why you SHOULDN'T buy a Seasonic Focus (Plus) (Gold/Platinum)

just giving  my 2 cent. i had no issue with my psu and the parts with it. which are beefy .

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Bought the first 750W model of Focus Plus Gold´ as soon as it came available.

Edit: It turned off under load instead of not turning on at all.

I edit my posts more often than not

7 minutes ago, Tadej Danev said:

So what did you do with Seasonic? RMA or got money back?

i don't have one myself, this is all based of digital research

Ok, now I'm kind of ticked off. I just (last night) ordered a GX-750 (Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750) after extensive consulting of the PSU guide and review reading, all saying it was A-Tier and a great PSU. After a browser update refreshed the PSU guide it referred me to a newer version of the guide, and that guide also says that the GX is A-Tier. Then I see this thread and it tells me the FOCUS Plus Gold is garbage and I just wasted my money... WTF?!?

Is it good or not?! If it's so much junk why is it on the A-Tier list? I could have easily purchased a Corsair RMx unit (I have a RM550x in another machine), but thought I'd go with a Seasonic this time after hearing so many good things. This PSU is supposed to run my new Ryzen box (with a RX5700XT or similar) which I hope to upgrade to a 16-core in the future, so I need a solid one. Do I refuse delivery (can I do that with NE?)? or is the GX ok now?

2 hours ago, Jammer7373 said:

or is the GX ok now?

for once... fx is not gx. these things are about the fx.

for the gx they shouldn't have the problems, but there are officially no third party results out yet

• 3 weeks later...

So Im planning to upgrade my GPU to a RX 5700 but that thread made me unsure if my Focus Plus Gold 550W can handle it. I have a Ryzen 5 3600. Should I change my PSU or will it be fine? I bought it around July 2019 from amazon.

6 minutes ago, kmangod said:

So Im planning to upgrade my GPU to a RX 5700 but that thread made me unsure if my Focus Plus Gold 550W can handle it. I have a Ryzen 5 3600. Should I change my PSU or will it be fine? I bought it around July 2019 from amazon.

shouldn't get to the point the ripple issues happen, so should be fine

I bought my Seasonic focus plus gold 550W July of 2018 from Newegg along with a Ryzen 5 1600 and a GTX 980, and my monitor loses signal when my computer is under heavy load. Is it the PSU's fault?

3 hours ago, francis_d132435 said:

I bought my Seasonic focus plus gold 550W July of 2018 from Newegg along with a Ryzen 5 1600 and a GTX 980, and my monitor loses signal when my computer is under heavy load. Is it the PSU's fault?

if the pc immediately shuts down like you would pull out the power, then it might be

if this is the case i'd suggest to contact seasonic for RMA

On 11/19/2019 at 9:37 PM, LukeSavenije said:

if the pc immediately shuts down like you would pull out the power, then it might be

if this is the case i'd suggest to contact seasonic for RMA

The fans and leds are still on, but there is no signal. I initially thought it was a GPU problem.

1 hour ago, francis_d132435 said:

The fans and leds are still on, but there is no signal. I initially thought it was a GPU problem.

then it's unlikely to be the psu

if the protection triggers those leds don't burn, as it cuts power completely

I confirm the issue with Seasonic Focus Gold and Vega 56 - my friend had the problem. Although Seasonic helps/replaces such PSUs, for some countries it requires shipping abroad.

1 hour ago, Tadej Danev said:

even with new Focus GX series? I have 1060 6GB safe?

theoretically not

in reality still no reviews

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2019 at 7:19 PM, LukeSavenije said:

Old revisions (2017-2018) will shut off on some GPUs (970, 1080 ti, vega 64, 2080 ti). it'll will trigger the overpower protection, and will shut down immediately.

New revisions (2018-2019) have a bigger headroom, but aren't built for it and start to ripple at the loads where the PSU would shut down at with the older revision

something doesn't add up here 

• the old 750w version had OPP set at 1014.96W (135.3%) and that is considered a very high set point 
  • the new 750w version that Mufasa reviewed experienced out of spec ripple at 900w (120%) which is not that high considering up to 125% is common 

so either the problem existed in the previous model as well and not just exclusive to the new version  , or Mufasa just had faulty equipment or unit .  120% is a very common setpoint for OPP so the problem(if it exists) wont be solved by setting OPP at a lower value as the device wont be able to handle transient spikes of high end GPU's properly 

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

• 5 weeks later...

FOCUS PX-750 (SSR-750PX) 2019 have any problems with overpower protection or ripple?

1 minute ago, JackSparrow35 said:

FOCUS PX-750 (SSR-750PX) 2019 have any problems with overpower protection or ripple?

as far as current testing goes, no

Ordered on February 12, 2019
Seasonic Focus Plus Series SSR-650FX 650W

zero issues with a 3700x and 2070 super

Edit: I'm using cable mod cables.

On 2/4/2020 at 12:25 AM, ShoByte said:

Seasonic Focus Plus Series SSR-650FX 650W

zero issues with a 3700x and 2070 super

sounds about right, since the 2070 super has mild transients.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I have a Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro Series EA750G Pro 750W.

Want to upgrade from a Vega 56 to 5700XT.

Should I get a different PSU too?

Don't want to be among the many blank screen users. 

6 minutes ago, AshamedGanache said:

Don't want to be among the many blank screen users. 

if anything, the vega would've caused those easier than a 5700xt

since you already have it, keep it

So the Riotoro Enigma G2 is based off the Season Focus Plus FX platform, has that been modified in some way so the ripple issues don't occur as badly? Just wondering as the Riotoro is still A category in the tier list.

6 minutes ago, rtyall said:

So the Riotoro Enigma G2 is based off the Season Focus Plus FX platform, has that been modified in some way so the ripple issues don't occur as badly? Just wondering as the Riotoro is still A category in the tier list.

it has it's opp/ocp set below the ripple problematic load, around 110%

the ripple issues occur at 120%