Lenovo Y27gq 1440p 240Hz The Ultimate Monitor! [My Written Review + Video]

EnVii

Hi Guys, 

I've had the Leovo Y27gq for a couple of weeks now and I have to say, it's absolutely amazing!

I call it the ultimate monitor because for me,

It's 27" in size - I've had lots of monitors over the years, 19-34" and I've always felt the sweet spot is the 27.

It's 1440p - I think on this screen size, it has to be at least 1440p. I loved my 27" 2160p screen and the detail is INCREDIBLE but its hard to drive and relies on SLI / NVLink support to really make it work. 2K is definitely the sweet spot though.

It's got 240Hz - I've always been a fan of 144Hz but having a 240Hz monitor for a while before not being able to handle low res and very poor colours led me to ultimately go back - however, I personally always missed 240Hz!

2nd Gen TN - Faster Response Times: While I never really experinced issues on previous 240Hz Displays, the 2nd Gen TN panels promse even faster transitons! Again, there aren't any definitive reviews or actual nu,ber crunching but I've got no complaints whatsoever regarding this monitor. Literally no motion blur and no overshoot! 

DCI-P3 Colours - it has around 90% Coverage and it really shows, I'm used to high end IPS Monitors and the latest OLED TVs and I have to say, its so close, if not as good as a IPS monitor. The blacks do let it down slightly but the whites and colours - I never thought a TN would look this good! Couple with 1440p, its so nice to even watch videos, movies, pictures and of course, games!

Nvidia G-Sync - A must for me as I'm running Nvidia GPUs. 

Design - Not the best or most striking but nothing really to complain about. Reasonable build and I'm glad its just mostly black. I would have liked slightly better cable management but this is neglible.

Price - it's quite steap at £900 which is about $1,200 USD, but its far from the most expensive and is a "worlds first" monitor.

Overall, 

I would rate it a 9/10.

It's absoutely amazing to play games in silky smooth 240Hz at 2K with really nice colours.

Even games that average 180-220 FPS are benefitting from this display and futureproof the purchase as I intend to purchase 1-3 more latest Nvidia GPUs before a new system rebuild so should help to continue hitting those high numbers!

Please feel free to ask any questions regarding this monitor and I'll try and answer.

Here is my YouTube video for this monitor

https://youtu.be/KFPc-1q0B1c

Hi,

I just received the monitor this week and I've been mainly testing out various calibrations for it so far.

I currently have two issues with the monitor:

1. Fan noise, you definitely notice the fan if you have a silent computer. There doesn't seem to be any fan curve since it is running at a fixed speed at all times.
I'm hoping for SOME fan control and a possible firmware update to solve this, but I doubt it.

2. Color banding with dark grey/black scale. Testing via https://www.eizo.be/monitor-test/ -> Gradients , it is quite easy to see. It is also noticeable in dark games (like Hollow Knight, Batman e.t.c.). Haven't really found any setting to solve this issue.

Do you experience the banding? If not, what are your settings?

1 hour ago, Sublett said:

Hi,

I just received the monitor this week and I've been mainly testing out various calibrations for it so far.

I currently have two issues with the monitor:

1. Fan noise, you definitely notice the fan if you have a silent computer. There doesn't seem to be any fan curve since it is running at a fixed speed at all times.
I'm hoping for SOME fan control and a possible firmware update to solve this, but I doubt it.

2. Color banding with dark grey/black scale. Testing via https://www.eizo.be/monitor-test/ -> Gradients , it is quite easy to see. It is also noticeable in dark games (like Hollow Knight, Batman e.t.c.). Haven't really found any setting to solve this issue.

Do you experience the banding? If not, what are your settings?

1). I only notice this if I turn on my monitor and the room is silent. I have 12 Fans in my PC and so these easily provide a small amount of consistent noise that straight away hides the monitor fan noise. 

I also have very good speakers at a quarter volume plus I sit back from the desk. 

Overall - the fan is a non-issue for me. 

It’s highly unlikely to change because it’s apparently there for the G-Sync module. 

This was a point in the PG27UQ that I owned (again not an issue for me) but that wasn’t adjustable and has only been updated for release in the PG27UQX. 

Having said that, Lenovo could have an update for it but I’m sure it’s designed to just run 100% and then for 20 minutes after monitor has switched off. 

2). I’ve read a few people say this but I don’t get banding on mine. 

On my review above, I do state that blacks can look a little washed out and grey - although Whites and Colours are really good - this issue is only on desktop use.  

I don’t have any issues within video, gaming or pictures. 

My settings are generally low brightness and contrast about 50 plus I have the blue light filter on. 

Overall, I was very impressed with the Colour Output and it’s very close, if not the same as a SDR IPS display. 

I hope this helps. 

The fan is NOT mentioned in ANY marketing material!! I also owned the PG27UQ and found that display to be full of flaws.. including that annoying fan. 

