Why AIO over Tower Cooling

GingerSoulThief

I've been noticing a trend of home PC builders to use AIO coolers over Air Cooling.

I've come to the conclusion that (imho)  AIO's are stupid. (emotive language for extra effect?)

As far as Aesthetic's go, they're no prettier than most tower coolers (what with there gangly tubing that rarely sits anywhere nice and clean looking etc.) , and their cooling capacity/$ is worse (gross generalisation yes...), longevity is worse too as all AIO's unfortunately have a half life........

I'm not comparing to custom loops, as custom loops are expensive, require maintenance, but they have a definite aesthetic advantage, so depending on how much you care about a sweet looking PC......you get my point......

The only reason I can come up with, is that with all the good Tower coolers (Noctua DH15, Dark Rock Pro4 etc.) clearance of RAM modules can be problematic, and extensive research required to ensure you can fit it all in, and of course the case too.......but, is this the only reason a lot of people choose AIO coolers over tower coolers? Just avoiding an hours worth of internet googling?

I'm really interested to hear why you prefer AIO to Tower cooling? or your take on this whole topic.

For reference - I have just finished building a custom loop(running a EK SE 360mm Rad and an EK XE 360mm Rad) -because sweet looking PC bro - after having a fully air cooled system with a Dark Rock Pro 4 Tower cooler, and being able to compare like to like, The custom loop, does not perform any better than the dark rock pro 4

A lot of people like the pipes. When well managed, I find them better looking than most tower coolers.

Just my opinion though.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

A lot of people like the pipes. When well managed, I find them better looking than most tower coolers.

Just my opinion though.

So essentially, its  - want the aesthetic of a custom loop, but on a budget?

Tower coolers are huge and block the view of the motherboard, ram, and other components while drawing attention to the ugly giant cube of metal that it is.

AIOs replace that with some cool tubing and a compact CPU block which is 10x easier to mount or swap CPUs.

Also 280mm and 360mm AIOs perform about the same or better than the best air coolers.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Tower coolers are huge and block the view of the motherboard, ram, and other components while drawing attention to the ugly giant cube of metal that it is.

AIOs replace that with some cool tubing and a compact CPU block which is 10x easier to mount or swap CPUs.

Also 280mm and 360mm AIOs perform about the same or better than the best air coolers.

you're right, a 280/360mm AIO does perform extremely similar- but you pay more for that performance.......

but I can accept the blocking the view of mobo, and ram, thats a good point.  I'll add your points to the "Aesthetics on a budget tally"

I'm personally using the noctua NH-D15. folks complain about the beige but I'm also one of those dirty non-window-having people and it's whisper quiet, so hey. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

AIOs can shift the heat dissipation to almost directly out of the case. Great for helping keep other things cool.

Or you can install them at the front and feed your CPU slightly cooler air to its cooling, rather than air heated by case internals.  

One way favours GPU temps, the other CPU.

Towers are the compromise, neither GPU or CPU*

*assuming non-AIO or blower cards.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

20 minutes ago, GingerSoulThief said:

I've been noticing a trend of home PC builders to use AIO coolers over Air Cooling.

I've come to the conclusion that (imho)  AIO's are stupid. (emotive language for extra effect?)

As far as Aesthetic's go, they're no prettier than most tower coolers (what with there gangly tubing that rarely sits anywhere nice and clean looking etc.) , and their cooling capacity/$ is worse (gross generalisation yes...), longevity is worse too as all AIO's unfortunately have a half life........

I'm not comparing to custom loops, as custom loops are expensive, require maintenance, but they have a definite aesthetic advantage, so depending on how much you care about a sweet looking PC......you get my point......

The only reason I can come up with, is that with all the good Tower coolers (Noctua DH15, Dark Rock Pro4 etc.) clearance of RAM modules can be problematic, and extensive research required to ensure you can fit it all in, and of course the case too.......but, is this the only reason a lot of people choose AIO coolers over tower coolers? Just avoiding an hours worth of internet googling?

I'm really interested to hear why you prefer AIO to Tower cooling? or your take on this whole topic.

