Best headphones and AMP/DAC

NotMrTaco
Go to solution Solved by rice guru,
4 minutes ago, NotMrTaco said:

I will be mostly gaming, but although I will listen to music through spotify, and something that has a great sound stage for fps games would be great.

my favortie cans for gaming is the 990 but can be sharp for music. I would recommend my personal setup the monoprice liquid spark and the topping d10 but if you want to spend less money on a dac amp the fx audio dac x6 is a great option for the 990 pro 250 ohm. but if you just wanna spend less the 58x is really good for gaming too the soundstage isn't as wide or is the imaging as good as the 990 it's stll one fo the best it's a great all rounder for any kind of music. you can run these on board if you want but I would personally pair it with a Fiio K3.

Hey! I just got my new mic, and it sounds fantastic, but the headphones I have are dying, and I really don't want to use the direct monitor port on my umc202hd. I've been looking at dt990's and hd 599's or 598's, or hd58x. I come from having sennheiser hd 439s and I want to try something different, like open-back which is why I have been looking at those headphones. I don't want to spend too much money on the whole group, so like maybe $170 max for headphones, and maybe $150 to $200 max. I saw many people run the schiit stack, or now more frequently the jds labs atom with a topping d10/d30, but I don't want to spend too much, as I have about $500 or so, and i'd like to keep some of that money if possible. What would you recommend?

its generally not reccomended to spend more money on the amp/Dac than the drivers or in this case the headphones. what kind of sound are you looking for what kind of music do you listen to? and will you be using this for mostly music or gaming?

4 minutes ago, rice guru said:

its generally not reccomended to spend more money on the amp/Dac than the drivers or in this case the headphones. what kind of sound are you looking for what kind of music do you listen to? and will you be using this for mostly music or gaming?

I will be mostly gaming, but although I will listen to music through spotify, and something that has a great sound stage for fps games would be great.

4 minutes ago, NotMrTaco said:

my favortie cans for gaming is the 990 but can be sharp for music. I would recommend my personal setup the monoprice liquid spark and the topping d10 but if you want to spend less money on a dac amp the fx audio dac x6 is a great option for the 990 pro 250 ohm. but if you just wanna spend less the 58x is really good for gaming too the soundstage isn't as wide or is the imaging as good as the 990 it's stll one fo the best it's a great all rounder for any kind of music. you can run these on board if you want but I would personally pair it with a Fiio K3.

now I know I basically reccoemnded my personal gear but they really are the best for your use case and needs IMO at that price point.

3 minutes ago, rice guru said:

now I know I basically reccoemnded my personal gear but they really are the best for your use case and needs IMO at that price point.

Okay the dac x6 sounds good, and I will either choose between those two. Do you think the hd 6xx or the hifiman he4xx would be good?

1 minute ago, NotMrTaco said:

Okay the dac x6 sounds good, and I will either choose between those two. Do you think the hd 6xx or the hifiman he4xx would be good?

the 6xx is narrower in soundstage and not a good imaging as the 58x the 58x is much better for gaming. the he 4xx is a decent music/ gaming can but I would pair it with an Atom or a liquid spark along with a d10. I personally think the he 4xx basically requires one of the $100 amps

Just now, rice guru said:

the 6xx is narrower in soundstage and not a good imaging as the 58x the 58x is much better for gaming. the he 4xx is a decent music/ gaming can but I would pair it with an Atom or a liquid spark along with a d10. I personally think the he 4xx basically requires one of the $100 amps

okay sounds good, I will probably use the dt990's and use my 439's until they completely die for music.

Just now, NotMrTaco said:

okay sounds good, I will probably use the dt990's and use my 439's until they completely die for music.

dont get me wrong the 990's are incredible for the price for music incredibly detailed and sharp. but for a lot of peope who are treble sensitive they can be unlistenable as they are very sharp but that sharpness is great for gaming. highlights footteps very well.