It would be really helpful to have a teardown of the monitor to see if that bloody fan can be modded.. there are plenty of awesome fans out there that have great performance at low rpms.

5 hours ago, tangawanga said:

The fan is NOT mentioned in ANY marketing material!! I also owned the PG27UQ and found that display to be full of flaws.. including that annoying fan. 

It would be really helpful to have a teardown of the monitor to see if that bloody fan can be modded.. there are plenty of awesome fans out there that have great performance at low rpms.

It has a fan because of the G-Sync v2 module. 

Lenovo did include information/picture of the fan on their forums on this monitors announcement page. 

But it will bother some and not bother others. I’m glad it’s the latter for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm confirming some of your findings:

Ive got this monitor for over 2 months now.

I had some issues in the beginning, but never dithering banding or anything like this.

The issues i had:

- FAN was on 24/7, even when PC was off, this was solved after turning on deep sleep mode. Now its only on when i use it. I have to add this fan is quite quiet, my PC is under the desk and is louder in 100% of the cases than the monitor. My girlfriend and i use a double-desk so my monitor is literally in her face and she did not even notice there is a fan till i told her. So all the complaints sound exxegarated about this. Althought i'm wondering how long this fan will last. but w/e

- I had 2 stuck pixels for 2 weeks, they are gone for the past 6 weeks in 100% - kind of sorted themselves out(some soft rubbing helped every time and once they disappeared for good)

- The monitor kept blinking every once in a while(2-5 minutes) in black, only when g-sync was on. After 2 weeks of googleing i found someone who said you need to completely unpower the PC and the monitor because the GPU keeps some monitor related settings. I thought thats stupid but if it isnt going to work i'm returning anyway so why not.

I tried and it is solved now.

Technically the only issue i have left is the horrible coordination in the OSD, not intuitive and the buttons cannot be seen because the monitor is so fckn bright. Love it!
The OSD could have been explained somewhere, whats an FPS1 mode... what each overdrive setting mean etc. But it is not, this is a big problem for me...

The colors might not be 100% accurate, but i like it better than my LG 34uc79G IPS or samsung cf791 - they pop so much more. I use DCPI space for gaming srgb games so colors pop even more. using gamme +0.6, White is still white much better than any of the others.

Blacks are VA-level for my eye. Colors are better than on a VA Quantum dot...

Even the viewing angles have greatly improved since the older generation of TN panels.

The response time... wow... i used benqs and asus 240hz 1080p monitors earlier but i returned them very quick because mostly of the very shit colors.

And now that i use this monitor i can definately say input lag is lower than with those @high-end 1080p 240hz@ monitors, smearing is even less, tearing is literally 0 even without g-sync.

I can't measure the 0.5 response time but the MPRT is about 0.3 sec according to the ufotest. There is no smearing shadowing overshooting whatsoever at all! Its SO MUCH better than my 

All in all, im super satisfied with this monitor. 9/10(due customer service and OSD quality -1). I definately recommend this.

The monitors is used side by side with lenovo to check the differences:

Benq Zowie XL2540(TN 240hz)

Asus ROG Swift PG258Q(TN 240hz)

LG 34UC79G-B (IPS 144hz)

Samsung 34" CF791 (VA 100hz)

I'm keeping the Lenovo and the Samsung(my girlfriend likes this more than the others and doesn't mind smearing etc)

Lenovo is better in every way for me than any of those. All i miss is the ultrawides. But i have no space for 2 monitor every day on my desk.
Feel free to throw any questions and i gladly do any tests if i'm able to do it.

• 4 months later...

Have you had problems with HDR?

I've monitor Y27gq-25 and rtx 2080ti...
But i've i try Call Of Duty MW 2019 whit HDR,
when I change the volume and appears overlay volume the monitor go black...

I've another problem whit Battlefiled V and AC Odyssey: when i play, whit HDR set ON, it's egual to SDR, and when I change the volume and appears overlay volume the image turns into HDR (but with wrong colors)...when overlay go away, the game turn like SDR image

The problem is the Monitor or Windows 10 hdr ?

Thanks

• 4 months later...
On 2/9/2020 at 4:38 PM, Fifagi said:

Have you had problems with HDR?

I've monitor Y27gq-25 and rtx 2080ti...
But i've i try Call Of Duty MW 2019 whit HDR,
when I change the volume and appears overlay volume the monitor go black...

I've another problem whit Battlefiled V and AC Odyssey: when i play, whit HDR set ON, it's egual to SDR, and when I change the volume and appears overlay volume the image turns into HDR (but with wrong colors)...when overlay go away, the game turn like SDR image

The problem is the Monitor or Windows 10 hdr ?

Thanks

Fifagi

The problem you described with the screen turning black when you change the volume is not a problem, this is only because when you activate HDR mode it is active on the desktop but when you open a game that does not run in HDR it automatically changes the image for SDR, so when you open the volume notification it goes back to HDR and when the notification disappears it goes back to SDR, the screen goes black and then back.