For reference - I have just finished building a custom loop(running a EK SE 360mm Rad and an EK XE 360mm Rad) -because sweet looking PC bro - after having a fully air cooled system with a Dark Rock Pro 4 Tower cooler, and being able to compare like to like, The custom loop, does not perform any better than the dark rock pro 4

That's weird. The dual 360mm Rad system should be slapping that Dark Rock Pro 4. But for me it was for silence and space management. AIO's take less space depending on where you look at it and it makes everyone's lives easier when something goes wrong like a ram stick going bad or just building the PC. Big Tower coolers also have clearance issues which is what happened with my case initially. While I do agree Tower Coolers and AIO's are somewhat matched, it's a personal preference at this point.

Setup No. 1: CPU: AMD Ryzen 2200g 3.95GHz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Dual FTW w/ EVGA ACX Cooler MOBO: MSI B350 Tomahawk Gaming Motherboard RAM: KingSpec DDR4 8GB Single Channel @ 2866MHz PSU: CS Series Modular CS 650M - 650 Watt Power Supply 80+ Gold Efficiency CASE: EVGA DG-73 STORAGE: 240GB Inland SSD, 320GB 7200 RPM Western Digital Hard Drive COOLER: Cooler Master ML240L - 240mm Liquid AIO MONITORS1x Dell 1920 x 1080p 24" Widescreen 60Hz, 1x Dell 1920 x 1080p 22" 60Hz KEYBOARDCheap Inland USB Keyboard MOUSE2400DPI Anker Gaming Mouse RGB CHAIR: Ikea MARKUS Office Chair 

Setup No. 2: CPU: Intel i5-4950 GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 570 4GB VRAM MOBO: Asus B85 RAM: Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz Single Channel PSU: Insignia 450 Watt 80+ Efficiency Power Supply CASE: Thermaltake Versa N21 STORAGE: Samsung 860 EVO 240GB SSD COOLER: bequiet! Pure Rock Slim MONTIROS: 1x HP 24" 1680 x 1050p 60Hz KEYBOARD: Apple USB Keyboard MOUSE: Anywhere MX Logitech Mouse

I don't doubt similar performance when not pushing the hardware but when you start to push there is a clear difference.

air vs aio.jpg

1 hour ago, Ciuwas said:

That's weird. The dual 360mm Rad system should be slapping that Dark Rock Pro 4. But for me it was for silence and space management. AIO's take less space depending on where you look at it and it makes everyone's lives easier when something goes wrong like a ram stick going bad or just building the PC. Big Tower coolers also have clearance issues which is what happened with my case initially. While I do agree Tower Coolers and AIO's are somewhat matched, it's a personal preference at this point.

yeah, but that dual 360mm rad system is now also cooling a 2080Ti whereas the Dark Rock was obviously just doing CPU, but that tower is a 250W TDP cooler, its stupidly good, and absolutely silent........check out Jayz recent review of the Dark Rock........

4 hours ago, Ciuwas said:

it makes everyone's lives easier when something goes wrong

If the AIO is the one which goes wrong, then that will make lives harder

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

Personally, I prefer AIOs because I build with aesthetic in mind as well. So in my case, there's RGB on the board, and RAM that most towers would have blocked. That, and adding to it are the RGB fans on the top with the RAD. While I know some air coolers can certainly out-perform, and would have been less costly, it was a planned build and Corsair doesn't make an air-cooler, let alone an RGB one that won't block off other components. 

I also have to disagree with the noise level. With the 115i Platinum and all fans set to quiet I can't hear this rig at all, and yet, I rarely have temps hit anywhere near throttle territory and I do have my system running +192 on the GPU (2070) 24/7 OC with the 8700K. So, I am pushing things to an extent for sure.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

thanks for the replies guys, it seems that its just aesthetics -which are completely subjective - I think AIO's are ugly, but I do definitely admit that the sexy tower coolers, do hide all the pretty of RAM and Mobo, so a trade off.......  

other reasons I thought of for pro AIO 

* ease of install - water cooling for a rookie builder.

* status symbol - being able to say you have a water cooled system, without the headaches of custom loop.

