Really stupid question.

Msuni

I have a really stupid question. Nevertheless, i still would like to know the answer.

Could you have an infinite number of adapters in a row e.g. vga to hdmi then hdmi to vga etc?

Or after having like 100 adapters in a row would the signal eventually get confused about what its supossed to be? Then create a black hole and kill everyone?

See... stupid...

I think what you'd run into is signal degradation. Eventually the power going though the lines would become too weak to keep going and the display would just not pick up the signal anymore.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

I think what you'd run into is signal degradation. Eventually the power going though the lines would become too weak to keep going and the display would just not pick up the signal anymore.

Would this be the same for any adapter, even something completely different? :)

Without repeaters the signal is going to get too weak eventually but it will probably be lost to random noise and interference by then anyway

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, October22nd said:

Would this be the same for any adapter, even something completely different? :)

Theoretically if you were using some adapters in the line that boosted the power you could go on probably indefinitely except for the quality of the signal would probably continue to degrade the further you go so even if the signal reached the monitor it'd probably be picking up all sorts of interference from the environment and you'd have all sorts of glitches on the screen.

EDIT:

This video might entertain you:

Give you an idea of what you'd have to use to have a super long cable run for video out.

22 hours ago, Snifferdog3 said:

I doubt that would work. or if it did the signal would probably be really degraded and poor.... something stupid for linus to try xD

I'd like to see them try it haha

How far can active USB cables REALLY go? Brought to you by Monoprice.

On 8/13/2019 at 9:31 AM, Msuni said:

I have a really stupid question. Nevertheless, i still would like to know the answer.

Could you have an infinite number of adapters in a row e.g. vga to hdmi then hdmi to vga etc?

Or after having like 100 adapters in a row would the signal eventually get confused about what its supossed to be? Then create a black hole and kill everyone?

See... stupid...

No. From an electronics standpoint the resistance would build up and the signal get weaker. Active adapters are basically repeaters, such as DP adapters. HDMI to DVI and DVI to HDMI are just passive. There are however many powered options, which basically do one of two things:

1. They act as a framebuffer, so they basically copy the pixels to a buffer, and then copy the buffer as data (eg over fiber, ethernet, etc) and then take the buffer and then redraw it on the other side. Video duplication also uses this method.

2. They act as a signal copier, this is how HDMI splitters/duplicators work, so your "master" device is still there, but fed a "non-existing" monitor, and the signal is then copied to a second connector, and boosted in the process.

Most adapters are passive (unpowered), so you would only use these if you put one adapter on each side and use a regular DVI cable as the intermediate carrier. At the office, that is how I deal with equipment that doesn't have HDMI ports but has DP, or vice versa. They also tend to fail a lot (red screen of death, green screen of death, colored snow, etc) so they're not reliable.

On 8/13/2019 at 12:31 PM, Msuni said:

See... stupid...

Workplace used to have something called the "Connector Olympics", and I believe the record is like 9 or 10. Usually, you start getting power issues and the signal is just too weak.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

7 hours ago, Genwyn said:

I did this, not 128 but with 30 4gb USB sticks about a decade ago with an Xbox 360. Had the two USB ports on the back with 6 way hubs, each hub had another 6 way hub in one of the slots, and those had another 6 way hub as well.

Leading to  6 total hubs with 5 slots open each. The Xbox only saw up to the first hub or 10 USB sticks, and trying to use more than one at once instantly unmounted them all.

The controller can't handle too many USB devices and definitely can't power them all.

I have done a wifi spider before and it works on a USB 3.0 hub, 8 USB wifi adapters on a hub plugged into a 3.0 port, all 8 work and were able to be used at the same time, but it made the USB hub and port on that PC super toasty

This is because of the power limit. USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 are limited to 500ma, and most do not work if the hub is unpowered. This includes things like multi-card readers which are just an internal USB hub connected to X-many drives.

Powered hubs should work. However, even though you can theoretically hook up 127 devices (that's the addressing) each device counts, AND it divides the bandwidth and power from the upstream device.

So if you had say, 100 USB 2.0 hubs connected to each other, and assuming you had enough wall wart devices for them, and none of them have duplicated ID numbers, it would work. In practice, this is not a tested-for configuration and if it works, there's no guarantee of reliability. This is why manuals for most USB devices that require power say not to use a USB Hub, and most storage devices recommend not to use a HUB. With USB 3.0 this is slightly different and annoying, USB 3.0 hubs can either pass 3.0 or 2.0/1.1 signals, and if the host device doesn't support USB 3.0 and 2.0 over the same connection, strange things happen.

With USB-C this becomes even more complicated since you can theoretically hook up a USB 3.1 Gen 2 hub, or a Thunderbolt 3 hub. With the same connector... to each other.

In practice, you should never have more than one USB Hub (or docking station for that matter), and if you're using them, you shouldn't plug in anything that requires power unless the hub has it's own heavy-brick power supply. 

One problem at the office is that they ordered VisionTek VT4000 docks for some machines, and these docks do not support USB-C PD, hell they don't support powering USB devices at USB 3.0 power levels it seems. (It comes with a small power brick that would belong beside things like bluetooth headset chargers.) 

If you have a computer screen with a USB 2.0 or 3.0 HUB in it already, then you're better off plugging your keyboard+mouse into those if you need to save some USB ports, but beware that they consume power unless the monitor itself is powered off. 

Which comes back to this idea about how many USB devices can you plug in. Well reasonably if we're talking about USB 3.0/3.1 devices you can plug in the entire 127 set, but you'd want to do it by plugging hubs into the MB (so you start with 8 plugged into the base), and then plug 8 Hubs into the first hub on every port, you'd get at least 64 ports to start with only one hub on each. If you chain a second hub, you'd only be able to put 6 more 8-port units on. I should also note that the average USB Hub only has 7 ports, of which any additional ports end up being USB 2.0 speed or are charge-only. 

As far as the computer is concerned, the USB root hub just runs out at 127. If I look at Device Manager right now, I see 3 "USB root hubs" and 3 "generic USB hubs" and one "superspeed USB hub", of which there are in fact 6 devices plugged in, but the K70 Keyboard actually has a USB hub in it, so that explains only one of them. There are no other hubs.

On 8/13/2019 at 5:31 PM, Msuni said:

See... stupid...

You’d get voltage drop after a while, you could use a signal booster after about 20m or so.

of ur talking about just sticking loads of adapters together for memes nah nothing should really happen, if they are changing analog to digital and back though you will get delay.