Cannot Install Ubuntu while BIOS is in Intel RST Mode!

Go to solution Solved by Sauron,
5 minutes ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

I don't have a optane module though. It's just a nvme ssd 512gb one from kingston that came preinstalled from the factory. From the factory, it came configured with that Intel RST premium thingy that is causing all the problem. Intel instead of letting the user work in peace is coming up with weird names and weird configurations to make the user experience hell. The problem now is that if i change the sata configuration to AHCI, ubuntu will detect the partition, but windows won't boot because of the Intel Rapid Storage technology shit installed. 

Oh? I thought you said you had optane.

4 hours ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

with Intel optane

If you don't I guess you could just disable it and forget about it.

3 minutes ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

I'll just buy a 2.5 inch 1TB SSD from out, resize it down for ubuntu and try to install it to that. Till that time, it means that i'll have to rely on the virtual machine.

Depending on what Windows programs you need you might have some luck with Wine if you go for Linux only.

Anyway if you have problems passing a usb drive to the VM that might be worth troubleshooting.

This is a problem as i cannot install Ubuntu to my 512gb ssd. The bios on my Asus Vivobook 15 X512FL is currently set with sata configuration as Intel RST Premium with Intel optane system acceleration. When I shrink my partition for ubuntu and i boot into the installer, it does not see the free space i created. After some reading, i discovered that ubuntu will not work unless your bios is in AHCI mode. So i changed my sata configuration to AHCI only to have more headache. Windows will not boot. After changing it back to the intel rst mode, windows boots fine. But, i cannot dual boot my laptop. Below are the specs for it: -

Intel Core i7 8565U

8GB Ram

512GB Kingston NVMe SSD PCIe X2 SSD (1 Slot available to add an additional 2.5 inch Hard Drive/SSD)

GeForce MX250 2GB GDDR5

So, any linux users or any hardware people who can help me to install ubuntu to my drive. And if i don't want to install ubuntu without changing the sata mode, will i be able to install ubuntu to a 2.5 inch ssd if i add one into it. It is actually crucial to use ubuntu as im doing my IT engineering and my college computers are all ubuntu based. So, will i be able to use ubuntu on the additional drive if i decide to install one into the laptop or will i have to change the sata mode and then try? Asus had provided the bracket and the cable to install a 2.5 inch drive in the box of the laptop.

1 minute ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

It is actually crucial to use ubuntu as im doing my IT engineering and my college computers are all ubuntu based.

You could always use a virtual machine. But to answer your question, you'd probably still need to set the bios in AHCI mode unless it has separate settings for the sata drive. A possible workaround would be to install Ubuntu on an external usb drive and boot from that, it shouldn't give you the same issues in that case. If you have any USB driver lying around you can try on that and if it works get something faster like an SSD with a USB adapter. And once you have that you could just try using it in the internal slot just in case - if it doesn't work you can use it via USB as planned.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

You could always use a virtual machine. But to answer your question, you'd probably still need to set the bios in AHCI mode unless it has separate settings for the sata drive. A possible workaround would be to install Ubuntu on an external usb drive and boot from that, it shouldn't give you the same issues in that case. If you have any USB driver lying around you can try on that and if it works get something faster like an SSD with a USB adapter. And once you have that you could just try using it in the internal slot just in case - if it doesn't work you can use it via USB as planned.

I already tried using the external Samsung T5 SSD and it was not a good experience. The ubuntu install was laggy even on a external SSD. Might be due to a corrupt installation media i guess. As far as virtual machine goes, i need to pass my USB drives to the VM but the VM was not detecting them. I would really like linux to be installed on my main drive. I can't even nuke my windows install as some of the programs like autocad are being used extensively.
How about using the windows subsystem for linux? i have heard of it but never tried it

You would probably need to set up the bios in a way that allows Ubuntu to recognize the drive, then reinstall Windows and then install Ubuntu alongside it. Also be aware that dual booting on the same drive isn't a great idea, Windows likes to nuke the bootloader when it updates making the Linux installation inaccessible. Also I would expect Optane to give you problems, Intel doesn't support Linux very well for that.

1 hour ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

How about using the windows subsystem for linux? i have heard of it but never tried it

Depends on what you need, you won't get a GUI (you can install an X server in Windows but it gets messy very quickly, might as well use a VM).

1 hour ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

The ubuntu install was laggy even on a external SSD.

Would you be able to install that SSD internally to see if that helps? Usually those are just sata drives in an adapter enclosure.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Depends on what you need, you won't get a GUI (you can install an X server in Windows but it gets messy very quickly, might as well use a VM).

Ouch! I though microsoft started loving linux for once.

12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Would you be able to install that SSD internally to see if that helps? Usually those are just sata drives in an adapter enclosure.

Actually, no. Its a USB-C based drive with just a USB-A to USB-C cable. And plus i cannot open up the drive. I will try to buy an SSD from out and install it to that and check it out. It's this intel RST thingy that is giving me a headache

14 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Also I would expect Optane to give you problems, Intel doesn't support Linux very well for that.

I don't have a optane module though. It's just a nvme ssd 512gb one from kingston that came preinstalled from the factory. From the factory, it came configured with that Intel RST premium thingy that is causing all the problem. Intel instead of letting the user work in peace is coming up with weird names and weird configurations to make the user experience hell. The problem now is that if i change the sata configuration to AHCI, ubuntu will detect the partition, but windows won't boot because of the Intel Rapid Storage technology shit installed. 

19 minutes ago, Sauron said:

dual booting on the same drive isn't a great idea, Windows likes to nuke the bootloader when it updates making the Linux installation inaccessible.

Microsoft stuff. I'm already familiar with that on my old laptop. 

20 minutes ago, Sauron said:

You would probably need to set up the bios in a way that allows Ubuntu to recognize the drive, then reinstall Windows and then install Ubuntu alongside it. Also be aware that dual booting on the same drive isn't a great idea, Windows likes to nuke the bootloader when it updates making the Linux installation inaccessible. Also I would expect Optane to give you problems, Intel doesn't support Linux very well for that.

I'll just buy a 2.5 inch 1TB SSD from out, resize it down for ubuntu and try to install it to that. Till that time, it means that i'll have to rely on the virtual machine. 

5 minutes ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

Oh? I thought you said you had optane.

4 hours ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

with Intel optane

If you don't I guess you could just disable it and forget about it.

3 minutes ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

Depending on what Windows programs you need you might have some luck with Wine if you go for Linux only.

Anyway if you have problems passing a usb drive to the VM that might be worth troubleshooting.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 8/11/2019 at 11:59 PM, Sauron said:
On 8/11/2019 at 11:59 PM, Sauron said:

Ok Thanks for your help. I ended up buying a 2tb hard drive external one from outside and partitioned it to install ubuntu and its works great. I cannot use wine actually because I'm also learning how to edit songs and videos. those apps actually aren't available on linux and wine doesn't work well with those programs