You can confirm this by opening the monitor's control panel on the desktop in the "information" sub-menu, and then open the monitor's control panel again during the game, you will see that on the desktop it will inform you that you are running in HDR and in the game will inform you that it is running in SDR.

If you try to open the call of duty warzone this will no longer happen because the game will also run in HDR.

On 8/12/2019 at 8:23 PM, EnVii said:

Hi Guys, 

I've had the Leovo Y27gq for a couple of weeks now and I have to say, it's absolutely amazing!

I call it the ultimate monitor because for me,

It's 27" in size - I've had lots of monitors over the years, 19-34" and I've always felt the sweet spot is the 27.

It's 1440p - I think on this screen size, it has to be at least 1440p. I loved my 27" 2160p screen and the detail is INCREDIBLE but its hard to drive and relies on SLI / NVLink support to really make it work. 2K is definitely the sweet spot though.

It's got 240Hz - I've always been a fan of 144Hz but having a 240Hz monitor for a while before not being able to handle low res and very poor colours led me to ultimately go back - however, I personally always missed 240Hz!

2nd Gen TN - Faster Response Times: While I never really experinced issues on previous 240Hz Displays, the 2nd Gen TN panels promse even faster transitons! Again, there aren't any definitive reviews or actual nu,ber crunching but I've got no complaints whatsoever regarding this monitor. Literally no motion blur and no overshoot! 

DCI-P3 Colours - it has around 90% Coverage and it really shows, I'm used to high end IPS Monitors and the latest OLED TVs and I have to say, its so close, if not as good as a IPS monitor. The blacks do let it down slightly but the whites and colours - I never thought a TN would look this good! Couple with 1440p, its so nice to even watch videos, movies, pictures and of course, games!

Nvidia G-Sync - A must for me as I'm running Nvidia GPUs. 

Design - Not the best or most striking but nothing really to complain about. Reasonable build and I'm glad its just mostly black. I would have liked slightly better cable management but this is neglible.

Price - it's quite steap at £900 which is about $1,200 USD, but its far from the most expensive and is a "worlds first" monitor.

Overall, 

I would rate it a 9/10.

It's absoutely amazing to play games in silky smooth 240Hz at 2K with really nice colours.

Even games that average 180-220 FPS are benefitting from this display and futureproof the purchase as I intend to purchase 1-3 more latest Nvidia GPUs before a new system rebuild so should help to continue hitting those high numbers!

Please feel free to ask any questions regarding this monitor and I'll try and answer.

Here is my YouTube video for this monitor

https://youtu.be/KFPc-1q0B1c

Hello,

I have a problem with this monitor model "legion y27gq-25", the problem appears when I activate the "extreme" mode in the "overdrive" menu of the monitor's control panel.
When this mode is active and the response time of the monitor is set to 0.5 ms, the problems begin, the image starts "ghosting" or "overshoot", I filmed 2 examples of what is happening to me, you can see in these links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8p29h0amudlkti/video%20do%20ghosting.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yu2nmbwsdlh4vli/video%20ghosting%20alien.mp4?dl=0

The image ceases to be sharp and brightly colored streaks appear on certain objects in the images.

Can anyone confirm if this is a defect in my monitor or if this happens on all monitors of the same model?

thank you

On 7/1/2020 at 4:40 PM, Paulo Ricardo said:

Hello,

I have a problem with this monitor model "legion y27gq-25", the problem appears when I activate the "extreme" mode in the "overdrive" menu of the monitor's control panel.
When this mode is active and the response time of the monitor is set to 0.5 ms, the problems begin, the image starts "ghosting" or "overshoot", I filmed 2 examples of what is happening to me, you can see in these links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8p29h0amudlkti/video do ghosting.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yu2nmbwsdlh4vli/video ghosting alien.mp4?dl=0

The image ceases to be sharp and brightly colored streaks appear on certain objects in the images.

Can anyone confirm if this is a defect in my monitor or if this happens on all monitors of the same model?

thank you

Leave OD on the lowest setting. 

It shouldn’t show ghosting. 

9 hours ago, EnVii said:

Leave OD on the lowest setting. 

It shouldn’t show ghosting. 

Problems with ghosting appear in both Overdrive modes "extreme 0.5ms" and "off 3ms", this problem does not appear only when I select "normal 1ms".

Can you please try on your monitor to see if the same thing happens to you?
Just
move quickly from side to side the browser window (mozilla firefox open whith the google homepage from firefox), see the letters in the search bar where you type to search and look for ghosting in the 3 modes and see if only in "Off" mode there is no ghosting.

thank you

11 hours ago, Paulo Ricardo said:

this problem does not appear only when I select "normal 1ms".

Then there is nothing wrong. 

Leave it in Normal Mode,

Enjoy. 

• 3 years later...

hello! i have one question...i can use a radeon 7900xtx with this monitor and have g sync activated? tx a lot!

i read something about g-sync ultimate accept amd cards.