Zombie Mods - The I9 Steambox

ALXAndy

I won't quote the post but please edit it. The sale of engineering samples is actually illegal and can cause all sorts of hot water. If Intel see that link they won't be happy.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Beautiful build! Love how you covered the fan blades with Di-Noc. The Front panel looks awesome!

Sorry for the convoluted speech pattern.

Beautiful build! Love how you covered the fan blades with Di-Noc. The Front panel looks awesome!

Thank you. I just hope that others see that cheap cases come with plenty of scope. You don't even really have to be any good with a Dremel as most plastic suppliers will cut the acrylic to the sizes you want.

Today I'm going to be watching lots of football (soccer) as is the tradition for me on a Saturday :) At some point though I need to cut the case to route the front panel wiring better and braid the rear 92mm exhaust fan. Sadly I seem to have lost my resistors, so I can't get on with fitting LEDs to the big intake fan. I can always buy some more on Tuesday, which is when I will order a power supply (I've got my eye on one :) ) and the braid for the power supply, which will become the next big job with any luck :)

I got a text message from my friend out in the USA and the CPU and some ram and other bits are going to be sent today. So there's usually a ten day ship time.... There's plenty to be getting on with though :)

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Thank you. I just hope that others see that cheap cases come with plenty of scope. You don't even really have to be any good with a Dremel as most plastic suppliers will cut the acrylic to the sizes you want.

Today I'm going to be watching lots of football (soccer) as is the tradition for me on a Saturday :) At some point though I need to cut the case to route the front panel wiring better and braid the rear 92mm exhaust fan. Sadly I seem to have lost my resistors, so I can't get on with fitting LEDs to the big intake fan. I can always buy some more on Tuesday, which is when I will order a power supply (I've got my eye on one :) ) and the braid for the power supply, which will become the next big job with any luck :)

I got a text message from my friend out in the USA and the CPU and some ram and other bits are going to be sent today. So there's usually a ten day ship time.... There's plenty to be getting on with though :)

What's your favorite team?

Using Tapatalk

What's your favorite team?

I'm a Tottenham fan :) Not an easy life haha. Mind you, I wouldn't want to be an Arsenal fan this morning :D

Hey whilst I'm here how about an update ;)

So last night I stuck some Dinoc over the Alienware branding. I'm not that pleased with it, but once the hardware goes in you won't see it any way,.

1-2.jpg

And then today I did some more braiding. I also found a hole to route the front panel cables through, which was nice. I was worried I may have to cut the case.

2-2.jpg

So left for today is braiding the side intake fan.

Good news and bad. The bad news is that I went to braid the large fan and realised I was all out of heat shrink. It's made worse because I am broke until Tuesday, so I can't even order it until then.

The good news is this, and it is very, very good news :D

1391873862222.jpg

The CPU has been sent. I am going to order a power supply on Tuesday as well as the rest of the braid I need and a new stock of heat shrink :)

So whilst the wheels of the train slow down the train is still moving :)

Today I decided to continue my work on the inside of the case and braid the 230mm fan. I also needed to make a socket extension breaker so it can be removed and replaced easily. So I braided the fan first..

pic2.jpg

And then started digging through my tins to find the stuff I need. I found a male 3 pin (was part of a 7v resistor adapter) and a male molex. Then I got out my solder iron, turned it on... It started to make crackling sounds (it's a variable) and then stopped working :(

In the end I opened it up and just took out the iron part and fitted a plug to it and put it straight into the mains. This may be dangerous as I'm not sure the iron end is made to be ran at a full 240v, but it got the job done. I then ended up with this. Note - I've used insulation tape on the molex end because I had no shrink left. It doesn't matter at all because you won't see this any way.

pic-1.jpg

And the funny thing was when all was said and done I had about a centimetre of paracord left lol.

Here's a video of me testing the fan to make sure all my wiring is good :)

And another job is finished :)

Some of these mods are absolutely top notch! So far I love what I'm seeing :) 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Some of these mods are absolutely top notch! So far I love what I'm seeing :)

Yeah.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

How hard is it to braid the fans? Do you have to take it apart and resolder the connections to the motor? 

How hard is it to braid the fans? Do you have to take it apart and resolder the connections to the motor? 

It's moderate I would say. Basically you have to take off the connector by pressing in the tabs on the metal connectors. Then you have to squash them down flat (you can bend them back just be very very gentle). Now with one fan I needed to keep all three wires intact. This was more tricky and meant feeding two through and separating the third, then pushing it through. You need to do an accordion with the braid and keep slowly pushing it over the connectors and up the wire.

With the larger fan I'm going to run it at 12v all the time. Mainly because it's just so quiet (it has a low RPM). So in this case I removed the third wire and kept the other two and fed them up together.

It would be much faster to remove the wires though I will say that, but I've got solder iron issues ATM.

