GPU not getting enough air?

LostAndDamned
Go to solution Solved by RAS_3885,
21 hours ago, LostAndDamned said:

- Snip -

Your case and fan setup seems like it should be providing good airflow, however, have you tested running with the case side panel removed?  If temps drop noticeably then it's likely an airflow thing.  If they don't change then it may just be how hot your card runs.  80 percent fan speed seems a little high to maintain 72 C, but I don't have an RTX2080 so I don't know how hot they typically run.

It also looks like you have the temp and power targets cranked to the max.  What happens if you lower the power target back down to 100 percent?  If you don't have a noticeable drop in game performance from that, but temps decrease, that might be worth while.

Lately I have a real problem with my GPU temps.

especially now in summer my EVGA 2080 FTW3 gets way to hot (85°C = GPU-Fans 40%, 78°C = GPU-Fans 60%). The only way to fix it is having the fans be at least on 80% or more and then it is still around 72°C even if it's colder in the evening (around 13~16°C ambient most of the time) it doesn't really get any better and I don't know what's wrong. The only thing I figured by testing is that the GPU maybe doesn't get enough fresh air. When I hold my hand in the case I can feel that the air from the front fan barely gets to the middle of the gpu, none to the rear end. The only thing that really affects the GPU temp is a higher GPU Fan curve with at least 80% which is way to loud. I can hear that easily with my open back heaphones. My i7 8700k no delid for example has no problem staying in 30°C in idle and 75°C even on the hottest of days with 4.7ghz on 1.25v. Or maybe it's the Precision X software from EVGA which gives me a lot of problems and I don't know how I can OC my GPU with Afterburner since it only detects 2 Fans.

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C

Fans: 2x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM in front as intake, 2x BeQuiet Silent Wings 2 140mm DC on top (removed them, used as intake/exhaust with marginal differences) and one fractal design 120mm case fan as exhaust in the rear.

CPU Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3

It really is a problem for me and I don't know if it really is a problem to begin with perhaps because my old PC wasn't as powerful and in a case with noise reduction. This PC I have since winter now and I have my windows opened even in winter since the cold doesn't bother me. Therefore it could be that I just don't know better. Also my case fans all are around 60% in idle because I tried fixing it by making the fan curves way more aggressiv, especially the one which is providing air for the GPU, which isn't as loud except the exhaust that makes some weird noise and therefore I should replace it anyways.

Any help is appreciated, I just don't anymore what to do since it's really annoying.

EDIT: Screenshot with 13°C Ambient while playing Witcher 3

CPU: r7 7700X 5.5Ghz 1.32v  Mainboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-E GAMING WIFI RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO EXPO RGB DDR5-6000 CL36 GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 [2115/8000] Power: BeQuiet 1000W Straight Power Platinum CPU-Block: Alphacool Core XP³ Acetal Storage: EVO 512GB; EVO Plus 1TB; EVO PLUS 2TB; SN850X 2TB; 3x MX500 1TB; 1x MX500 2TB Case: Lian Li Lancool 3 Audio: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro Limited Edition w/ JDS Labs Atom AMP & Topping E30 DAC; Blue Yeti Mic  Monitors:LG 27GL850-B, LG 27UD58P-B, BenQ GL2450 Peripherals: Glorious GMMK Full-Size w/ Tealios V2; Logitech G PRO X Superlight

image.thumb.png.4edf99f592b97d79850818297d4d06da.png

CPU: r7 7700X 5.5Ghz 1.32v  Mainboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-E GAMING WIFI RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO EXPO RGB DDR5-6000 CL36 GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 [2115/8000] Power: BeQuiet 1000W Straight Power Platinum CPU-Block: Alphacool Core XP³ Acetal Storage: EVO 512GB; EVO Plus 1TB; EVO PLUS 2TB; SN850X 2TB; 3x MX500 1TB; 1x MX500 2TB Case: Lian Li Lancool 3 Audio: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro Limited Edition w/ JDS Labs Atom AMP & Topping E30 DAC; Blue Yeti Mic  Monitors:LG 27GL850-B, LG 27UD58P-B, BenQ GL2450 Peripherals: Glorious GMMK Full-Size w/ Tealios V2; Logitech G PRO X Superlight

21 hours ago, LostAndDamned said:

- Snip -

Your case and fan setup seems like it should be providing good airflow, however, have you tested running with the case side panel removed?  If temps drop noticeably then it's likely an airflow thing.  If they don't change then it may just be how hot your card runs.  80 percent fan speed seems a little high to maintain 72 C, but I don't have an RTX2080 so I don't know how hot they typically run.

It also looks like you have the temp and power targets cranked to the max.  What happens if you lower the power target back down to 100 percent?  If you don't have a noticeable drop in game performance from that, but temps decrease, that might be worth while.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

2 hours ago, RAS_3885 said:

It worked, that's what it did. Same scenario the gpu is 65°C with 50% Fan Curve max, sometimes goes as high as 70°C but it pretty much worked. It just never occured to me since most oc guides just say: "Crank you power limit and fans to max, then test around with Core and Memory. Afterwards adjust fans accordingly." I didn't think about lowering PL but it dit the trick. Thanks!

2 hours ago, LostAndDamned said:

It worked, that's what it did. Same scenario the gpu is 65°C with 50% Fan Curve max, sometimes goes as high as 70°C but it pretty much worked. It just never occured to me since most oc guides just say: "Crank you power limit and fans to max, then test around with Core and Memory. Afterwards adjust fans accordingly." I didn't think about lowering PL but it dit the trick. Thanks!

Much nicer temps and fan levels; glad it worked!

In my own testing I've found that if not overclocking, maxing the temp and power limit only gets a few FPS (may vary by card, just what I've seen on my 1080) and wouldn't be worth the higher fan speeds if temps become an issue.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15