* tech reviewers like linus are often using aio's in their test benches, and also features like the lan-center.

12 hours ago, GingerSoulThief said:

* tech reviewers like linus are often using aio's in their test benches, and also features like the lan-center.

It's probably a lot easier for reviewers to replace the CPU under an AIO than a giant tower cooler. Linus and Alex did have a recent comparison between some AIOs and air coolers and the Noctua NH-U12A was very competitive and beat some of the AIOs. It's a rather expensive tower ($100 US), but it's a smaller form factor and doesn't really obscure the RAM.

04_Banshee_inside the box.jpg

Intel i7-9700k | Noctua NH-U12A | MSI MEG Z390 ACE | 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming | Corsair RM750x | Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2 / 860 Evo 1TB / 2x Intel 730 480 GB | Phanteks P600S | ASUS ROG Swift 278Q

12 hours ago, JabroniBaloney said:

Sometimes people want to pay more money for more points of failure in their cooling solution.

Yes. But Sire... The AIO Clout...

Setup No. 1: CPU: AMD Ryzen 2200g 3.95GHz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Dual FTW w/ EVGA ACX Cooler MOBO: MSI B350 Tomahawk Gaming Motherboard RAM: KingSpec DDR4 8GB Single Channel @ 2866MHz PSU: CS Series Modular CS 650M - 650 Watt Power Supply 80+ Gold Efficiency CASE: EVGA DG-73 STORAGE: 240GB Inland SSD, 320GB 7200 RPM Western Digital Hard Drive COOLER: Cooler Master ML240L - 240mm Liquid AIO MONITORS1x Dell 1920 x 1080p 24" Widescreen 60Hz, 1x Dell 1920 x 1080p 22" 60Hz KEYBOARDCheap Inland USB Keyboard MOUSE2400DPI Anker Gaming Mouse RGB CHAIR: Ikea MARKUS Office Chair 

Setup No. 2: CPU: Intel i5-4950 GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 570 4GB VRAM MOBO: Asus B85 RAM: Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz Single Channel PSU: Insignia 450 Watt 80+ Efficiency Power Supply CASE: Thermaltake Versa N21 STORAGE: Samsung 860 EVO 240GB SSD COOLER: bequiet! Pure Rock Slim MONTIROS: 1x HP 24" 1680 x 1050p 60Hz KEYBOARD: Apple USB Keyboard MOUSE: Anywhere MX Logitech Mouse

On 8/11/2019 at 10:35 AM, GingerSoulThief said:

what average user pushes their hardware to those extremes?

Sorry i missed the part in the OP where you said this applies to average users only.

I wouldn't class overclocking on air or aio as extreme either.

So long story short, if you want the most out of you CPU without going for extreme cooling or an open loop, buy a good AIO, preferably a 280 or 360.

10 hours ago, glenalz81 said:

Sorry i missed the part in the OP where you said this applies to average users only.

I wouldn't class overclocking on air or aio as extreme either.

So long story short, if you want the most out of you CPU without going for extreme cooling or an open loop, buy a good AIO, preferably a 280 or 360.

I disagree still...........if you aren't going extreme, an AIO or good Tower cooler are comparable performance wise, but a Tower cooler is cheaper so........

It's honestly a preference at this point.  A lot of overclocking scores where AIO crushes air is in short tests.  The liquid in a big rad doesn't have time to heat up during a short stress test.  Air cooling temps spikes quick (and more often) but pretty much just stays there.

There are some super high end AIO's that perform really well, but will set you back quite a bit of cashola.  

Jays2cents did a comparison of his big custom loop vs a simple 80 dollar Noctua D15 and the results were barely different.  Sounds like his result was similar to yours OP.

Again lot of it comes to preference.  I honestly can't stand the way the tubing/pipes look on an AIO, even the neatest you can make them looks sloppy to me.  I like a good looking air cooler (hence why I had to add chromax stuff to mine :) ), beefy heatsink etc.  Love the way the DRP4 blacked out heatsink looks with builds.  But all that is just my preference.

Simplicity is something that you can't argue with though, it's a heatsink that might need dust removal later on, and a fan.  No pump to fail, no pump noise.