Sadly today there is nothing left for me to do. I will be ordering lots of modding stuff later today though, so mods should resume Wednesday or after :)

I am going to order two of these for my cmos switches.

toggleswitch.jpg

As well as more braid and hopefully a PSU too. I need to do my maths hehe. However I do have some unbelievable news. A couple of days ago some one offered me one of these for the build.

Lightning2.jpg

Lightning1.jpg

Lightning4.jpg

Lightning3.jpg

It's the absolutely legendary GTX 480 Lightning. So why do I see this card as a legend? because basically the GTX 480 was absolutely terrible. A real stinker. MSI managed to change that with the most amazing design ever seen on a GPU. I can't tell you guys how much I lusted over this card when it launched. It's a true, violent work of art.

It's moderate I would say. Basically you have to take off the connector by pressing in the tabs on the metal connectors. Then you have to squash them down flat (you can bend them back just be very very gentle). Now with one fan I needed to keep all three wires intact. This was more tricky and meant feeding two through and separating the third, then pushing it through. You need to do an accordion with the braid and keep slowly pushing it over the connectors and up the wire.

With the larger fan I'm going to run it at 12v all the time. Mainly because it's just so quiet (it has a low RPM). So in this case I removed the third wire and kept the other two and fed them up together.

It would be much faster to remove the wires though I will say that, but I've got solder iron issues ATM.

Sadly today there is nothing left for me to do. I will be ordering lots of modding stuff later today though, so mods should resume Wednesday or after :)

I am going to order two of these for my cmos switches.

Posted Image

As well as more braid and hopefully a PSU too. I need to do my maths hehe. However I do have some unbelievable news. A couple of days ago some one offered me one of these for the build.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's the absolutely legendary GTX 480 Lightning. So why do I see this card as a legend? because basically the GTX 480 was absolutely terrible. A real stinker. MSI managed to change that with the most amazing design ever seen on a GPU. I can't tell you guys how much I lusted over this card when it launched. It's a true, violent work of art.

How are you going to make the card fit in with your color scheme?

Using Tapatalk

How are you going to make the card fit in with your color scheme?

By covering the red bits with blue dinoc ;)

A ten minute job. Edit.Actually looking at it they seem textured. I may spray paint the red parts in that case, but tbh I really don't want to change too much about the card.

OK guys, an update. This one is small though sadly but took some time to do.. 

Now with the GTX 480 Lightning pending it means I need two 8 pin PCIE and one 6 pin PCIE. I would not go to such lengths if it were any other GPU but I'm bloody determined to make it work. The power supply I am buying in the morning only has two 6 pin PCIE. This is annoying, because the extra two wires are nothing but ground wires. So, I am going to sort that out. Basically a friend of mine on another forum (this one if you're reading on BT Kronos :D) is going to send me these.

extrawire.jpg

OK, so I am going to remove the two +2 wires and solder them directly into the power supply. All grounds on a PSU return to one place, so I shall simply solder them to the cluster of grounds there and then braid them. I'm also going to use the red plugs and integrate red into the braiding. This way I can accent the 480 Lightning without having to paint it or modify it. I want it to be original, so there will be red PCIE plugs and red accents in the blue wiring :)

So I still needed another 6 pin PCIE now that I can get the two 8 pins sorted. This wasn't a huge problem as I had this that I had to remove from my Alienware power supply.

wiringpic1.jpg

So what I did was remove 6 of the wires. Then I emptied the pins and soldered new wire into them in 15" lengths. What you see here is my work complete, as well as the molex plugs I am going to use. I will braid this and it will come from behind the motherboard up and over the GPU :)

wiringpic2.jpg

I'm ordering more modding parts later tonight and in the morning, so work will firmly resume when the PSU arrives. I will then test it once the CPU arrives, then set to work taking it apart and fully braiding it.

Dis gunna be one unique build. 

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

OK guys, an update. This one is small though sadly but took some time to do.. 

Now with the GTX 480 Lightning pending it means I need two 8 pin PCIE and one 6 pin PCIE. I would not go to such lengths if it were any other GPU but I'm bloody determined to make it work. The power supply I am buying in the morning only has two 6 pin PCIE. This is annoying, because the extra two wires are nothing but ground wires. So, I am going to sort that out. Basically a friend of mine on another forum (this one if you're reading on BT Kronos :D) is going to send me these.

OK, so I am going to remove the two +2 wires and solder them directly into the power supply. All grounds on a PSU return to one place, so I shall simply solder them to the cluster of grounds there and then braid them. I'm also going to use the red plugs and integrate red into the braiding. This way I can accent the 480 Lightning without having to paint it or modify it. I want it to be original, so there will be red PCIE plugs and red accents in the blue wiring :)

So I still needed another 6 pin PCIE now that I can get the two 8 pins sorted. This wasn't a huge problem as I had this that I had to remove from my Alienware power supply.

