Zombie Mods - The I9 Steambox

ALXAndy

Terribly sorry about that mate. :D

Zombie Mods - The I9 Intel Insicle Steambox... :lol:

haha never ever put things like that into the head of an Aspie :D

Mind you, with lots of blue the build could look kinda cold, so Insicle could be quite fitting. The Intel Icicle. lmao.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

The postman finally came, but only delivered the blue power button :( it is nice though :D

So a few days back I went to my mother's house and went into the loft (the attic) to get down my old desk. As a little hint to the last time I used it look at these...

badges.jpg

The blue Corsair badge came with my H50 version 1 which cooled my Phenom 2 940. The ROG badge is from my ill fated Crosshair II Formula. It died when I tried to hack the bios logo :D

So after a bit of digging, some cleaning and tidying my work desk is now set up. It's also covered in parts (some 92mm fans, two 230mm fans* and lots of wiring).

desk.jpg

OK so the 230mm fans. They're left over from The Dark Carnival mod. Now what I'm hoping is that they fit the two 120mm fan mounts on the side of the Zalman. I should be able to fit one there which would be marvellous because they are absolutely silent and will draw in lots of air.

fans230.jpg

It's also nice that they have empty 5mm LED holes. I will no doubt fit some of the blue LEDs I bought into the fan :) I also found this.

buttonpanel.jpg

It's the LED and buttom assembly from my old Temjin TJ05. It was a horrible ugly case, but the buttons are alu. I'm starting to think I may use this for the front of the I9 Steambox...

Mod on !

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

OK so looking for input on this. I've been toying with ideas for the face panel.. Thoughts please !

1.jpg

2.jpg

3. (It's Z for Zalman)

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

I like No. 6 and No. 3 the best. Build looks great so far!

I like No. 6 and No. 3 the best. Build looks great so far!

I'm leaning toward 5 and 6 at the moment.. Might throw some more together later.

6. 6. 6. 6. 6. 6. 6. 6. 6. 6. 6. 

I think 6 looks the best.

Yeah I like it too. If I don't use my zombie on the front I'll definitely use him inside as I did with the last build :)

You're probably onto something though. I've definitely not seen a case with a zombie on the front before :D

this is very cool, never seen anything like this before. Damn, I want a W.I.P CPU to :P

Main Rig: Cpu: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: NH_d15 GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 Windforce III MOBO: Msi Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: HyperX Fury 1600 8gb white SSD: Samsung 840 evo 250gb PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: NZXT H630 white

PC peripherals: Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster T27B550 Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Logitech G700s Headphones: Logitech G430 

Yeah I like it too. If I don't use my zombie on the front I'll definitely use him inside as I did with the last build :)

You're probably onto something though. I've definitely not seen a case with a zombie on the front before :D

Link to the last build please.

Nothing to see here - move along.

Link to the last build please.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60992-zombie-mods-the-dark-carnival-roll-up-roll-up/page-7

I couldn't do the things with TDC that I want to do here. Basically I needed it built from day one, so couldn't go too serious. With this build I can basically hack the empty case to oblivion and it won't affect my daily rig.

But here is where I finished TDC. I may get some more decals made (I make the ones you see here myself but text is hard to do with scissors !) but other than that it's finished and runs as my gaming/everything rig.

DSC08281.jpg

That's the red and black one, this is the blue and black one ;)

I thought your fan mods were excellent. I think I might have a go at those myself.

I remember seeing this.

Nothing to see here - move along.

I'm currently working out in my head how to make the hsf fan frameless. Once the cooler arrives I'll start working on prototypes :)

But yeah, expect the unexpected ;)

5 You should yolo and plasti-dip the motherboard :D

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

5 You should yolo and plasti-dip the motherboard :D

hehe great minds think alike !

Sadly I don't think I can get it in the UK. Don't worry about the logos I'm going to cover those in dinoc.

Morning update. OK so I'm kinda going to blog this log. IE - post regular updates daily. I hope you guys don't mind. I guess it gives those who like reading something to read, any way..

So the case is out for delivery today. It's with Yodel though (a terrible courier, tbh) so it probably won't arrive :D Any way I am expecting other modding parts, but last night I remembered just what a cock 1366 can be to overclock. One wrong move with my board and it's black screen which means removing the GPU and clearing cmos. I've had a few ideas to get around this but I think the best idea is to fit two switches to the motherboard. One will engage cmos, the other will clear it. These will need to be the opposite of the momentary switches I have so will need to be bought. It's a faff, but one I feel is worth it as I really want to squeeze the I9's balls for as much performance as I can get.

Yesterday afternoon I ordered this.

blackswitch.jpg

Which is 16mm. The blue one I have is 12mm. I'm not sure how I'm going to use them yet. The black switch was much cheaper than the blue one... I know I will most certainly need a reset button when overclocking though, so no doubt one will be for the power and the other for reset.. 

Remember - this build will be done as it comes so to speak, IE - there are no set plans of yet and things will be changed during the build to make it as good as it can be :)

Take care, until next time :)

Edit again. Please forgive my lack of manners... A huge thank you to those who gave their opinions on the front design. I have decided, after much deliberation, to use idea 6. I'm not sure how I will lay out the two black accents yet, but I will definitely be putting the Zombie logo on the front of the case :)

hehe great minds think alike !

Sadly I don't think I can get it in the UK. Don't worry about the logos I'm going to cover those in dinoc.

Morning update. OK so I'm kinda going to blog this log. IE - post regular updates daily. I hope you guys don't mind. I guess it gives those who like reading something to read, any way..

So the case is out for delivery today. It's with Yodel though (a terrible courier, tbh) so it probably won't arrive :D Any way I am expecting other modding parts, but last night I remembered just what a cock 1366 can be to overclock. One wrong move with my board and it's black screen which means removing the GPU and clearing cmos. I've had a few ideas to get around this but I think the best idea is to fit two switches to the motherboard. One will engage cmos, the other will clear it. These will need to be the opposite of the momentary switches I have so will need to be bought. It's a faff, but one I feel is worth it as I really want to squeeze the I9's balls for as much performance as I can get.

Yesterday afternoon I ordered this.

blackswitch.jpg

Which is 16mm. The blue one I have is 12mm. I'm not sure how I'm going to use them yet. The black switch was much cheaper than the blue one... I know I will most certainly need a reset button when overclocking though, so no doubt one will be for the power and the other for reset.. 

Remember - this build will be done as it comes so to speak, IE - there are no set plans of yet and things will be changed during the build to make it as good as it can be :)

Take care, until next time :)

Edit again. Please forgive my lack of manners... A huge thank you to those who gave their opinions on the front design. I have decided, after much deliberation, to use idea 6. I'm not sure how I will lay out the two black accents yet, but I will definitely be putting the Zombie logo on the front of the case :)

can't wait for you to finish mate, this is what makes these forums fun.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

OK guys, here we go then - massive update !

So at around 10:40 AM the door bell went. It was the courier with the case.

1-1.jpg

Open it up..

2-1.jpg

The entire carton is smaller than my Alienware lol.

3-1.jpg

Time to unpack !

4-1.jpg

And it's out !

5-1.jpg

Ewwww !

6-1.jpg

Take the side off....

7.jpg

And some accessories. A small bag full of screws, rubber feet and so on.

8.jpg

And then the door bell went again. This time it was our postman with two things for me !

9.jpg

What's inside? well here is the logo I ordered from Germany.

10.jpg

It is very small, so Insicle jokes can cease :D  In the other tube parcel was this.

11.jpg

Which I am absolutely thrilled with. It's slightly darker than the photo, but it's very glossy. I love it !!

OK so it's back to the case. Time to rip off the front which will be going in the bin once stripped...

12.jpg

lmfao check this out :D

13.jpg

It's tiny ! what's nice is that it's even smaller with the original front removed ! 

OK so now it was time to see what my fan options are. I put the 230mm fan down...

14.jpg

Perfect !! I will need to drill some mounting holes but that's no issue.. So it was time to remove the hard drive holder. It won't be coming back..

15.jpg

And check out the acrylic. What was amazing was that the sheet fits the absolutely perfect height. This is really nice, it saves me more cutting :)

16.jpg

Time to strip the front panel of its bounty !

17.jpg

I managed to get the badge off without snapping it so I put it on some vinyl backing so I can stick it on without having to redo the adhesive myself :)

18.jpg

And bag and label...

19.jpg

And the very sad looking front which will be making is way to the trash can. Sorry Zalman, it's just too ugly !

20.jpg

And it was time for some fun. Sadly my lady is not feeling too good today so went back to bed. This means absolutely no noise or power tools so I decided to start making graphics..

a.jpg

Flip, print, stick to the back of the vinyl. And, tadaaaaaaa !!

b.jpg

Another job done :)

can't wait for you to finish mate, this is what makes these forums fun.

Thank you. My main aim is to show that modding does not need to be expensive, nor require any ridiculously expensive equipment. My rotary tool cost me £20 and this entire case fitted (minus internal parts) will cost less than £30 for the entire case.

It's the little things that make the difference, like this. The intake side of my fan is ugly as they often are.

fan1.jpg

Pull it off gently.

fan2.jpg

Stick it to the back of some dinoc...

fan3.jpg

Cut it out.

fan4.jpg

And replace.

fan5.jpg

A ten minute, 10 pence job. No more garish sticker..

Let's stop pissing around and make a front panel, shall we?

First up I wanted the old front to trace.

1.jpg

But it was full of posts stopping it lying flat. Bzzzp hack bzzzzzzp

2.jpg

OK so now it lays flat.

3.jpg

And finally I got what I wanted :)

4.jpg

Bzzzzzp hack cut Bzzzzzzzzp !

5.jpg

Edge sanding.

6.jpg

Remember that small black piece ? well that was for this. Oh yeah, Bzzzzp !

7.jpg

And another one for the other end :)

8.jpg

And then there were two.

9.jpg

Little wee power button, all happy but no place to go.....

10.jpg

Mark...

11.jpg

Now this bit needs to be done very very slowly...

12.jpg

And finally he had a place to hang out...

13.jpg

Minor adjustment tot he case.. Bzzzzzzp !

14.jpg

Does it clear? You bet your fat clown ass it does ! (Cartman, South Park, Ladder to Heaven)

15.jpg

Test fit after some more sanding.

16.jpg

And it was time for the diamond coated blade which is better for small cuts (it's a little too fast to do long cuts with).

17.jpg

And the relief hole is done.

18.jpg

Test fit..

19.jpg

LED holes.

20.jpg

And a fun part, peeling all of it :)

21.jpg

Then a visit to the shower to fully clean it and make sure it's grit free, and it was time to coat it in vinyl. First up I always lay the part on the back side of the vinyl and mark it up that way. Then you don't cut it too small..

22.jpg

And cover.....

23.jpg

And the other one...

24.jpg

And then the front.

25.jpg

Another test fit.

26.jpg

And it was time to fit Mr Zombie.

27.jpg

Bangin' !

28.jpg

Whoomp, there it is !

The glue is setting, more later...... ;)

The frontpanel looks awesome dude!

I'm hugely pleased with it would be an understatement lol. Yeah it's kickin' ass. Once the glue sets I can toy around with fitting it :)

Noice! thumb.gif

Also:

And the relief hole is done.

That... does not sound computer-ish to my dirty, demented mind. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic