Best SSD between these two Samsung

mRoy62
Go to solution Solved by TomvanWijnen,
23 minutes ago, mRoy62 said:

Just reading a little more on the fact that the NVMe drives generate a lot more heat than regular SSDs. I know that managing the airflow in the case will keep them cool, but that heat has to go somewhere and I’m trying to minimize the PC becoming an additional big heat generating device in my small office (which gets hot during summer). It this really that big a deal in terms of the expelled heat.

According to https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-970-Evo-Plus-SSD-NVMe-M-2-Review.397171.0.html (first link I quickly found) it uses at most like 6 watts. For comparison, many CPUs can use more than 100 watts, many GPUs even double that. 6 watts is peanuts - and regular SSDs use some power too, so the power is nothing to worry about. :)

I was configuring a build and noticed these two SSDs are the same price. Given one is NVMe would that be a better buy than the non-NVMe?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/M9rmP6/samsung-860-evo-500gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-n6e500bw

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/P4ZFf7/samsung-970-evo-500gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v7e500bw

Am I missing something?

Martin

Hi,

if they're the same price and you have a M.2 PCIe 3.0x4 slot on your motherboard, go for the 970.

But

If you're willing to go with someone else than Samsung, then Kingston, Corsair, WD, and Seagate have very compelling options that might have better price/capacity.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

28 minutes ago, mRoy62 said:

Given one is NVMe would that be a better buy than the non-NVMe?

Yes the 970 EVO is far superior, i'm really confused why they're priced the same. but as @Mr.Humble said, make sure you have an M.2 PCIe slot on your Motherboard

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Just reading a little more on the fact that the NVMe drives generate a lot more heat than regular SSDs. I know that managing the airflow in the case will keep them cool, but that heat has to go somewhere and I’m trying to minimize the PC becoming an additional big heat generating device in my small office (which gets hot during summer). It this really that big a deal in terms of the expelled heat.

23 minutes ago, mRoy62 said:

According to https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-970-Evo-Plus-SSD-NVMe-M-2-Review.397171.0.html (first link I quickly found) it uses at most like 6 watts. For comparison, many CPUs can use more than 100 watts, many GPUs even double that. 6 watts is peanuts - and regular SSDs use some power too, so the power is nothing to worry about. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Better question is why are you even considering Samsung when there are cheaper Phison E12/SMI SM2262/EN based drives

On 8/11/2019 at 10:00 PM, hello_there_123 said:

Better question is why are you even considering Samsung when there are cheaper Phison E12/SMI SM2262/EN based drives

Perhaps you could help me understand the benefits of Phison? I am not an expert at this, but it seems the Samsung drives are consistently rated very highly. For me, spending a few extra dollars for peace of mind and quality is worth it.

1 minute ago, mRoy62 said:

Perhaps you could help me understand the benefits of Phison? I am not an expert at this, but it seems the Samsung drives are consistently rated very highly. For me, spending a few extra dollars for peace of mind and quality is worth it.

Phison E12 and SMI SM2262/EN based drive , like the Corsair mp510 , inland premium , sabrent rocket , HP ex920/950 , adata sx8200/pro , etc. tend to be much cheaper than samsung 970 evo/plus , for noticeably similar performance , to the end user.

If you want peace of mind then go for it , i can,t really change your mind there , but i will say that there is absolutely zero indication that samsung 970 plus/evo have better reliability than the drives i mention before. Likewise , the opposite is true , as we have zero data on failure rates. 

4 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

Phison E12 and SMI SM2262/EN based drive , like the Corsair mp510 , inland premium , sabrent rocket , HP ex920/950 , adata sx8200/pro , etc. tend to be much cheaper than samsung 970 evo/plus , for noticeably similar performance , to the end user.

If you want peace of mind then go for it , i can,t really change your mind there , but i will say that there is absolutely zero indication that samsung 970 plus/evo have better reliability than the drives i mention before. Likewise , the opposite is true , as we have zero data on failure rates. 

Thanks, I’ll check them out.