Can you give me an opinion on what PSU I should go with?

Hey there.

I am a first-time PC builder. I apologize if I miss out on something. This is obviously a build on a budget. My specs of my build are:

- ASRock A320m-HDV 

-Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2666 (8GB,DDR4)

-EVGA GTX970 (non-sc/ftw)

-Ryzen 3 1200 (3.1Ghz)

- Kingston 120GB SSD

- Western Digital 1 TB 7200 RPM

I found two old power supplies. I am aware I should not cheap out on one, but I would like to hear your opinion on what PSU I should get. (Both are used).

Corsair VX450W CMPSU-450VX  450w

-Thermaltake SP-550AH2NCB-A 550w (SMART series?)

- 80plus Bronze

Thank you.

I really hesitate to encourage you to opt for a used PSU.

As you've said, it's not something you cheap out on.

The VX450 is a fairly dated unit, and the SP-550 is what I consider to be a "meh" unit. It's not intrinsically dangerous to my knowledge, but not overly impressive either. There's just a few things that just aren't worth buying used in my eyes; storage, and PSU's. All things considered, a very solid unit can be had for not significantly more than a used unit.

Something like this (as just one example):
https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-Titanium-SSR-1000TR-Modular-Warranty/dp/B073GY89G5?th=1

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

30 minutes ago, B_order said:

I found two old power supplies. I am aware I should not cheap out on one, but I would like to hear your opinion on what PSU I should get. (Both are used).

Corsair VX450W CMPSU-450VX  450w

-Thermaltake SP-550AH2NCB-A 550w (SMART series?)

- 80plus Bronze

The Corsair VX450 is more than 10 years old. It also only has one 6pin PCIe power connector, while most GTX970s require two.

The Thermaltake Smart is newer, but it's not that great.

You should look at some new budget PSUs instead of old used stuff, even if you are on a budget. What country are you in?

28 minutes ago, Semper said:

All things considered, a very solid unit can be had for not significantly more than a used unit.

Something like this (as just one example):
https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-Titanium-SSR-1000TR-Modular-Warranty/dp/B073GY89G5?th=1

I'm going to hazard a guess that someone considering a 2nd hand 13 year old Corsair VX450 probably can't afford a brand new $90 Seasonic PSU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

The Corsair VX450 is more than 10 years old. It also only has one 6pin PCIe power connector, while most GTX970s require two.

The Thermaltake Smart is newer, but it's not that great.

You should look at some new budget PSUs instead of old used stuff, even if you are on a budget. What country are you in?

My GTX970 has a 6-pin and 8-pin. I live in the US. 

7 minutes ago, B_order said:

are you really that budget tight..?

used PSU especially that old could be very troublesome.

at least get a cx550m corsiar etc, it will be reusable on your future upgrades.

Both of those units are trailer trash.

The thermaltake Smart is akin to the S12II (Not on the same platform, mind you) but it's group regulated, lacks OTP, UVP and OCP. Terrible unit

That old Corsair unit is also ancient and I am willing to bet that it's also group regulated and at least lacks OTP.

I highly recommend a Corsair CX450 (2017) (Not to be confused with the CXM, although that's a good unit as well. The CX is just better.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

34 minutes ago, B_order said:

6 minutes ago, PSUGuru said:

I highly recommend a Corsair CX450 (2017)

Can't use the CX450 - It only has a single PCIe connector and the GTX970 OP has requires two PCIe connectors. The CX550 would be fine however. Prices look a little steep at the moment, currently "on sale" for $65 on Newegg. If you don't need it immediately I'd recommend waiting for a sale to see if you can get it for around $55 if you can. Prices seem to be going up across all PSUs in the last few months though thanks to import tariffs, so I think the days of $40 CX550's are unfortunately over.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

Can't use the CX450 - It only has a single PCIe connector and the GTX970 OP has requires two PCIe connectors. The CX550 would be fine however. Prices look a little steep at the moment, currently "on sale" for $65 on Newegg. If you don't need it immediately I'd recommend waiting for a sale to see if you can get it for around $55 if you can. Prices seem to be going up across all PSUs in the last few months though thanks to import tariffs, so I think the days of $40 CX550's are unfortunately over.

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it. Do you know if it’s good to buy the EVGA 400 N1, 400W? It has a 6-pin and 8-pin pci-e connector, and has enough watts to support my build. It’s not an 80 plus rated power supply however.

On 8/13/2019 at 7:39 AM, B_order said:

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it. Do you know if it’s good to buy the EVGA 400 N1, 400W? It has a 6-pin and 8-pin pci-e connector, and has enough watts to support my build. It’s not an 80 plus rated power supply however.

DEFINITELY NOT.

That PSU is even worse than your 13 year old options.

What country are you in and what is your budget?

36 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

DEFINITELY NOT.

That PSU is even worse than your 13 year old options.

What country are you in and what is your budget?

I live in the US. My budget for the PSU is max 40USD for the power supply. I am willing to increase depending on my options.

I saw an EVGA 450bv. Is it good?

32 minutes ago, B_order said:

I saw an EVGA 450bv. Is it good?

Increase your budget.

$40 is grossly inadequate for a PSU budget if you expect it to last more than a year.

13 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Increase your budget.

$40 is grossly inadequate for a PSU budget if you expect it to last more than a year.

I'll increase my budget. Do you know any psu's that you would recommend? 

On pcpartpicker, it says my PC needs 305 watts.