why you SHOULDN'T buy a Seasonic Focus (Plus) (Gold/Platinum)

15 minutes ago, angelspitz said:

Hi, is it safe to buy this one? Can't find what year this was made or what version it is.

this is FX, so the old version

good to buy unless you got one of the problematic GPUs listed here

2 hours ago, Max1996LTT said:

Apparently, it's from 2017. But let's ask @LukeSavenije

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

Thank you both! Sadly, I have a 1080 Ti so i'll just look for a different PSU.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 1:47 PM, LukeSavenije said:

My Box here says Focus GM-650. But on the back of the box the part number/model says SSR-650FM. Is mine okay? Confused why the part name is FM....Running a 2070 Super with ryzen 3600.  

Thank you!

14 hours ago, Expersword said:

My Box here says Focus GM-650. But on the back of the box the part number/model says SSR-650FM. Is mine okay?

Yes, if it's GM on the front side of the box then that's GM, Seasonic just didn't care enough to change SKU names too to reflect changes to naming scheme.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

7 hours ago, gamer from the 3rd world said:

So the seasonic gm-750 80 plus gold iisn't good?

It is, in fact, really good and shouldn't have problems mentioned in this thread.

• 2 months later...

@LukeSavenije Sorry for bothering you, I bought Seasonic Focus (not plus) PX 850w. Is this one fine? If so, did it fix all of the issues that were mentioned or some are still there? Thank you.

I am buying a new PSU. I can get a good deal on a SS Focus GX-850W Gold. Now I know this model includes the fix's but is it a good psu to buy or should I get a Corsair rmx 750 instead. I also wonder if SS have done anything about the length of the EPS cable, I recall Luke saying it was a tad short.

I bought a Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series 650W 80+ Gold and my computer would not turn on via front power button? M/b light was on that;s it. Put my old seasonic 750W fx or something and it would work np? Store tested psu and said all readings were still good?

On 8/6/2020 at 9:12 AM, Ivan587 said:

@LukeSavenije Sorry for bothering you, I bought Seasonic Focus (not plus) PX 850w. Is this one fine? If so, did it fix all of the issues that were mentioned or some are still there? Thank you.

PX with the new housing is the Focus V3 revision, so you're likely good

12 hours ago, Uberwolf said:

I am buying a new PSU. I can get a good deal on a SS Focus GX-850W Gold. Now I know this model includes the fix's but is it a good psu to buy or should I get a Corsair rmx 750 instead. I also wonder if SS have done anything about the length of the EPS cable, I recall Luke saying it was a tad short.

it was short for me personally, but should be just long enough to fit in most mid-tower cases regardless... I would prefer RMx over Focus though, since the fancurve on RMx is better

Thank you guys, really appreciate the feedback, this one had my head spinning.

Hi @LukeSavenije! i came across this thread and suddenly got alarmed cause i have this exact PSU, the seasonic focus plus gold (SSR-850FX), which i bought last june 2018. i hooked it up to an RTX 2080 super (without knowledge of this issue) but it worked out fine. (turns out GPU had issues which is not related to PSU so had to return it and decide to hold off from buying a gpu till 3000 series drops

im planning on getting a 3000 series GPU, do you think i should replace this PSU before getting a 3000 series gpu or should i just stick with it? 

Surprising question I just got GX850 and PX850 on amazon So which one should i keep

Seasonic Focus PX-850, 850W 80+ Platinum Full-Modular, Fan Control in Fanless, Silent, and Cooling Mode, 10 Year Warranty, Perfect Power Supply for Gaming and Various Application, SSR-850PX.

• 3 weeks later...

same here just bought the PX-550 was going to buy the corsair Corsair RMx Series RM650x, the Px was a little cheaper and platinum, am i still good with this?

Welk this really grinds my gears. Used to own a m21ii and when I read about he group-regulated issues I decided to buy a new one. This was back in 2018 and I decided on the 650w focus plus gold... Here's to hoping the issue will not show itself with the 3070 and 3080 I guess. 

(Has been fine with my 2060)

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

On 8/12/2020 at 4:51 PM, Brandon9997 said:

im planning on getting a 3000 series GPU, do you think i should replace this PSU before getting a 3000 series gpu or should i just stick with it? 

I can't predict how transient heavy the GPU will be... so not really an answer

9 hours ago, andjayik said:

same here just bought the PX-550 was going to buy the corsair Corsair RMx Series RM650x, the Px was a little cheaper and platinum, am i still good with this?

if you bought the "new" PX, not a big deal, if you bought the old PX, you might want to look into what revision/date it is

7 hours ago, martward said:

Here's to hoping the issue will not show itself with the 3070 and 3080 I guess. 

again, hard to say

I was interested in this unit until I stumbled across this thread via a Google Search.

Would this PSU be safe to purchase? How I determine the revision date?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w-seasonic-focus-px-750-80plus-platinum-single-rail-fully-modular-62a-120mm-fan-atx-psu

Or should I avoid and go for an alternative? My requirements are a 750W platinum unit which is quiet.

2 hours ago, OZJZERO said:

I was interested in this unit until I stumbled across this thread via a Google Search.

Would this PSU be safe to purchase? How I determine the revision date?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w-seasonic-focus-px-750-80plus-platinum-single-rail-fully-modular-62a-120mm-fan-atx-psu

Or should I avoid and go for an alternative? My requirements are a 750W platinum unit which is quiet.

It's renewed series which has the issues discussed in this thread fixed, it's safe.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

@LukeSavenije

I've read that the NZXT C series is based on the Focus Plus Gold series. Does that mean it has the same issues? 

I was planning on getting an c850 in anticipation of the RTX 3080 but am worried about the quality of the PSU.

EDIT: Never mind its based on the Focus GX series with changes to the primary switching FETs and the bulk cap

@LukeSavenije

I just ordered an Antec Earthwatt Gold Pro 750(Based on Seasonic Focus Gold) its a 2020 Manufactured unit. Should I worry about it?

My pc uses a 1660s with a Ryzen 3500

• AMD Ryzen 7 5700X Stock
  • B550 Aorus Elite V2 Rev1.2
  • G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600Mhz 32gb (8gb x4)
  • MSI Mech 2X RX6600
  • Deepcool AK620 WH
  • Deepcool CK500 WH
  • Kingston A2000 250gb + WD Blue 1tb HDD, Sn550 1tb + MX500 1000gb
  • Antec EAG Pro 750 80+G
  • Benq Mobiuz EX2510 144Hz

went to my other thread

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, RR94IND said:

I just ordered an Antec Earthwatt Gold Pro 750(Based on Seasonic Focus Gold) its a 2020 Manufactured unit. Should I worry about it?

It's fine. Late 2019 and later, the Earthwatts Gold Pro should be using the new GX which completely fixes the old problem. The only thing wrong with the EA Gold Pro is the OPP is set too high, if I recall correctly, which is why on the Tier List, it's tier A low priority.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

53 minutes ago, _DeXTeR_ said:

Have anyone of you ever checked your electricity in houses :)

Makes sense

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

2 hours ago, RR94IND said:

@LukeSavenije

no worries, 1660s doesn't nearly have the transients to trip a focus v1, if you even get one of those since the chance is very minor