New PC build issues.

Alright so I bought an entire new pc's worth of parts a few days ago. I put it all together and it worked, one small problem. It keeps randomly restarting itself. By randomly I really do mean random. It only happens when its under load, mostly when I play games. But not all the time. I can sometimes play for a few hours before it restarts, or a few minutes depending on how the pc feels I guess. I have tried reseating everything. Thought it might be a cpu temp issue, so I re applied thermal paste, and also went out and bought a liquid cooler. It's def not a temp problem unless it's the gpu overheating. I dl'ed afterburner to monitor temps while gaming and the gpu does hit around 78-80 degrees. Which is apparently average / kinda high. Any idea's on what else it could be? I've ran memtest, The ram is good. I've ran stress tests on every part of the pc and each individually passed each test. The parts are less then a week old. Any help would be appreciated. 

Parts list: 

I7-8700 (non-k) 

Corsair H60 water cooler 

MSI MPG z390 gaming plus mother board

corsair cx750m power supply 

32gb corsair rgb ram @ 3200 MHz 

GTX 1080 founder edition 

36 minutes ago, Somef4tkid said:

Alright so I bought an entire new

*snip*

Parts list: 

I7-8700 (non-k) 

Corsair H60 water cooler 

MSI MPG z390 gaming plus mother board

corsair cx750m power supply 

32gb corsair rgb ram @ 3200 MHz 

GTX 1080 founder edition 

Out of curiosity, why did you go for 8700 and not something like 3600/3700?

did you buy all parts new ? (Besides GPU)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

You wouldn't happen to have a spare power supply around would you?

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

5 hours ago, Mr.Humble said:

You wouldn't happen to have a spare power supply around would you?

I do in my streaming pc, I would have to take it apart which just seems like a hassle, but that did cross my mind to troubleshoot. 

6 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Out of curiosity, why did you go for 8700 and not something like 3600/3700?

did you buy all parts new ? (Besides GPU)

Everything besides the GPU were bought on the same day. Like a week ago. I'm assuming your talking about Ryzen. Mostly because I didn't/don't know enough about them. As far as I've heard intel is the way to go for gaming, but I'm pretty uninformed in that area. The GPU I bought the day they released them so it's relatively old. I did however buy a 1650 to replace it in my old PC that is now my streaming computer.

Before you take your PC apart, try putting the PC under load and check if the fan in the power supply is running (or speeding up) or if the PSU is getting very hot.

Other than that, have you tried doing a BIOS update?

I assume you have all the latest drivers installed? (Mainly for this problem, the chipset driver)

2 minutes ago, The89Lunder said:

Before you take your PC apart, try putting the PC under load and check if the fan in the power supply is running (or speeding up) or if the PSU is getting very hot.

Other than that, have you tried doing a BIOS update?

I assume you have all the latest drivers installed? (Mainly for this problem, the chipset driver)

Let me make sure, that's the only other thing I haven't checked. I will also check the drivers and such and get back to you, give me a few minutes. 

How does it shut down? Suddenly? Or is it a full windows thing like windows saying 'Restarting PC' and u have to wait?

If its suddenly its gotta be a power supply problem.

Edit: Or Bios

4 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

How does it shut down? Suddenly? Or is it a full windows thing like windows saying 'Restarting PC' and u have to wait?

I did just install the newest version of the bios, I wonder if maybe that's the issue. It's a brand new power supply. Lemme run it in a game and make sure its not overheating. 

5 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

Also it games for anywhere between 2 mins in game - 2 hours in game before doing the random restart. It does it suddenly then fully restarts the pc. It runs fine until its put under load. So it very well may be the psu. 

1 minute ago, Somef4tkid said:

Also it games for anywhere between 2 mins in game - 2 hours in game before doing the random restart. It does it suddenly then fully restarts the pc. It runs fine until its put under load. So it very well may be the psu. 

is the psu fan spinning? can u see it?

6 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

is the psu fan spinning? can u see it?

The fan is spinning. It's also quite cool. Now to test under load. 

20 minutes ago, Somef4tkid said:

The fan is spinning. It's also quite cool. Now to test under load. 

PSU is still cold, I ran the timespy bench mark ->> https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/38486147?

Ran fine as far as I can tell and didn't crash. 

I did install the chipset driver, Idk if it was already installed or not, but I redid it anyways from the manufacturers website. 

Gonna do a bit more testing in some graphically intensive games. 

Just now, Somef4tkid said:

PSU is still cold, I ran the timespy bench mark ->> https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/38486147?

Ran fine as far as I can tell and didn't crash. 

I did install the chipset driver, Idk if it was already installed or not, but I redid it anyways from the manufacturers website. 

Gonna do a bit more testing in some graphically intensive games. 

fingers crossed 

2 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

fingers crossed 

Nope, booted up PUBG for a few seconds sat in the main screen and PC crashed immediately. 

anyone think it may be the PSU for sure now? 

It's literally booting off the PC then restarting so that seems pretty PSU to me. 

Try looking into Event log and see if you can see some kind of useful information there.

For example I got a bunch of code 41 events corresponding to shutdowns due to power loss the other day.

just a side note, is this a fresh install of Windows?

4 minutes ago, Somef4tkid said:

It's literally booting off the PC then restarting so that seems pretty PSU to me. 

Kinda points to either that or motherboard. Test the PSU :)

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

1 minute ago, Mr.Humble said:

Try looking into Event log and see if you can see some kind of useful information there.

For example I got a bunch of code 41 events corresponding to shutdowns due to power loss the other day.

just a side note, is this a fresh install of Windows?

Kinda points to either that or motherboard. Test the PSU :)

Yea it is a brand new install of windows. Every shut down is a Kernel-Power error. 

I can always take the PSU back and get a new one. I did buy It from the BestBuy that is a few minutes from my house. 

I figure that's probably what I'll have to do. 

Just now, Somef4tkid said:

Yea it is a brand new install of windows. Every shut down is a Kernel-Power error. 

I can always take the PSU back and get a new one. I did buy It from the BestBuy that is a few minutes from my house. 

do try swapping them first. I know it's a hassle but let's rule out the possibility that it's a motherboard VRM problem

The HUMBLE Computer:

27 minutes ago, Somef4tkid said:

if its only a few mins down the road itll probably be easier to exchange it for a new one than swap it. Gotta be that or the mobo.

24 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

if its only a few mins down the road itll probably be easier to exchange it for a new one than swap it. Gotta be that or the mobo.

So it was the PSU, Swapped it for my 650 watt out of my streaming pc and its working perfectly now with no crashes. Guess its time to go up to BestBuy and swap the other one out. Thanks for all your help you guys! 

17 minutes ago, Somef4tkid said:

So it was the PSU, Swapped it for my 650 watt out of my streaming pc and its working perfectly now with no crashes. Guess its time to go up to BestBuy and swap the other one out. Thanks for all your help you guys! 

I recommend rmx you dont get problems like that from those,

best of luck thank god it’s an easy fix. Good luck.

22 hours ago, Somef4tkid said:

Glad you found the culprit!

As @The Torrent mentioned, Corsair RMx 2018 series are great.

The HUMBLE Computer: