It’s not dumb if it works – Acer Helios 700 Review

AlexTheGreatish

You snow flakes just cant see the real advantages of The Acer Helios. Do you guys know how painful hardcore gaming is on a laptop?

Like when I got my first and still only laptop in 2012 and tried to play "Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands" (2010 game really hgh graphich for its era) and it could run it at ultra in 1080p. But only after 2 hours or so on the screen, everything started to slow down for a couple of second and then it just turned off naurally i was so friking scared that I broke my laptop that i had just gotten but when I powered it on it showed me something like "The temperature was 900 something so it went on a shutdown". So I got an idea. That I would just sit on the sofas edge make V SHAPE spreading my leags then put the laptop on my lap and then put a table fan under (the small table fan would stand on the ground and point directly under the laptop cooling its components) thats how i got to play the game for as long as i wanted (i would get 10 hour plus reguler and 16 on holidays) same for "Crysis 3" and then "GTA 5" on mid low graphich in 1080p and then the last "Witcher 3" on very low 1080p but if i played Witcher 3 for more than an hour it would just turn off no matter how I cooled it externally .....

So the main thing i wanted point out is that even though my laptop was powerful it constantly got held back because of its thermal problems (which was caused because of the sacrifices made to make it look better visually). The things i had to do... the burns (not relly but it felt like that) on my lap ......

So in the view of laptop gamers like myself I think that the Acer Halios is a great choise which easily solves the thermal problems. I am pretty sure this laptop would be a loyal gaming companion for 5 to 6 years. Even if it doesn't look that good from the outside it's the insides performance that matters the most for us. So I think Acer halios does a great job for its intended customers.

I felt compelled to give some feedback. While I thought the video was informative, I also believe it lacks a cohesive structure/message and did not feel like a linustechtips video. At the very least, the video contradicts the title.

Generally, videos have transitioned from positive to negative (or negative to positive), with a quickfire round to list some of the less impactful tidbits, and finally ending with who its recommended for.

However, this video opened up as if it was going to be amazing...and then proceeded to play ping pong between praising it and bashing it, sending an overall confusing message (imo). Maybe it's the wording, maybe it's format (going with describing the pros and cons of each component w/ A51 comparisons), I...(to be blunt) did not enjoy the video because I was always waiting for the this works moment, and never got it. I hope this helps, and if not, thanks for reading and considering my feedback.

Acer reliability and quality leaves a lot to be desired - remember these are the guys who bought out Gateway.

I will say this though, the keyboard layout is definitely done right with the isolated inverted T cursor keys and 4 column number pad. So many other 17 inch laptops fail to get it right (cough Clevo cough).

Is it worth $4000? Not with an Acer badge on it. Premium 17" laptops are getting harder and harder to find unless you go super high end (Eurocom) or workstation class like a HP Elitebook. They just don't build them like they use to with issues such as fans failing prematurely, lack of upgradability and in some cases difficult battery replacements.

So...are we just not going to talk about the stormtrooper armor?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

why do reviewers always critisize systems for the bezels? who cares? on a thicc 17" machine it makes no sense to have ultra thin bezels because it will look big anyway. on an ultrabook maybe, but a 17" gaming laptop? seriously who cares?

also, i like bezels in general. i want as much of my fov either filled with display or black bars when i'm using my computer/laptop so that i don't get distracted by things behind my screen. 

She/Her

59 minutes ago, SuSu said:

I felt compelled to give some feedback. While I thought the video was informative, I also believe it lacks a cohesive structure/message and did not feel like a linustechtips video. At the very least, the video contradicts the title.

Generally, videos have transitioned from positive to negative (or negative to positive), with a quickfire round to list some of the less impactful tidbits, and finally ending with who its recommended for.

However, this video opened up as if it was going to be amazing...and then proceeded to play ping pong between praising it and bashing it, sending an overall confusing message (imo). Maybe it's the wording, maybe it's format (going with describing the pros and cons of each component w/ A51 comparisons), I...(to be blunt) did not enjoy the video because I was always waiting for the this works moment, and never got it. I hope this helps, and if not, thanks for reading and considering my feedback.

IMO it is a ping pong product though.

I've been looking for a machine that would lure people in and then annoy the crap out of them. I'll take two.

They should have just designed it so the heatsinks and fans are full height, to the height of the keyboard flush with the screen when closed, the keyboard is slide out away from the screen all the time, and the wrist rest flips out form underneath. Thus you could fit a beefier heatsink or use larger quieter fans.

Or a more radical idea. have massive heatsinks with standard low profile laptop fans on the underside of the heatsink for 'normal use' but have the heatsink exposed when the laptop is open and include 2 quick connect full sized fans for when u want to game or do heavy workloads.

So to describe it using laptop in the vid as an example.

Where the 2 fans can be seen, instead of them you would have  2 big heatsinks (or 1 big long heatsink across the full width) that sit up flush with the screen when closed, have 2 small laptops fans inside the case pulling air down through the heatsink and from other internal air channels, then include 2 quick connect fans that u can attach to the top of those heatsinks during heavy workloads.

The keyboard would be offset down like a normal offset keyboard laptop, and the wrist rest and track pad can flip/pull out from the underside.

The heatsinks would be like a muscle cars supercharger intake sticking out the hood.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Not a too bad idea with the sliding keyboard.

But it would have been nicer to not see such a mechanism, and have the keyboard just a bit lower down as standard. As to give both good speakers, and a constant advantage of the extra air vents. Also, does it have a headphone jack?

I though find it funny that:

Apple slows down the fans if ambient air is colder, ensuring that the device is silent, while keeping the system components burning hot... I do got to say that a Macbook tends to be a rather quiet device, but thermal throttling isn't beneficial in my work.

Acer seems to do the reverse by simply running the fans full tilt regardless, as to make the components as cool as physically possible.... I do got to say that a 56 C GPU under full load does offer some nice overclocking potential, but as a stock configuration, I rather not have it be so incredibly noisy, even if it means that it is incredibly cold...

Is it unreasonable for me to ask for a middle ground?