microsoft surface not charging

d00m1ord

so I have a Microsoft surface and I have it plugged in and the light on the connector is on but for some reason it isn't charging. when I boot it up and look at the battery icon it shows that it is plugged in however when I click on it to see more details it says it is plugged in but not charging.

any ideas?

thanks in advance

This is a feature present on many laptops, designed to keep the battery in the devices at good health.

Basically, it comes down to the fact that many charging cycles is bad for the battery, so certain features will make it so the device will just run of the mains, instead of the battery (and thus not charge the device).

This used to be a feature you enable/disable in the UEFI BIOS of your Surface, but just double check in the system tray if there is some sort of icon for this

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8 minutes ago, d00m1ord said:

any ideas?

Try turning it off completely and see if it starts charging then. If it still doesn't change, the battery has probably gone bad.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

10 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

On what % is ur battery 

0% if I unplug it then it turns of instantly

Just now, d00m1ord said:

0% if I unplug it then it turns of instantly

Thats bad so we can be sure its NOT a Batterie safty thing ^^ What surface pro Model is it ? A newer or older one the Problem is if ur Batterie is really dead its very hard to replace surface pros are awful to repair do u have another charger to test ? 

8 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

Thats bad so we can be sure its NOT a Batterie safty thing ^^ What surface pro Model is it ? A newer or older one the Problem is if ur Batterie is really dead its very hard to replace surface pros are awful to repair do u have another charger to test ? 

it is a surface pro 4 and it was working perfectly before I went away for 2 weeks and when I came home yesterday and went to boot it up it wasn't charged despite being plugged in and unfortunately I don't have another charger to try

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Dont ever let that happen to rechargeable batteries...

I went away for 2 weeks and it didn't charge when it was plugged in

18 minutes ago, d00m1ord said:

it is a surface pro 4 and it was working perfectly before I went away for 2 weeks and when I came home yesterday and went to boot it up it wasn't charged despite being plugged in and unfortunately I don't have another charger to try

Well f*k ^^ Do u know someone that could let u try his/her charger so u can be sure its the Battery thats toast. I mean u can replace the Battery of a surface pro 4 urself but its hard like REALLY hard cause u have to get the screen of with heat >_> The Battery itself is not that expensive

5 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

Well f*k ^^ Do u know someone that could let u try his/her charger so u can be sure its the Battery thats toast. I mean u can replace the Battery of a surface pro 4 urself but its hard like REALLY hard cause u have to get the screen of with heat >_> The Battery itself is not that expensive

I don't know anyone with a charger so that isn't an option for me unfortunately. How likely is it to be the charger and not the battery when the charger is providing power to the device but just isn't charging it?

1 minute ago, d00m1ord said:

I don't know anyone with a charger so that isn't an option for me unfortunately. How likely is it to be the charger and not the battery when the charger is providing power to the device but just isn't charging it?

unlikely but not impossible maybe just buy a charger off amazon if it does not work well just send it back but if it does it safes u alot of trouble ^^ 

26 minutes ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

unlikely but not impossible maybe just buy a charger off amazon if it does not work well just send it back but if it does it safes u alot of trouble ^^ 

ok thanks ill try it finger crossed it works