Maybe VR isn't dead after all...

nicklmg

"1,375.00" for the full kit... hahahaha.

If you can afford it, good for you I guess... I was hoping VR would come down in price over time, so far it has only increased in prices.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

7 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

"1,375.00" for the full kit... hahahaha

Got my Oculus Rift with Touch controllers brand new for $230 a few months ago and don't really see a need to get the Index or Vive, I have a pretty great experience with my Oculus already. And $1300 seem like a rip off.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

6 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Got my Oculus Rift with Touch controllers brand new for $230 a few months ago and don't really see a need to get the Index or Vive, I have a pretty great experience with my Oculus already. And $1300 seem like a rip off.

They sell it for 1000 on steam so idk why it is priced at 1300 on Amazon. 

12 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Maybe the price will eventually go down, but as of right now it's priced way too high for the casual gamer. I think I paid $240 for my Rift brand new a few months ago and am perfectly content with it.

On 8/12/2019 at 1:40 PM, TetraSky said:

If the $1,375.00 includes the cat I'm sold

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

Assuming you can find one and are in a country its sold

It would be really fun to see a blind test of the different refresh rates with the Valve Index.  There is already some tests done but not from a reliable source, what I can find anyway.

No Wireless is a dealbreaker for me.

I have the Wireless Vive module and I can't go back. It changes the game fundamentally and adds a whole new dimension of comfort, ease of use, and - well - easy of mind.

Unfortunately, as Linus said, the wireless technologies we currently have are nowhere near powerful enough to pump that resolution and framerate - and the technology we DO have isn't advancing anywhere; Intel SHUT DOWN their WiGig division, and I don't know of any other developments in nanometer wave technologies.

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

"1,375.00" for the full kit... hahahaha.

If you can afford it, good for you I guess... I was hoping VR would come down in price over time, so far it has only increased in prices.

In China, it probably cost like $100 - $300 USD.

1 minute ago, OlympicAssEater said:

In China, it probably cost like $100 - $300 USD.

in china its also a bootleg product most likely not the real thing, lower plastic quality, worse strap quality, etc...

thats like buying a chinese DX racer chair from china for 80$ vs 200$ from the company.

the one for 80 is actually made with cheaper material to the point that the bottom of the arm rests actually break before the top does and the pillow things arent as great either + a slight design change thats almost unnoticeable as well as lower quality seat that breaks apart after 6 months of use

@LinusTech I noticed you have good taste in ITX cases

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

That would be a fun thing to have, but I guess I would get lazy on putting the damn thing on an off all the time. And this week I already shot my pocket damn hard with a new 2080 Ti...

If you wait too long to buy yours, it will come with a dead cat.

1 hour ago, Neft said:

in china its also a bootleg product most likely not the real thing, lower plastic quality, worse strap quality, etc...

thats like buying a chinese DX racer chair from china for 80$ vs 200$ from the company.

the one for 80 is actually made with cheaper material to the point that the bottom of the arm rests actually break before the top does and the pillow things arent as great either + a slight design change thats almost unnoticeable as well as lower quality seat that breaks apart after 6 months of use

If you are buying from a Chinese tech company then I don't think it will be a fake product.

4 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

If you are buying from a Chinese tech company then I don't think it will be a fake product.

yea im still willing to bet its got something different vs the product in the US im actually confident enough to say that if its at a 300USD price point or lower that ill bet an entire year salary its going to be cheaper materials or feel different or maybe even have a lower resolution rate, not be packaged properly etc...

6 minutes ago, Neft said:

yea im still willing to bet its got something different vs the product in the US im actually confident enough to say that if its at a 300USD price point or lower that ill bet an entire year salary its going to be cheaper materials or feel different or maybe even have a lower resolution rate, not be packaged properly etc... 

You get what you pay for

But VR is not worth it for me. $1.3k for a full kit. Occult VR headset is $400 and HTC Vive is $500 @ Amazon. I can buy a good 7.1 sound system with that price of money or upgrade my GPU or build a home theater PC.

6 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

You get what you pay for

But VR is not worth it for me. $1.3k for a full kit. Occult VR headset is $400 and HTC Vive is $500 @ Amazon. I can buy a good 7.1 sound system with that price of money or upgrade my GPU or build a home theater PC.

its not worth it for me either, personally i wouldn't wipe my ass with this psuedo VR excuse they have out atm.

when full dive releases ill be one of the first in line to snatch it up

6 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

You get what you pay for

From Sweden here so sorry if I'm not up to date with US prising:

I guess that HTC Vive for $500 i new?  Why not buy used?   I just bought by second Htc Vive Pro 2.0 Full Kit for $209 (2000SEK).  Both sets I bought was hardly used.

1 minute ago, Kroon said:

From Sweden here so sorry if I'm not up to date with US prising:

I guess that HTC Vive for $500 i new?  Why not buy used?   I just bought by second Htc Vive Pro 2.0 Full Kit for $209 (2000SEK).  Both sets I bought was hardly used.

50/50 chance is a broken headset sell as new. I don't want go through the trouble of returning and getting refund back so I can purchase a brand new one instead. Plus, I don't know what the previous owner done with the headset( maybe some disgusting thing to the headset, you know?).

1 minute ago, OlympicAssEater said:

50/50 chance is a broken headset sell as new. I don't want go through the trouble of returning and getting refund back so I can purchase a brand new one instead. Plus, I don't know what the previous owner done with the headset( maybe some disgusting thing to the headset, you know?).

I test most of the items before I buy them.  And we have quite harsh laws here about selling broken items as working so that is not really a problem.

1 minute ago, Kroon said:

I test most of the items before I buy them.  And we have quite harsh laws here about selling broken items as working so that is not really a problem. 

Not in my case of buying through Amazon and Ebay.

5 hours ago, steelo said:

Maybe the price will eventually go down, but as of right now it's priced way too high for the casual gamer. I think I paid $240 for my Rift brand new a few months ago and am perfectly content with it.

The thing is the Casual gamers have the Rift/Touch system for entry, or even WMR headsets at sub $200.  Then you have your mid ranged sets, in the 600-800 range, and finally enthusiast models up in the 1k range (vive pro, pimax, index)... but the prices kinda scale with the gaming rig you would have and need to run them at those higher resolutions and frame rates comfortably.  If you're the kind of person who's sitting on a 3000 dollar gaming rig with a monster GPU, you'll be looking at high end.  If you got your gaming rig on a budget for 800, you'll be looking at the entry end of VR.

I'm really looking forward to these coming to Canada

Looking at these ridiculous prices for what is still essentially a gimmick, I can't help but wonder about what goes on in the heads of people who make VR products.

I mean, you'd think they'd be trying to make VR cheaper and therefore more accessible to the average consumer, which would in turn inspire game developers to actually make big VR games people couldn't wait to play, but instead they just seem to be making it more and more expensive. wat

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.