Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
d00m1ord

microsoft surface not charging

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

so I have a Microsoft surface and I have it plugged in and the light on the connector is on but for some reason it isn't charging. when I boot it up and look at the battery icon it shows that it is plugged in however when I click on it to see more details it says it is plugged in but not charging.

 

any ideas?

 

thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a feature present on many laptops, designed to keep the battery in the devices at good health.

Basically, it comes down to the fact that many charging cycles is bad for the battery, so certain features will make it so the device will just run of the mains, instead of the battery (and thus not charge the device).

 

This used to be a feature you enable/disable in the UEFI BIOS of your Surface, but just double check in the system tray if there is some sort of icon for this


"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"How can someone win if winning means that someone loses" - Scatman John

"64 bits, 32 bits, 16 bits, 8 bits, 4 bits, 2 BITS, 1 BIT, HALF BIT, QUARTER BIT, THE WRIST GAAAAAAME!!!" - Angry Video Game Nerd

Gear:                           .                                                                                                                         .

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 || Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz (running at 2933Mhz) || GPU: Gigabyte Auros RX 580 4GB || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Cooling: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || PSU: Corsair RMx 750W

Peripherals:

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm || Mouse: Roccat Kiro || Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Mousepad: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL || Graphics tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen Small

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Minibois' Digital Art Thread

Reviews: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB || Wacom Intuos Pen Small || Roccat Kiro

Threads: Pokémon Thread || Dutch Talk || Super Smash Bros. Melee Thread

Setup: Current setup

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, d00m1ord said:

any ideas?

Try turning it off completely and see if it starts charging then. If it still doesn't change, the battery has probably gone bad.


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

On what % is ur battery 

0% if I unplug it then it turns of instantly

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, d00m1ord said:

0% if I unplug it then it turns of instantly

Thats bad so we can be sure its NOT a Batterie safty thing ^^ What surface pro Model is it ? A newer or older one the Problem is if ur Batterie is really dead its very hard to replace surface pros are awful to repair do u have another charger to test ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

Thats bad so we can be sure its NOT a Batterie safty thing ^^ What surface pro Model is it ? A newer or older one the Problem is if ur Batterie is really dead its very hard to replace surface pros are awful to repair do u have another charger to test ? 

it is a surface pro 4 and it was working perfectly before I went away for 2 weeks and when I came home yesterday and went to boot it up it wasn't charged despite being plugged in and unfortunately I don't have another charger to try

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, d00m1ord said:

0%

Dont ever let that happen to rechargeable batteries...


Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

 

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Dont ever let that happen to rechargeable batteries...

I went away for 2 weeks and it didn't charge when it was plugged in

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, d00m1ord said:

it is a surface pro 4 and it was working perfectly before I went away for 2 weeks and when I came home yesterday and went to boot it up it wasn't charged despite being plugged in and unfortunately I don't have another charger to try

 

Well f*k ^^ Do u know someone that could let u try his/her charger so u can be sure its the Battery thats toast. I mean u can replace the Battery of a surface pro 4 urself but its hard like REALLY hard cause u have to get the screen of with heat >_> The Battery itself is not that expensive

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

Well f*k ^^ Do u know someone that could let u try his/her charger so u can be sure its the Battery thats toast. I mean u can replace the Battery of a surface pro 4 urself but its hard like REALLY hard cause u have to get the screen of with heat >_> The Battery itself is not that expensive

 

I don't know anyone with a charger so that isn't an option for me unfortunately. How likely is it to be the charger and not the battery when the charger is providing power to the device but just isn't charging it?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, d00m1ord said:

I don't know anyone with a charger so that isn't an option for me unfortunately. How likely is it to be the charger and not the battery when the charger is providing power to the device but just isn't charging it?

 

unlikely but not impossible maybe just buy a charger off amazon if it does not work well just send it back but if it does it safes u alot of trouble ^^ 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
26 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

unlikely but not impossible maybe just buy a charger off amazon if it does not work well just send it back but if it does it safes u alot of trouble ^^ 

ok thanks ill try it finger crossed it works

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×