CPU Upgrade

Hey guys.I'm planning on upgrading my cpu from an i5 6600K to an 8700k, but on PC Part Picker, it says the 8700k and my motherboard (Asus Z170 - A) are not compatible even though the 8700k is LGA 1151. Is this true? Thanks. 

You cannot use an 8700K on Z170. You need a new motherboard.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, l_zheng101 said:

it says the 8700k and my motherboard (Asus Z170 - A) are not compatible even though the 8700k is LGA 1151. Is this true? Thanks. 

Yes that's true, your board uses LGA 1151 'V1' and the 8700K only supports LGA 1151 'V2'. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Yes that's true, your board uses LGA 1151 'V1' and the 8700K only supports LGA 1151 'V2'. 

Awe nuts!!!

The 8700K and 6600K are both LGA 1151, but 8th and 9th gen chips are more like 'LGA 1151v2'. They only work with 300-series boards.

Best chip you can throw into your board is a 7700K, a 4c8t chip with some more single core performance than your current chip.

But Ryzen 3000 seems to have more cores and some more single core performance too. (but you would need a new board for that though)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 hours ago, Genwyn said:

Id like to throw in here that you technically can run 8th gen stuff on Z170 with a bios mod and physical pad mod on the CPU.

Some asrock boards support it and once again "technically" others can to, its just a matter of finding the right modifications for the specific board.

https://community.hwbot.org/topic/175489-asrock-z170-mocf-lives-on-coffee-lake-mods/

For someone asking why a 8700k wouldn't work on a Z170 chipset, do you really think that comment is relevant? He won't be flashing any third party bios really.

Not to mention that if he's willing to get a Z370/Z390 board, I'd say go with 3000 series Ryzen instead.

8 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

For someone asking why a 8700k wouldn't work on a Z170 chipset, do you really think that comment is relevant? He won't be flashing any third party bios really.

Not to mention that if he's willing to get a Z370/Z390 board, I'd say go with 3000 series Ryzen instead.

Just bought a Z370 Prime motherboard from Asus so ya, no bios mods for me.

1 minute ago, l_zheng101 said:

Just bought a Z370 Prime motherboard from Asus so ya, no bios mods for me.

Hope you are enjoying. The Prime is probably the best bang for the bag Asus has to offer.

Just now, HumdrumPenguin said:

Hope you are enjoying. The Prime is probably the best bang for the bag Asus has to offer.

Thanks. Decided to spend the extra $10 for a 9700k instead. 

Just now, l_zheng101 said:

Thanks. Decided to spend the extra $10 for a 9700k instead. 

Not sure how hot the 9700k runs, but I get somewhat high temps sometimes on a 9900k even while using a 360 rad. Think of a nice cooling solution for later on and you'll be able to get a nice overclock out of it (if you so decide to do it).

9 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Not sure how hot the 9700k runs, but I get somewhat high temps sometimes on a 9900k even while using a 360 rad. Think of a nice cooling solution for later on and you'll be able to get a nice overclock out of it (if you so decide to do it).

Bought a Noctua NH-U14S, but I want to get a custom loop later down the road.

How are you liking the 9700k?  Did you OC it?  I recently finished my system, custom loop and delided 8700k.  I OC’d it to 5.0ghz @1.3v (69-70 degrees celcius on 10 hours of prime95) which I think isnt bad.  Probably could push it more.  

1 minute ago, SiCkHiTrEg said:

How are you liking the 9700k?  Did you OC it?  I recently finished my system, custom loop and delided 8700k.  I OC’d it to 5.0ghz @1.3v (69-70 degrees celcius on 10 hours of prime95) which I think isnt bad.  Probably could push it more.  

I actually ordered the 8700k instead of the 9700k because the 8700k has hyperthreading. I just ordered it today.

6 minutes ago, l_zheng101 said:

I actually ordered the 8700k instead of the 9700k because the 8700k has hyperthreading. I just ordered it today.

Oh nice. When are you planning on doing the custom loop?  I literally just finished my first custom loop with rigid tubing.  Was a challenge but in the end cant complain how it turned out.

DE4A14EB-766F-483A-9D83-43FEA343B244.jpeg

2 minutes ago, SiCkHiTrEg said:

Oh nice. When are you planning on doing the custom loop?  I literally just finished my first custom loop with rigid tubing.  Was a challenge but in the end cant complain how it turned out.

That looks dope. Not sure when because I need to do a gpu upgrade first (running an R9 390 right now). Probably will wait until Black Friday to buy a new GPU. 

4 minutes ago, l_zheng101 said:

That looks dope. Not sure when because I need to do a gpu upgrade first (running an R9 390 right now). Probably will wait until Black Friday to buy a new GPU. 

What gpu are you thinking?  Are you going top of the line with a 2080ti or a 1080ti?  Or looking at something else?

Just now, SiCkHiTrEg said:

What gpu are you thinking?  Are you going top of the line with a 2080ti or a 1080ti?  Or looking at something else?

Don't really know right now. GPU pricing is still all over the place, and I'm still not sure how I feel about the new super editions of all the 20 series cards.

4 minutes ago, l_zheng101 said:

Don't really know right now. GPU pricing is still all over the place, and I'm still not sure how I feel about the new super editions of all the 20 series cards.

I think they are the best cards out right now and whats unfortunate is you cant even find new 1080ti’s cheaper either.  I went with a 1080ti because at the time only regular 2080’s were out and they seemed to have a ton of issues.  If I was to get a card now I’d go with one of the 2080ti’s or supers.