How much GPU do I need?

theoflow

Hey all,

I inherited an older computer from a relative and plan on updating some of the parts to use at my parents place when I pet sit. At my apartment I have a better machine, but when I'm visiting I'd like to game a little bit to pass the time.

The machine was already a franken build out of an old lenovo thinkcenter. It is an i5 with a Corei5 with 8GB RAM and Windows 10

I have an old SAPPHIRE DUAL-X Radeon R9 280 that I was going to throw in there.

My question is, with the 580's dropping to $150, would it be too much GPU for this type of system? I don't mind spending the money, but don't want to waste it.

The system will be running on an old DELL ULTRASHARP 2408WFP.

Thanks,

What games?

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, theoflow said:

Hey all,

I inherited an older computer from a relative and plan on updating some of the parts to use at my parents place when I pet sit. At my apartment I have a better machine, but when I'm visiting I'd like to game a little bit to pass the time.

The machine was already a franken build out of an old lenovo thinkcenter. It is an i5 with a Corei5 with 8GB RAM and Windows 10

I have an old SAPPHIRE DUAL-X Radeon R9 280 that I was going to throw in there.

My question is, with the 580's dropping to $150, would it be too much GPU for this type of system? I don't mind spending the money, but don't want to waste it.

The system will be running on an old DELL ULTRASHARP 2408WFP.

Thanks,

which exact cpu? How old?

depending on which i5 you have, it should handle an RX580 just fine and should definitely be an upgrade. Just make sure you have a good PSU to power it all. 

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

8 minutes ago, Mad153 said:

What games?

To kill time, just some Star Craft 2, but I do like playing Titanfall 2 from time to time. 

My older Core2 Duo system wouldn't even let me play it.

I'm not gonna play AAA games from the past 2 years on it, I have my home computer for that.

8 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

which exact cpu? How old?

I think it is a 2500x series i5. I have to check back on Tuesday when I drop by again

15 minutes ago, theoflow said:

It is an i5 with a Corei5

wow, they make those !? :)

10 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

depending on which i5 you have, it should handle an RX580 just fine and should definitely be an upgrade. Just make sure you have a good PSU to power it all. 

I have a 700W Corsair laying around from a previous build. Thanks

1 minute ago, theoflow said:

I have a 700W Corsair laying around from a previous build. Thanks

Yea, that should all be just fine. The 2000 series i5s are still being used by a lot of people today, just recently is starting to hit it's limits. I wouldn't worry about that setup especially for older games.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

38 minutes ago, chen57 said:

wow, they make those !? :)

lol...whoops...when multitasking isn't really a thing.

I think it is a 2300x series something. Have to check on Tuesday.