Some people can't stand an air cooler's looks either though, want to see their board/RAM etc and I get that.  I have LPX ram and a basic board without lights in this case, and detest massive amounts of RGB unicorn barf in my case so that isn't an issue.  I guess my Aorus master pc might be worth looking at the mobo, but I still just like the way that massive noctua chromax looks.

I guess you could argue that working on the board would be easier without having to take off the fan/heatsink?  That seems legit.  The couple times I have fiddled with RAM or had to mess with fan headers it is cumbersome to work around the D15.  So I could see that.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

Just now, Zberg said:

It's honestly a preference at this point.  A lot of overclocking scores where AIO crushes air is in short tests.  The liquid in a big rad doesn't have time to heat up during a short stress test.  Air cooling temps spikes quick (and more often) but pretty much just stays there.

There are some super high end AIO's that perform really well, but will set you back quite a bit of cashola.  

Jays2cents did a comparison of his big custom loop vs a simple 80 dollar Noctua D15 and the results were barely different.  Sounds like his result was similar to yours OP.

Again lot of it comes to preference.  I honestly can't stand the way the tubing/pipes look on an AIO, even the neatest you can make them looks sloppy to me.  I like a good looking air cooler (hence why I had to add chromax stuff to mine :) ), beefy heatsink etc.  Love the way the DRP4 blacked out heatsink looks with builds.  But all that is just my preference.

Simplicity is something that you can't argue with though, it's a heatsink that might need dust removal later on, and a fan.  No pump to fail, no pump noise.

Some people can't stand an air cooler's looks either though, want to see their board/RAM etc and I get that.  I have LPX ram and a basic board without lights in this case, and detest massive amounts of RGB unicorn barf in my case so that isn't an issue.  I guess my Aorus master pc might be worth looking at the mobo, but I still just like the way that massive noctua chromax looks.

I guess you could argue that working on the board would be easier without having to take off the fan/heatsink?  That seems legit.  The couple times I have fiddled with RAM or had to mess with fan headers it is cumbersome to work around the D15.  So I could see that.

I have thought about a custom loop for how darn good it looks, but the trouble of all that extra work when my PC with a strix GPU and D15 are whisper quiet, cool, and overclockable.  I just dont think all that work would be worth it for me (aka I am lazy :)

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

On 8/11/2019 at 3:00 AM, NineEyeRon said:

Towers are the compromise, neither GPU or CPU

That depends entirely on the case. With a RL06 or PM01 and probably the upcoming P400A the airflow is more than good enough to cool both components perfectly well.

On 8/11/2019 at 3:11 AM, glenalz81 said:

I don't doubt similar performance when not pushing the hardware but when you start to push there is a clear difference.

Yeah, now run a medium workload bench for 45 minutes on that AIO and then run that particular bench again to see how real world performance stacks up.

A lot of people say that AIOs are good from an aesthetic POV but I love the look of a big ol' tower cooler. The D15 with the Chromax kit looks amazing.

On 8/11/2019 at 8:38 AM, GingerSoulThief said:

Firstly, the average Joe uses the term 'water cooling' and thinks of 'AIOs' whether they know thats what they are called or not.

When an enthusiast or any PC user is the know says 'water cooling' generally they are talking out custom loops, and will state 'AIO' when talking about an AIO.

So, they , the average joe, also unfortunately believe that 'water cooling is just better' and 'water cooling is cool' (referring to AIO's) . both an epeen thing and misguided belief that they are outright better. This alogn with marketing has allowed the wide spread adoption of AIO's in many build regardless of their relative poor price:performance vs air coolers.

The fact of the matter is, only 360mm AIO's have any significant improvement over top end air coolers, and they are far far more expensive.

One should really only use a smaller AIO in SFF builds were a big heatsink wont fit.

The only other scenario is in a purely cosmetic build where a person really hates the look of heatsinks, and thats a subjective choice.

Unless you can get a 240/280mm AIO significantly cheaper than something like a DRP4 or D15, from a performance and money standpoint its almost always better to get the later.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |