Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Faisal A

Youtube and discrimination

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Does Youtube ever bother checking for discrimination on their platform ? I have just clicked on a video and scrolled through the comments and must have reported at least 100 comments so far. Can they not implement a simple algorithm to remove hate comments yet they can spend years developing an algorithm that shows you certain videos.

Here are some of the comments :

 

 

image.png.f4e8ae6addc54b558a458289472b3d15.png

 

image.png.05ebd238b5a6b41c015ae426b382800e.png

 

image.png.9e9f469df6542e2e383fc9c78afd0ebd.png

 

Why is nothing being done about hate speech ? They blocked comments with minors in it but never blocked comments on a video that encourages all of this hate speech

 


If you want me to see your reply, please tag me @Faisal A

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

@Levent Freedom of speech is the right to criticise someone without getting arrested by the government. Sure people have a right to criticise about a religion but not saying it in a racist manner like swearing at them in process. Everybody should have a right to believe in whatever they want to believe in without being criticised and radiculed


If you want me to see your reply, please tag me @Faisal A

Link to post
Share on other sites

Youtube is a private entity so they can moderate their platform how they please.


PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME
NotCPUCores Dev | Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX480 8GB OC, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS


 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think this is the right place for a "freedom of speech versus hate speech" argument

Just now, Faisal A said:

@Levent Freedom of speech is the right to criticise someone without getting arrested by the government. Sure people have a right to criticise about a religion but not saying it in a racist manner

Not the place - it's not a simple discussion to have

Link to post
Share on other sites

an algorithm will probably catch a lot of the wrong stuff. like if a mosque wants to have a youtube channel but ironically every one of their videos get taken down for discrimination against muslims

Link to post
Share on other sites

Criticism of religion is important, and is not racist. I would imagine YouTube would filter out these comments in countries where blasphemy is not allowed, but not in secular countries


( ・∀・)・・・--------☆

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

@duncannah But surely they can reword it into a better way ? They way you say something is can completely change the way it is interpreted. Everybody should have a right to believe in whatever they want to believe in without being criticised and ridiculed. If somebody doesnt like a religion, thats fine but then dont go and insult them for their beliefs.


If you want me to see your reply, please tag me @Faisal A

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

@duncannah But surely they can reword it into a better way ? They way you say something is can completely change the way it is interpreted. Everybody should have a right to believe in whatever they want to believe in without being criticised and radiculed

You can't fling shit and complain when people fling shit back - that's the logic I like to use.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

Everybody should have a right to believe in whatever they want to believe in without being criticised and radiculed

I mean, should they have that right? I find it absurd to think ridicule should be outlawed.

 

Is what these people are doing polite or friendly? No, and they're not making themselves useful either. The world would be better off if they didn't bother with this. But should what they're doing be illegal? Hell no!


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Youtube is a private entity so they can moderate their platform how they please.

I agree. Though they really ought to follow the rules they have set out, which the examples in the OP break.

11 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Criticism of religion is important, and is not racist. I would imagine YouTube would filter out these comments in countries where blasphemy is not allowed, but not in secular countries

Saying "fuck <X religion>" is a very shallow criticism though. And some of these posts are definitely bigoted. Doesn't make that much of a difference whether it's bigotry or racism.

 

Youtube's rules about this are the same across all countries AFAIK. They're just really bad at enforcing the rules.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what you get when you reach the comments section on the YouTube app

Spoiler

Screenshot_20190813-191444.jpg.d64ab64d96a4be44656825404a6f9694.jpg

Maybe people are gonna stop when they add that message on the desktop version as well. /s

 

Seriously though, I think YouTube will only care about this when companies start pulling their ads because of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

@spartaman64 Youtube cant filter a swear ?

filtering swear by words is easy, even i can do it.

but for the whole context of the sentence it might be difficult.

you can say "fcuk that's good" or "i can fcuk you up good".

 

just report the comment and see what's happen.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2801939?hl=en

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

Does Youtube ever bother checking for discrimination on their platform ? I have just clicked on a video and scrolled through the comments and must have reported at least 100 comments so far. Can they not implement a simple algorithm to remove hate comments yet they can spend years developing an algorithm that shows you certain videos.

Here are some of the comments :

 

 

image.png.f4e8ae6addc54b558a458289472b3d15.png

 

image.png.05ebd238b5a6b41c015ae426b382800e.png

 

image.png.9e9f469df6542e2e383fc9c78afd0ebd.png

 

Why is nothing being done about hate speech ? They blocked comments with minors in it but never blocked comments on a video that encourages all of this hate speech

 

Why does it matter, if you really don't like it then just ignore it. If you're easily upset by people aggressively asserting their opinions or disagreeing with each other, the YouTube comment section is really not the right place for you. Just because your disagree with these people's voices doesn't mean their voices should be silenced.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

filtering swear by words is easy, even i can do it.

but for the whole context of the sentence it might be difficult.

you can say "fcuk that's good" or "i can fcuk you up good".

 

just report the comment and see what's happen.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2801939?hl=en

Or fsck

 

Which can't actually be filtered because FSCK can be several things including a linux file checker


PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME
NotCPUCores Dev | Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX480 8GB OC, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

@Powarusuki There is nothing wrong with disagreeing someone but there is something wrong with embarrassing and lowering someone for their practices


If you want me to see your reply, please tag me @Faisal A

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Faisal A said:

@Powarusuki There is nothing wrong with disagreeing someone but there is something wrong with embarrassing and lowering someone for their practices

Either way if you're upset by such things then it should probably be best to just avoid it instead of exposing yourself to it and getting upset over and over again. I'm not a fan of carrots and as such, I choose not to consume them. Might be best for you to avoid comment sections like this if they make you upset to a point where you're reporting upwards of 100+ comments.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

@Powarusuki There is nothing wrong with disagreeing someone but there is something wrong with embarrassing and lowering someone for their practices

That's how the great USA free speech is all about. That's why KKK and Neo Nazi movement still existed, as long as there's no crime involved, you can say what ever you want.

The best way to handle it, is to ignore.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont read YouTube comments if you cant handle them. Theres always going to be rude people on such a huge plattform


 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

That's how the great USA free speech is all about. That's why KKK and Neo Nazi movement still existed, as long as there's no crime involved, you can say what ever you want.

The best way to handle it, is to ignore. 

Great USA free speech is only about government, not companies. You can't even say "fuck" on US television, let alone "fuck your whole religion."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to life. People are assholes when they can get away with it. You have to grow up and deal with it.  Its unfortunate but the Internet hasn't changed much on that front in 30 years. Its the far west, better to ignore it cause you won't be able to change their mind if you try to interact with them and reporting is not going to satisfy you at all cause you probably won't see the result of it. So its basically time wasted.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, a lot of pointless conflict was caused by religion. The world would be arguably a better place if people didn't use it as a way to justify discrimination towards others or even justification for murder.

 

Just sayin

 

And this is coming from someone baptized in a Catholic church.


SNOWHEART - laptop

Model: TRACER III 17R XTREME VR 800 || CPU: Intel i7-8750H  || RAM: HyperX Impact 16GB || GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 || Storage: Intel 660P 512GB Display: 1920x1080p 144hz

 

 

PRISIMHEART 2.0 - desktop

Case: TT Core V1 || PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750w || MB: Asrock Fata1ity AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac || CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 1600 || CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 w/ FD Venturi fan || RAM: G.Skill Flare X 16GB || GPU: Galax GTX 1070 EXOC-SNPR || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + SG Firecuda 2TB

 

PERIPHERALS / DISPLAY

Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Steelseries RIval 650 || Monitor: HP Omen 32

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×