Asus Laptop Help 240Hz display or Core I7

Hello, I'm currently looking for a new laptop for gaming, video and photo editing, with a possibility of 3d rendering. For some context, I'm form Thailand so this model might be specific for my region/country. I'm currently looking at this model Asus Rog Strix G531GV-AL072T with a core I5 9300H and a Rtx 2060 with a 120Hz display for about 1300 USD give or take. I was wondering if it is worth the money to for the Asus Rog Strix G531GV-AV022T with a core I7 9750H and a Rtx 2060 with a 120Hz display for about 1500 USD give or take. Or should I go with the Rog Hero 3 GV531-AZ158T with a core I5 9300H and a Rtx 2060 for 1500 USD give or take but with a 240Hz display. So my real question here is do I go with the I7 or the 240Hz display.

Spec list

https://notebookspec.com/notebook/9210-Asus-ROG-Strix-G-G531GV-AL022T.html

https://notebookspec.com/notebook/9204-Asus-ROG-Strix-G-G531GV-AL072T.html

https://notebookspec.com/notebook/9348-Asus-ROG-Strix-G-G531GV-AZ158T.html

The price listed there is in Thailand Baht

Thank for your help.

If you do lots of photo editing I would get the i7 as it has more cores/threads. If you do not do lots of photo editing I would save the $200 and get the $1300 laptop. You are unlikely to sustain much more than 120 FPS in anything other then CS:GO at lowest settings anyway, so a 240Hz screen is a waste.

12 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

If you do lots of photo editing I would get the i7 as it has more cores/threads. If you do not do lots of photo editing I would save the $200 and get the $1300 laptop. You are unlikely to sustain much more than 120 FPS in anything other then CS:GO at lowest settings anyway, so a 240Hz screen is a waste.

Thank mate for the advice. ??

28 minutes ago, jay1091 said:

Thank mate for the advice. ??

I noticed I said photo editing, I meant video editing.

Open to other options?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Open to other options?

Sure but the price need to be pretty comparable and if possible, make sure it is available in Thailand.

7 minutes ago, jay1091 said:

Sure but the price need to be pretty comparable and if possible, make sure it is available in Thailand.

Max budget in baht? Any links of online stores?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

43 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Max budget in baht? Any links of online stores?

Under 50,000 Thailand Baht, here is the store https://www.jib.co.th/web/.

It's been like that for years, but here's a little thumb rule:

Upgrading an i5 to an i7 in a Notebook is ONLY (ONLY!!!!) Worth it, if you get additional Cores. Or at least Threads (i5 = 4/4 Core --> i7 = 4/8 Core with Hyperthreading for example).

If the only difference is 200 Mhz higher Clock speed, it's not worth. Few 100 Mhz more or less won't make or break anything. Additional Cores will.

In This Case: Take the i7, because it is a 6-Core.

A 240 Hz won't help you anything, if a 4-core CPU has problems running higher Framerates. Unless it's e-sports.

The Difference between 120 and 240 Hz is not as big as you might think. Going from 60 to 120 is WAY bigger. The "smoothness" has a diminishing return after that. You might see a difference, but it will be a very small one.

6 Cores (12 Threads) + 120 Hz is a better Sweet spot in my Opinion, compared to 4 Cores (8 Threads) and 240 Hz.

Get 240 Hz if most you do is playing competetive e-sports for Ranks, and you think you need more smoothness / response time than 120 Hz.

5 hours ago, Darkseth said:

It's been like that for years, but here's a little thumb rule:

Upgrading an i5 to an i7 in a Notebook is ONLY (ONLY!!!!) Worth it, if you get additional Cores. Or at least Threads (i5 = 4/4 Core --> i7 = 4/8 Core with Hyperthreading for example).

If the only difference is 200 Mhz higher Clock speed, it's not worth. Few 100 Mhz more or less won't make or break anything. Additional Cores will.

In This Case: Take the i7, because it is a 6-Core.

A 240 Hz won't help you anything, if a 4-core CPU has problems running higher Framerates. Unless it's e-sports.

The Difference between 120 and 240 Hz is not as big as you might think. Going from 60 to 120 is WAY bigger. The "smoothness" has a diminishing return after that. You might see a difference, but it will be a very small one.

6 Cores (12 Threads) + 120 Hz is a better Sweet spot in my Opinion, compared to 4 Cores (8 Threads) and 240 Hz.

Get 240 Hz if most you do is playing competetive e-sports for Ranks, and you think you need more smoothness / response time than 120 Hz.

Thank mate, personally I think I'm better off with the I7 than 240Hz display due to my workload which is primarily video and photo editing and gaming as a side activity. ??

With 1660Ti/2060:

Level51 NX-L (Clevo N960TD/TC)

Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-52

Lenovo Legion Y540 15/17 customize / premade, Y7000 SE customize

Level51 GG (Clevo NH58RDQ/RCQ)

G531GV/GU is decent but I wouldn't trust Asus QC+QA

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

21 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

With 1660Ti/2060:

Level51 NX-L (Clevo N960TD/TC)

Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-52

Lenovo Legion Y540 15/17 customize / premade, Y7000 SE customize

Level51 GG (Clevo NH58RDQ/RCQ)

G531GV/GU is decent but I wouldn't trust Asus QC+QA

The 2060 model are closer to 50 thousand and for the price of 40 to 45 thousand you can only get a 1660 ti which is slightly worse than the 2060. For the same price I will definitely go for the 2060 over the 1660 ti. And as for QC + QA, issues my former asus laptop last me more than 5 years before I have to retire it because of its ageing hardware and a damage from a drop. And for the most part I have heard of a lot of praise for Asus laptop build quality and warranty. Where did the stigma of Asus bad QC+QA issues come from?

3 hours ago, jay1091 said:

And as for QC + QA, issues my former asus laptop last me more than 5 years before I have to retire it because of its ageing hardware and a damage from a drop. And for the most part I have heard of a lot of praise for Asus laptop build quality and warranty. Where did the stigma of Asus bad QC+QA issues come from?

Old models are fine. New models? Not anymore

If you're insisting on buying Asus then I can't do anything also, it's your choice - however I've given my advice

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

6 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Old models are fine. New models? Not anymore

If you're insisting on buying Asus then I can't do anything also, it's your choice - however I've given my advice

Thank for the head up mate. I will keep posted if any issues ever show up.