottleneck is with a GT 1030. Gigabyte makes some dirt cheap ones that run cool and quiet.

 

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GeForce-GV-N1030D5-2GL-Computer-Graphics/dp/B071DY2VJR/

 

the GT 1030 natively runs off a PCIe x4 interface, so x1 won't kill your FPS too much.

 

You won't need an external power supply if you use the 1030. The 750/750 Ti will likely drive your laptop's power consumption through the roof and you'd need a better laptop brick. Dell makes them up to 250W, but you should be fine on 95W.


Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
18 hours ago, BleachedFur said:

Dell has been known to whitelist too.

The mini pcie slot in a laptop is literally a pcie bus, just a different physical connector.

 

the CHEAPEST way to do this doesn't need the expensive ass EXP GDC shit.

 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FVPITN8/

So this will work the same way? This won't change the way it works/the graphics card runs?

 

18 hours ago, BleachedFur said:

And, don't get a 750/750ti. They consume WAY too much power for the laptop.

The absolute best way this can turn out with the least bottleneck is with a GT 1030. Gigabyte makes some dirt cheap ones that run cool and quiet.

 

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GeForce-GV-N1030D5-2GL-Computer-Graphics/dp/B071DY2VJR/

 

the GT 1030 natively runs off a PCIe x4 interface, so x1 won't kill your FPS too much.

So this is the highest power graphics card that I can run with my laptop based on my CPU with the least bottlenecking possible?

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, yrypGzhq said:

So this will work the same way? This won't change the way it works/the graphics card runs?

The GT 1030 runs in PCIe x4. This will run the card at PCIE x1, but that is a hard limit that cannot be changed. Aside from that, I'm using a GT 640 in a Dell Precision M4300 (Latitude D830), so it shouldn't be any different on yours.

 

31 minutes ago, yrypGzhq said:

So this is the highest power graphics card that I can run with my laptop based on my CPU with the least bottlenecking possible?

That is the most powerful card in its power consumption class.

 

It's rated for 30W, and is only 4% slower than the GTX 750, which is rated for 55W.


Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×