Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InfinityVive

What are the GPUs that no one should never buy?

This question is flawed, in my opinion. It's much easier to give a recommendation for a part they should use, because those parts are still in use today. If your friend wants an answer to the budget card, it's a 750Ti in my opinion. It's affordable, does not require an extra power connector, and can play most games at reasonable framerates (but maybe on the lowest of settings).

There should be many factors your friend should be using. It sounds like price is one of those, but power limitations, types of games they'll mostly be playing, and CPU selection is also important.

This is like asking to buy a car, and what car to avoid. Each car serves a particular purpose - it has a specific niche. As do video cards.

So, tell your friend to pick a budget for the card and the games they'll be playing. You don't just go to the car dealership and ask the dealer, "Hey, which of these should I not buy?"

You say here are my needs, here is my budget, here is what I have so far to compliment it.

hi

pipes
Undervolting 5700 (not mine but important)

7 hours ago, rcmaehl said:
  • Nvidia
    • Anything with a model number less than 700 (e.g. gt680, gt550ti). These are too old for anything useful

• AMD
    • Anything with a model number less than x60. These are basically only good for watching youtube videos
    • Anything with a 4 digit model number. These are too old for anything useful

A GTX 680 is still better/equal to a GTX 1050 ti. It's still, surprisingly enough, quite relevant today. Same goes for the HD 7950 and 7970. They are all still very capable today. The only thing to look out for, especially with cards like most 680s, that only have 2 GB of VRAM, is that you don't run into VRAM limitations (if it wasn't for the 2 GB VRAM limit I could've played a game I quite like at 5760x1200 without issues... perhaps I should try to change some settings to reduce vram usage... hmm...). For the rest, IMO very much recommended if newer cards are much more expensive.

7 hours ago, InfinityVive said:

He is looking into buying Radeon HD 5450... it is not a chinese clone and it is less than 10 years old... he is looking into the 2 GB model

An HD 5450 is a really meh card. You could get something like an HD 6570 or GT 220 (half as good as the HD 6570) for 15 bucks, but increasing that price somewhat will massively increase price to performance, and get you something actually useful.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

8 hours ago, InfinityVive said:

I want a list of GPUs he should avoid not GPUs he should use...

Well then, he should avoid the HD 5450... 

Avoid anything close to or over 10 years old for sure. I honestly wouldn't pay for a GPU that's over 6 years old myself.

Anything ATI is going to be way to outdated for anything besides running multiple displays.

Like stated before both the GTX 680 and the GTX 750ti are good budget options if you are looking for the super cheap route.

Also asking only for the cards they should avoid is ridiculous, and not even acknowledging suggestions on what they should get, besides to basically tell them off is also pretty ridiculous. 

Main Desktop: Cpu - I7-8700k @5ghz | Mobo - Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E | Gpu - Evga GTX 1080ti FTW3 Ram - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000mhz | Aio - H100i Pro RGB | Psu - Evga 850 GQ | Case - Fractal Design Meshify C White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 1x 1TB 1x 512GB / 1x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 4TB HDD |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10+ - Ceramic White 512GB |

If you ask for a Mid Tower case recommend, I will 90% of the time recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C or S2.

11 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

I mean it's not a BAD card but 5xx and 6xx drivers are EoL as of last year. 

Gtx 645 still gets new drivers, and runs ok for something out of date. I'd imagine since it's the same chipset as 7xx, it would get eol when 7xx is chopped.  My 760 gets the new drivers still. The 6xx and 7xx series have greatly improved with new drivers.  Can't write them off yet.  Especially when people still play cs:go, and there are 560s still in the wild.

Posted · Original PosterOP
5 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Well then, he should avoid the HD 5450... 

Avoid anything close to or over 10 years old for sure. I honestly wouldn't pay for a GPU that's over 6 years old myself.

Anything ATI is going to be way to outdated for anything besides running multiple displays.

Like stated before both the GTX 680 and the GTX 750ti are good budget options if you are looking for the super cheap route.

Also asking only for the cards they should avoid is ridiculous, and not even acknowledging suggestions on what they should get, besides to basically tell them off is also pretty ridiculous. 

He is offered a Used GT 1030 for 20$... that's a good deal... right?

15 hours ago, rcmaehl said:
  • Nvidia
    • Anything with a model number less than x50 (e.g. gt 210, gt 730). These are basically only good for watching youtube videos
    • Anything with a model number less than 700 (e.g. gt680, gt550ti). These are too old for anything useful

• AMD
    • Anything with a model number less than x60. These are basically only good for watching youtube videos
    • Anything with a 4 digit model number. These are too old for anything useful

• ATI
    • Just no. Too old

• 3DFX
    • Definitely No.

• General
    • If it has VGA, Stay Away (it's likely a scam anyway)

Do note that the AMD 4 digit model number rule is great. But you're also ruling out the RX 5700 and XT with that rule of thumb. Which you know. You might still not want to buy used because the only used ones your likely to see for a while is people having regrets over buying refrence blowers.

11 hours ago, InfinityVive said:

He is offered a Used GT 1030 for 20$... that's a good deal... right?

For $20? I guess... The 750ti is still a better card though.

Main Desktop: Cpu - I7-8700k @5ghz | Mobo - Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E | Gpu - Evga GTX 1080ti FTW3 Ram - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000mhz | Aio - H100i Pro RGB | Psu - Evga 850 GQ | Case - Fractal Design Meshify C White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 1x 1TB 1x 512GB / 1x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 4TB HDD |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10+ - Ceramic White 512GB |

If you ask for a Mid Tower case recommend, I will 90% of the time recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C or S2.

On 8/13/2019 at 9:39 AM, InfinityVive said:

He is looking into buying Radeon HD 5450... it is not a chinese clone and it is less than 10 years old... he is looking into the 2 GB model

I had a 5450 on a server, it's good for minecraft beta 1.7.2

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling