Can connect to internet but can't connect to game servers

KawaiiNacho

Hello,

Im in a hospital for a very long time and there really isn't anything to do besides watching netflix or youtube but that gets stale after 2 months. The only games I can play are singleplayer and my laptop isn't really powerfull enough to play the demanding single player games I usueally play at home (eg cms 2018). I tried to launch an online game hoping the wifi won't die on me but I couldn't even connect to the game servers. I tried War thunder, EVE, War planet online and ever agar.io or any online browwser game doesn't work. I can connect to the internet just fine.

My WiFi properties are:

SSID:    Clients Guest
Protocol:    802.11n
Security type:    Open
Network band:    2.4 GHz
Network channel:    11
IPv4 address:    10.22.14.212
IPv4 DNS servers:    1.1.1.1
Manufacturer:    Intel Corporation
Description:    Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265
Driver version:    20.50.3.3
Physical address (MAC):    D4-6D-6D-FD-88-97

What do?

Chances are the hospital has those types of connections blocked for security purposes. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

"That type of connection"?

Isn't connecting to a server to play a game the same as connecting to a server to download a webpage?

I've got no clue how any of this work so please correct me if i'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, KawaiiNacho said:

"That type of connection"?

Isn't connecting to a server to play a game the same as connecting to a server to download a webpage?

I've got no clue how any of this work so please correct me if i'm wrong.

No, completely different. They probably only have common ports open for use, like 80, 443 etc and everything else black listed. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Ah that makes sense. Guess i'll just have to use a VPN or a mobile hotspot then.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, KawaiiNacho said:

Ah that makes sense. Guess i'll just have to use a VPN or a mobile hotspot then.

Thanks!

VPN wont make a difference. thats for location, not unblocking ports. 

Mobile hotspot could potentially work depending on speed of the connection

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I've tried both already and they solve the problem

15 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

VPN (if configured to) tunnels all traffic and can definitely bypass port blocks.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

59 minutes ago, Lurick said:

VPN (if configured to) tunnels all traffic and can definitely bypass port blocks.

Also if you don’t have access to the main point ? Cause I imagine the hospital would have a few firewalls and what not setup?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

13 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Also if you don’t have access to the main point ? Cause I imagine the hospital would have a few firewalls and what not setup?

Yah, a firewall encapsulates all traffic (if configured to do so) and tunnels it all over a specific port.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

Yah, a firewall encapsulates all traffic (if configured to do so) and tunnels it all over a specific port.

So how would a VPN allow gaming in this instance if firewall and port forwarding etc has been set by the hospital? I’m curious - not saying you’re wrong ?

52 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

So how would a VPN allow gaming in this instance if firewall and port forwarding etc has been set by the hospital? I’m curious - not saying you’re wrong ?

The VPN would take the packets and encapsulate them in another packet so they look like regular HTTPS traffic (or usually HTTPS traffic) and then it would forward it to the VPN endpoint which can be anywhere but is usually at one of the main datacenters for the provider. Then it would decap the packet and send it out like normal. When the traffic comes back it would be re-encapsulated and send back to the client.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: