Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SHiFT

GPU Artifacting - certain applications crash. Need some help!

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, SHiFT said:

There is none - the blue one is some limited edition cooler paint job. Who knows what it's celebrating.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

There is none - the blue one is some limited edition cooler paint job. Who knows what it's celebrating.

Haha, okay. £200 for that card, free games with it.. 8GB as well at 1560Mhz core clock - seems really good to me for 1080p. This might even last me another 3 years at running games at 1080p on ultra settings.. really tempting. Just everyone is bashing AMD for their drivers.. but NVIDIA is a little too expensive for me rn.


I'm streaming every day, many AAA games, to entertain people and to get a hang of games that others are unable to play or want to see before they buy. 

Check my profile for my ultimate rig! http://linustechtips.com/main/user/109708-shift/

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, SHiFT said:

Haha, okay. £200 for that card, free games with it.. 8GB as well at 1560Mhz core clock - seems really good to me for 1080p. This might even last me another 3 years at running games at 1080p on ultra settings.. really tempting. Just everyone is bashing AMD for their drivers.. but NVIDIA is a little too expensive for me rn.

As an Nvidia users - I have plenty of driver issues myself sooo, trust me, drivers are super buggy on both sides.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

As an Nvidia users - I have plenty of driver issues myself sooo, trust me, drivers are super buggy on both sides.

Nvidia's Shadowplay is far superior to AMD's Relive (doesn't let you set some hotkeys and such and is buggy), but on the driver front they're pretty equal. I'd give AMD the edge due to them including wattman so you don't need Afterburner or something for overclocking. Their UI is much better than the old Nvidia control panel look, and you don't need an account to check for drivers from the utility (you do for Nvidia's GeForce Experience because... reasons or something). 


X58 Madlads: General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion     X99 bois: General X99 Xeon/i7 Discussion 

 

Current Rig: 

i7 5820K on a Heatkiller IV Pro Acetal
EVGA X99 Classified
32GB (4x8) 3200Mhz CL16 HyperX Predator DDR4
Radeon VII on an EK Acetal block and black EK backplate 
250GB 960 Evo, 1TB 970 Evo
Corsair RM1000i

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG, Grey
EK D5 pump/res combo, EK-ZMT tubing, EK stubby barb fittings, 360 and 120mm GTS stealth rads, 4x Noctua iPPC NF-F12s

 

Old Star Wars Games:  Anyone still playing old Star Wars games? 

 

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, LGA1366 Xeons, and X chipsets: @WhisperingKnickers.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Nvidia's Shadowplay is far superior to AMD's Relive (doesn't let you set some hotkeys and such and is buggy), but on the driver front they're pretty equal. I'd give AMD the edge due to them including wattman so you don't need Afterburner or something for overclocking. Their UI is much better than the old Nvidia control panel look, and you don't need an account to check for drivers from the utility (you do for Nvidia's GeForce Experience because... reasons or something). 

Funnily enough, I adamantly refuse to install GFE - it's messed up an OS image twice now when updating. It's just....wow. I'm not the only one btw - googling reveals it's not rare for that to happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Nvidia's Shadowplay is far superior to AMD's Relive (doesn't let you set some hotkeys and such and is buggy), but on the driver front they're pretty equal. I'd give AMD the edge due to them including wattman so you don't need Afterburner or something for overclocking. Their UI is much better than the old Nvidia control panel look, and you don't need an account to check for drivers from the utility (you do for Nvidia's GeForce Experience because... reasons or something). 

 

12 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Funnily enough, I adamantly refuse to install GFE - it's messed up an OS image twice now when updating. It's just....wow. I'm not the only one btw - googling reveals it's not rare for that to happen.

Hmm, I see. So the card I showed above might be the one I'll get I guess.  As in, THIS


I'm streaming every day, many AAA games, to entertain people and to get a hang of games that others are unable to play or want to see before they buy. 

Check my profile for my ultimate rig! http://linustechtips.com/main/user/109708-shift/

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 8/14/2019 at 7:04 PM, 5x5 said:

Funnily enough, I adamantly refuse to install GFE - it's messed up an OS image twice now when updating. It's just....wow. I'm not the only one btw - googling reveals it's not rare for that to happen.

After R6 Siege crashes, this is the kind of stuff I see.

 

Can you confirm that this is indeed a GPU issue and it's just.. unusable for gaming?

artifact.png


I'm streaming every day, many AAA games, to entertain people and to get a hang of games that others are unable to play or want to see before they buy. 

Check my profile for my ultimate rig! http://linustechtips.com/main/user/109708-shift/

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, 5x5 said:

It sure looks like it.

Yeah - ordered the card anyways. It's unusable, I can only browse of play games like SW:The Old Republic which isnt GPU heavy at all - more so CPU - and that is all. Has the power and usability of an intergrated Intel HD chip sadly.. sad that it came to this. But - least I upgrade a bit. Also found RAM in my office that I nicked - so 16GB it is :) 


I'm streaming every day, many AAA games, to entertain people and to get a hang of games that others are unable to play or want to see before they buy. 

Check my profile for my ultimate rig! http://linustechtips.com/main/user/109708-shift/

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SHiFT said:

Yeah - ordered the card anyways. It's unusable, I can only browse of play games like SW:The Old Republic which isnt GPU heavy at all - more so CPU - and that is all. Has the power and usability of an intergrated Intel HD chip sadly.. sad that it came to this. But - least I upgrade a bit. Also found RAM in my office that I nicked - so 16GB it is :) 

That's usually how it goes. First it's unstable under high load. Then it becomes fucky under low load. After that even browsing the web becomes impossible and finally all you can do with the card is stare at a BIOS screen. It's an old GPU, though, over 5 years now. It's time has come it seems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, 5x5 said:

That's usually how it goes. First it's unstable under high load. Then it becomes fucky under low load. After that even browsing the web becomes impossible and finally all you can do with the card is stare at a BIOS screen. It's an old GPU, though, over 5 years now. It's time has come it seems.

Yeah man - thanks for your help and time. I was out of the hardware game for long so I'm back to a noob status.

 

I'll just play Hearthstone all weekend :D - I also found a used i7-4790 and a QUADRO card in old office.. so I can shift those and my GPU will be even cheaper haha.


I'm streaming every day, many AAA games, to entertain people and to get a hang of games that others are unable to play or want to see before they buy. 

Check my profile for my ultimate rig! http://linustechtips.com/main/user/109708-shift/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×