Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LittleCarrot

SSD to NVME SSD

1 minute ago, LittleCarrot said:

Hello there,

Currently, I have a Samsung 850 EVO and I have a new 970 EVO m.2 nvme. Can I just clone the drives or is there something else I need to do? I plan on using the Samsung Migration Assistant. If any of you have a better solution please let me know I appreciate it.

it depends on the size of the target drive (NVMe SSD)

If the target is smaller than the used storage on the source drive you can't just clone it.
If the target is the same size or larger you should be able to just clone the drive (even if the target is say 256GB and the source is 500GB as long as the used space on the source is less than the available space on the target you should be able to still clone it.)

I use Partition Wizard and haven't had an issue with it.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello there,

Currently, I have a Samsung 850 EVO and I have a new 970 EVO m.2 nvme. Can I just clone the drives or is there something else I need to do? I plan on using the Samsung Migration Assistant. If any of you have a better solution please let me know I appreciate it.

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

Posted · Best Answer
1 minute ago, LittleCarrot said:

Hello there,

it depends on the size of the target drive (NVMe SSD)

If the target is smaller than the used storage on the source drive you can't just clone it.
If the target is the same size or larger you should be able to just clone the drive (even if the target is say 256GB and the source is 500GB as long as the used space on the source is less than the available space on the target you should be able to still clone it.)

I use Partition Wizard and haven't had an issue with it.

Current:
Custom SFF AMD Sleeper:
- CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 3.8Ghz all cores

- GPU: Reference RX Vega 64
- RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) @ 3200Mhz
- Storage: 256GB Samsung PM951 NVMe SSD, 2TB WD Black
- Displays: Asus VG248QE 1080p @144hz, 2x Dell SE2417HGR 1080p @60Hz

Dell Precision M6700:

- CPU: i7-3720qm @ 3.8Ghz all cores
- dGPU: K3000M "Gigahertz Edition" 1006Mhz Core, 2004Mhz MEM

- eGPU: MSI Armour RX 480 4GB
- RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) HyperX Impact @ 1600Mhz
- Storage: 256GB mSATA w/ 2x750GB HDDs in RAID 0
- Display: Samsung LTN173HT02 120Hz 1080p internal display With 120Hz Input Mod!
Old:
- Inspiron 7559 w/ i5 6300hq and 4GB 960M (SOLD)

Posted · Original PosterOP

Okay yea Im going from a 250 to a 500. Is NVME that much faster?

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

Yep! NVMe devices are more focused on someone who needs to do a lot of heavy workloads, such as video rendering or Photoshop or constant data writing, and not everyone does it. Some of us just get desperate with everything and we want everything to open as soon as possible and just for that, we use NVMe devices... 😅😄

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

3 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

Yep! NVMe devices are more focused on someone who needs to do a lot of heavy workloads, such as video rendering or Photoshop or constant data writing, and not everyone does it. Some of us just get desperate with everything and we want everything to open as soon as possible and just for that, we use NVMe devices... 😅😄

Not really, NVMe is mainstream now. At the 1TB capacity point, there's only one single SSD that's cheaper than the Intel 660p (NVMe) right now, and it's a pretty crummy one.

12 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

I got best of both.

I got the 4TB Samsung 860 SSD and 2x 1TB NVMe Evo Plus so I can move files between them with ease.

Main PC:

CPU: Octa Core - i9 9900K 5.3 Ghz 1.37V (All cores) (Cinebench R15: Single 231, Multi: 2294)

Motherboard: Z390 Gigabyte AORUS MASTER.

RAM: 64GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Red LED 4 x 16GB, 3200Mhz rated, runs at 3200Mhz with reduced timings CL14, 16, 16, 16, 34 - Samsung B-Die.

GPU: Water cooled RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition SLI (+170 Core) (+930 memory) (2145 boost clock on both) with EKWB Vector blocks on each.

Case: ThermalTake X9.

Storage: 2x Samsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe (3500MB/S Read, 3300MB/S Write), 2x Samsung EVO 860 500GB SSD, 1x Samsung EVO 860 4TB SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda.

PSU: Corsair HX1200i Platinum 80+ PSU.

Display: 3x Ultrawide Acer Predator X34P 34" Inch G-Sync 120Hz displays IPS with Nvidia surround running at 10320 x 1440 120Hz.

Cooling: Custom Loop EKWB CoolStream 480mm 60mm height 3 x radiators with D5 Revo RGB PUMP, 8x Corsair 120mm HD120 RGB Fans and 4x Noctua 3000 RPM 120mm fans, 200mm ThermalTake 800RPM fan (front), Noctua 3000 RPM 140mm fan (rear).

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 LUX Blue MX Switches.

Sound: T6300 Creative 5.1 speakers with Corsair VOID PRO 7.1 Surround Gaming Headset - Yellow.

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum.

Piano: Yamaha P155.

Phone: Razer Phone 2.

Smart watch: Moto 360 2nd Gen.

Camera: Logitech C922.

3D Printer: Creality Ender 3 Pro.

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

Not really, NVMe is mainstream now. At the 1TB capacity point, there's only one single SSD that's cheaper than the Intel 660p (NVMe) right now, and it's a pretty crummy one.

The intel 660p 1tb NVMe is only $95 in the US right now which is crazy considering what the prices used to be.

Main Desktop: Cpu - I7-8700k @5ghz | Mobo - Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E | Gpu - Evga GTX 1080ti FTW3 Ram - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000mhz | Aio - H100i Pro RGB | Psu - Evga 850 GQ | Case - Fractal Design Meshify C White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 1x 1TB 1x 512GB / 1x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 4TB HDD |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10+ - Ceramic White 512GB |

If you ask for a Mid Tower case recommend, I will 90% of the time recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C or S2.

On 8/13/2019 at 10:18 PM, LittleCarrot said:

Is NVME that much faster?

And do you ask boar if he's shitting in the forest ? 😜

xxx