So what I did was remove 6 of the wires. Then I emptied the pins and soldered new wire into them in 15" lengths. What you see here is my work complete, as well as the molex plugs I am going to use. I will braid this and it will come from behind the motherboard up and over the GPU :)

I'm ordering more modding parts later tonight and in the morning, so work will firmly resume when the PSU arrives. I will then test it once the CPU arrives, then set to work taking it apart and fully braiding it.

how much does one have to pay for one of these GTX480 lightning's? :P  i know what card needs to go in a future project if i can find one that is. if not i might go for a gigabyte soc or this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-480-Hydro-Copper-FTW-1536MB-/171238368037?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item27de9a2325

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

how much does one have to pay for one of these GTX480 lightning's? :P  i know what card needs to go in a future project if i can find one that is. if not i might go for a gigabyte soc or this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-480-Hydro-Copper-FTW-1536MB-/171238368037?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item27de9a2325

I have absolutely no idea. New they were £550 and there weren't a lot of them made so they're very hard to find second hand.

I have absolutely no idea. New they were £550 and there weren't a lot of them made so they're very hard to find second hand.

i'll have to keep a lookout then. they sound rare. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

A whole lot of rare in this build i see :D me likes

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

FFS Photobucket has collapsed again. I'll use the other account for a while for the next updates :)

OK so I have placed my orders. Here is what I got. One Tagan Silverpower 600w power supply. It's an older model but I found it too cheap to resist.

powersupply.jpg

Then some paracord to braid it with.

redparacord.jpg

And

blueparacord.jpg

And then...

switches.jpg

X2. These will be for the cmos state switches for resetting the bios without having to access the jumper ;) I also ordered these x4. I get them from Hong Kong they cost £3.29 for four. PC specific ones cost around £7 *each*. Crazy.

blueleds.jpg

And that should keep me nice and busy :)

i'll have to keep a lookout then. they sound rare. 

If you find one then you have found the holy grail.

The GTX 480 Lightning was only made in very small numbers. 90% of the target audience were overclockers and record breakers who would take the card apart and use it for benching with LN2 or DICE. This means that when done it was impossible to put the card back together because materials would be used to protect it (like putty and vaseline). Either the card would end up blowing up or just end up in a bin somewhere.

The actual amount of them used "as is" was so small it was crazy. Thus, finding a used one on Ebay or what not? IMO mate it just ain't gonna happen. I mean don't get me wrong underneath it 'is only' a GTX 480, but this thing is super super rare. You'll have a much easier job of finding a Gigabyte as they were cheaper more mainstream cards. The Lightning though? nothing about it is stock apart from the GPU core itself. The PCB is ground up custom, as are the power stages and cooler (note that the TFIII used on the 480 Lightning is nothing like any other TF cooler they ever used).

The 580 Lightning just used the regular TFIII. The 580 Lightning Xtreme used the same cooler only had blue fans.

I would say that the 480 Lightning is the rarest of them all. This is compounded even further by the fact that MSI released it a week before the GTX 580 hit.

Update. So I got some more of the tedious work done :) Before I started though I came up with an idea. Basically I found this lying around. It's a bay cover. So I glued on the Zalman logo and it will go in the back of the redundant 5.25 bay as a back cover :)

1.jpg

Then it was time to get busy. The GPU I will be using has two 8 pin and one 6 pin PCIE. This is a bummer, because the PSU I have ordered only has two 6 pin. The good thing though is that the other two are just extra grounds, so I will make up my own custom +2 plugs and solder them directly into the power supply itself. Before that though (PSU will be here within a few days hopefully) I decided to make my own dual molex - 6 pin PCIE. Here you can see some male molex ends.

2.jpg

These were prepped and ready to be soldered onto the 6 wires for the connector. There are three grounds and three 12v, so I decided to send two 12v into one molex but only one ground, then the two grounds and one left over 12v into the other one. Here are the wires (showing the PCIE plug ends).

3.jpg

And a little soldering later and we have these :)

4.jpg

Then it was time to fit them into the connectors. I always put my connector over a plug that has the cables in clear view like this.

5.jpg

Then when inserting the pins you get them in the right places.

6.jpg

And the other one :)

7.jpg

And the finished cable.

8.jpg

And all I will need to do when the paracord arrives is braid it and put the connector back on :)

So you've got a very rare GTX 480 and a i9, that's a parts list that's gonna stick out.

Using Tapatalk

OK so I have placed my orders. Here is what I got. One Tagan Silverpower 600w power supply. It's an older model but I found it too cheap to resist.

powersupply.jpg

Then some paracord to braid it with.

And

And then...

X2. These will be for the cmos state switches for resetting the bios without having to access the jumper ;) I also ordered these x4. I get them from Hong Kong they cost £3.29 for four. PC specific ones cost around £7 *each*. Crazy.

And that should keep me nice and busy :)

you sure that has enough power  :P

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme